Print Story Is it Monday already?
By ad hoc (Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:45:26 AM EST) cycling, films, music (all tags)

Yes, yes, I believe it is.

Update [2006-4-3 16:27:46 by ad hoc]: Big Accident. Sirens! Sirens! More sirens! Four helicopters in the air. Much hubub. News Photos

I took the day off on Friday for a nice long bike ride. First day out without any kind of knee warmers or skull caps or shoe covers or jackets or anything. It was quite warm.

I'd planned to head for either Pepperell or maybe Brookline NH, but changedy mind. I got to the end the Minuteman and was going down 225 and decided to follow the upside down pi sign. It seemed to follow another sign that looked like a house. Both seemed recently painted so they were easy to follow for the most part. Upon further investigation, it shows to be the CRW "Apple Pi" ride. [Map]

Ah! And the house shaped one is the CRW "Friday Unwinder" [Map]

But I got to 495 in Stow at 2:00 and decided it was time to turn around since I didn't know where these rides went. Turned back to Concord and came home. Stopped in So. Acton for lunch. A befuddled cafe guy who "was subbing for the girl that's usually here". He was slow, but man was that a good sandwich! Turkey and avocado. MMmmm.

Ended up being about 75 miles, a little too far for the first good weather ride of the season, but I made it back okay, if very, very tired. I'm also feeling the not-being-on-the-bike-for-three-weeks, and the extra 10 pounds I'm carry over last year. But what a nice day. I think I may even have gotten some sunburn. Awesome.

Didn't do anything much on Saturday.

Took the dog for a longish walk on Sunday. Swarms and swarms of media trucks at 1 Norway St. wating for Jill whatshername to get home.

Bought Tropical Brainstorm by Kristy MacColl this weekend after hearing a few tracks on Radio Paradise. I've only listened to the whole thing once, but I like it a lot.

It's a (mostly) Latin-inpsired collection of really good tunes. Very clever lyrics and solid musical lines with some truely beautiful phrasing. It's hard to pick "the best" track, but a video of Mambo de la Luna is included, so that must be the one the label pushed. RP also plays In These Shoes. Treachery, England 2 Columbia 0, and Here Comes That Man Again are also excellent tunes. The bonus tracks, hoever, should have been left off and they are much weaker than the rest.

Ah, the good die young.

Death on the Nile
[Netflix] [IMDb]

A bunch of people who hate each other are on a boat travelling the Nile. Five get killed. Poirot calls them all together to announce the murderer. The end.

Granted, no one will equal David Suchet's Poirot, just like no one will equal Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes. But even granting that will never happen, this is really a second rate effort. Peter Ustanov has an <voice="monty python">outrageous accent</voice>, Belgian or not. Only someone farting in your general direction would talk like that.

An impressive cast, and some of the acting efforts are quite good. Bette Davis and Maggie Smith are notable, and Angela Lansbury is fantastic, but David Niven is woefully underused. (Does Angenla Lansbury get shot in the forehead in every movie?) And every time I saw Lois Chiles, all I could think of is Dr. Goodhead.

Surely, there's something more to the story that what's here. The first half hour sets up how much everyone hates each other, although it's still a mystery how they all end up on the same boat, Then Dr. Goodhead, or whoever, gets shot, then Poirot calls everyone together where he explains what happens. There's never a "game afoot".

This is the same basic story as Evil Under the Sun and I knew who dun it in the first 10 minutes. Bleah.

; would not watch again

Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
[Netflix] [IMDb]

Dr. Cooper develops a drug to cure depression. The drug company he works for wants to market it without proper testing. The drug turns out to have unfortunate side effects. Hilarity ostensibly ensues.

Rarely have I been so dissapointed by a film I really wanted to like. The Kids in the Hall are one of the best and funniest comedy troups ever, equal in every way to Monty Python and better in a lot of ways than Second City TV. But this thing is crap. C-R-A-P. There is maybe one or two funny lines in the movie, but even those are only amusing in an abstract, analytical way. The emo rocker who can only create when he's miserable is sort of interesting, but not exactly funny. The CEO/flunky relationship might have been funny with work. But it wasn't.

I wasn't expecting an extension of the sketches from the tv show no more than I expected Monty Python sketches in Holy Grail or Brian. But where Python showed their brilliant creativity in movie length stories, this just falls flat. I nearly had to fast forward through it looking for something -- anything -- good. I didn't find it. Terribly disapointing.

; would avoid at all costs

< I don't know nothing about birthing no babies | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Is it Monday already? | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh come on! by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:06:24 AM EST
Cancer boy saying 'My marrow is low' or the board of yes men always discussing the success of Stummies!

----

Not even a chuckle by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:24:15 AM EST
Why by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 04:45:28 PM EST
do you hate America Canada?

----

So Brain Candy by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:06:57 AM EST
s head crushing disappointment.

I could have used some Chicken Lady by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 01:28:46 PM EST
Excellent by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:22:53 AM EST
I think Kirsty MacColl's great. England 2, Colombia 0 is my favourite on the album.

And I know just how those Columbians feel by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:25:31 AM EST
re: accident by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 12:08:12 PM EST
Yikes. Had to look carefully, cuz they've been putting up a huge scaffolding around the spire at the church. Still, very sad. :-(

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Yeah by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 12:13:55 PM EST
I walk by there all the time, but not usually on that side of the street.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
We heard the sirens... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 12:41:45 PM EST
from my building in Chinatown. One of my co-workers lives around there somewhere, but fortunately, he wasn't personally affected. What a horrible thing to happen.
I've got more than one membership to more than one club, and I owe my life to the people that I love. - Ani DiFranco
Compliment of the season! by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 01:04:12 PM EST

Mr. Hoc, what would you recommend for someone wanting to be able to bike in the rain? I don't have any rain gear as of now and am thinking of getting some.

Comment subject is from latest 419 email.

Ooh. That depends by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 01:27:59 PM EST
You mean for commuting? Or for century/trip riding?

For century and trip riding, I carry an extra pair of socks or two and just get wet.

I don't do much commuting since I work at home, but I have a rain jacket from REI and some rain pants. I don't like the pants much, they make me sweat too much. The jacket is nice, though. lots of venting holes with a "ride dry" flap that folds out to cover your bum from wheel spray. This isn't it, but it looks a lot like this one.

A regular cycling cap under my helmet seems to do well enough to keep the rain out of my eyes.

The most helpful thing is fenders.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Thanks. by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 05:18:13 AM EST
Yeah, I've got fenders. I'll check out REI this week.

Heh - Dodgy web ad by creo (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 08:04:20 PM EST
I followed your link to boston.com, and there was one of those overlaid web ads for Sullivan tyres featuring a baseball bat.

The kicker?

The bat was swinging (like when a batter wobbles his bat to take the pitch), and the end stroke was right on top of the wrecked car.

Ooops - wonder how many complaints that's gonna get?

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian