Print Story FSM Gospel, a book review
Short summary: don't buy it.  Hell, don't even borrow it.

As you may or may not have noticed, I've quite enjoyed the whole Flying Spaghetti Monster phenomenon since pretty much when it started.  Mocking Intelligent Design and the people who promote it is pretty much my bread and butter*.  In any case, the venganza.org letter was hillarious, and the reaction it sparked was no less than amazing and wonderful.  For me at least, the best part was the graph showing the correlation of pirates and global temperature.

When I heard there was going to be a FSM gospel published by the venganza author, I jumped on the idea and preordered the book.  I mean why not... it was only like $10 or so.  It arrived the other day and I gave it all a good lookie-poo.

I am sad to have to tell you all what an incredible disspointment the book has been for me.  There was a grand total of one (1) original thing in the entire book that made me laugh, and that was on the damn cover.  The problems with the book are many, but I'll list a few:

• the form factor for the book is all wrong.  The cover actually has a picture of what a proper gospel looks like, but is actually a paperbook in an annoying wide format that wastes a lot of space.  So instead of footnotes, the side notes appear off to the side and are very distracting.
  • the book has a severe lack of focus.  It doesn't seem to know what it's function is supposed to be... is it a satire of ID, is it just mocking ID, is it faux-serious, or is it a random collection of things found on the internet?
  • the lack of focus would be alright if it were structured properly, but it is sadly not.  It's difficult for the reader to shift in the change of tone from satire to serious, from promoting it's own "agenda" to making fun of another.
  • most importantly, it's not funny.  It's repetitive, and kind of lame.
The only reason to buy this book is to donate some money to the guy who created the FSM.  And if you want to do that, I'd suggest a better way would be direct donation instead of purchasing this ill focused and unfunny book.

Notes:
* This is only true because I have no actual bread and butter**
** except in the literal sense, because I have bread and I have butter but not "bread and butter".  Fuck, I'm even confusing myself here.

< Celebrated Soubriquet | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
FSM Gospel, a book review | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Heathen by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:02:05 PM EST
You shall fry in hell!

So...what's up these days, anyway?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

not a whole hell of a lot by theantix (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:32:37 PM EST
pretty much the usual routine plus now applying for jobs too.  Not very exciting indeed, sad to say.

Also, if hell has a fryer, how can it really be all that bad?  Everyone knows that fried things taste better.

The one thing by blixco (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 02:58:00 AM EST
I clearly remember from burning my arm and part of my face was how good it smelled.  I mean, once you get past the burning hair thing.  Then it's like "Who's on the BBQ?"
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Well, you can always by skippy (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:55:14 PM EST
burn the book to keep warm.  Maybe use it to toast your bread?

speaking of the devil! by theantix (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 07:59:28 PM EST
I'll be in town next week for a day or two, so I'll try to drop by your new place and check it out finally.

Only a day or two? by skippy (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 09:41:24 PM EST
But then, it'll only take a few minutes to show you the complete disarray.

By next week we'll probably even have the drywall up in the kitchen, if we're lucky.  Wow, no more exposed frame and insulation!  Maybe I'll have even painted by then (read as: not bloody likely), or perhaps I'll replace the windows there (possible).

Oh, the exciting times here never end!

How 'bout we offer to write and illustrate by calla (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 10:57:18 PM EST
the next FSM bible?

I'm almost ready for an art challenge.

What do you think?

I'm certain that the FSM will bless us for our efforts.

We could certainly do a much better job by theantix (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 04:52:54 PM EST
Hell, I can hardly see much of a way to do worse.

working titles by persimmon (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 05:45:42 PM EST
A second testament of the FSM, or:

• What the pho?
  • Since the udon of time
  • Lo mein! the FSM speaketh
  • The farfelle of man
  • The eightfold condiments: and how they affect noodles
  • Spaetzle: mit die heilige Butter
  • Perhaps you'd like it better back in your pancit, princess

in conclusion, I'm not sure if even theantix can shoulder all the blame that needs to be taken for this comment.
-----
"Nature is such a fucking plagarist."

All titles not only phunny, by calla (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 08:31:07 PM EST
but NICE formatting!!!

Flying Dead Horse Monster by dr k (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 11:15:04 PM EST
The FSM guy was never known for being particularly funny, he was just in-tune enough with the slashdot psyche to catch their attention. Also, the book was written in a couple of weeks, and not by Al Franken.

:| :| :| :| :|

"written in a couple of weeks" by theantix (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 04:51:51 PM EST
oh, you read it too?

was that book by 606 (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 06:14:09 AM EST
actually written by the venganza guy? I thought it was written by someone else.

Such a pity, but the idea of an FSM bible still holds promise.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Yeah, by the original venganza guy by theantix (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 04:51:11 PM EST
It does hold a lot of promise, but the execution was rushed and shoddy.  It's sad, because this will probably kill most future potential of the FSM legacy... or at least stall it a lot.

nah by 606 (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 10:46:53 AM EST
The war on ID continues daily. Mockery is necessary.

Did you see that crocodile-fish they found today? It's pretty damn cool looking.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

I am sorry by theantix (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 06:27:12 PM EST
I think you misunderstand my point... ID still deserves mockery, and a daily dose ought to continue.  It's just that I think the FSM part of the mockery may have run its course, unless a better writer takes the helm of the official enterprise.

I did not see the crocodile-fish though.  linkie-pooh?

i got yer link by 606 (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 07:33:45 AM EST