Print Story I don't know nothing about birthing no babies
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:27:04 AM EST) Library, karma, crash, runch, all this and more! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Like a refreshing Spring afternoon...

• DKos writes book??? What a hoot. The guy was on NPR last week pimping the book and some guy calls in the show and mentions that any putz can start a blog so while it's neat to be able to share what colour socks your wearing with the rest of the world, it really doesn't mean much in the long run. Well, ol Kos gets all defensive and starts going on about how the best rated blogs are all written by doctors and lawyers and PHD's and whatnot! HA! What a hoot. Anyways, mad props to the guy for making a living out of the whole deal, I'll give him credit for that.
  • I'm returning some DVD's at the library on Saturday and the librarette lady tells me I have a fine on my account for a late DVD. I'm like, "What????" cause I've never returned anything to the library late in my life, I'm far toooooo anal to ever consider letting that happen. She tells me that it's for some Combat! 4 DVD set and it's still checked out. I'm like "What???" cause I didn't have anything checked out at that time. So I told her that and she said "Well, I'll have to do a shelf search and I'll call you if I find it." So I'm like "What????" cause that doesn't sound too technical and I'm getting a bad feeling about it.

She never calls me so I call her the next day and she says she didn't have time to look for it and I'm like "What????" cause I have visions of being forced to make a $40 "donation" to the damn library at this point, so I said I would call her back tomorrow for a new status update, you know, putting the heat on her and whatnot. I called back today and she was all happy and told me that the fine was taken off my account and they found the Combat! DVD set and all was well. Whew. That was a close one. Funny thing though, that was the set that I loaned to my friend who ripped them and burned them to a DVD, so I was thinking that maybe God was getting back at my friend for sinning, but alas! it would seem that God doesn't care about it enough to take action!

• My version of CakeWalk Home Studio keep crashing on me. Like at least once a day. Crash. Boom. I'm starting to get the hang of using it but I'm a little troubled by the thought of putting lots of man hours into a project that may be wiped out. Well, I'm saving often and backing up my files on a regular basis, but this thing shouldn't be crashing all the time. Someone on USENET suggested updating to the latest driver for my soundcard, but I'm rather clueless on how to do this. There doesn't seem to be any updated drivers listed on the creative website and I'm not using their driver anyways, I'm using the ASIO driver that shipped with CakeWalk. Bah. On an unrelated note, how well does the system restore thing work XP?
  • I had a giant helping of Chicken ~y~ Blocorri for runch today. No egg lorr though, I have to wait to be retested for this whole cholesterol thing before I can start eating that crap again.
  • I finally won a battle in CodeName Panzers II. It turns out that keeping your guys alive is key to winning a battle. Thus having lots of medics on hand and sending them into battle with the soldiers is right helpful. It's a pretty neat game all in all. The animated battle scenes are great.
< Brave Men Run (In My Family) | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I don't know nothing about birthing no babies | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:38:05 AM EST
I forget who it is that has the friend with one, but you'll surely hear about it here.. He diarized about it a long time ago.. One of those TX blokes, IIRC.

Anyway, bob, crashy-crashy bang bang ? Maybe if you'd bought a real sound card with real MIDI inputs, real MIDI cables 'n'whatnot, you wouldn't have such problems.. At least it isn't blue screening on you yet..  Or is it, since you're asking about system restore etc..

And the caller into NPR was spot on.. Is KoS a phd/doc/lawyer ? Isn't the lawyer blog that /. links to all the time (about DRM in the courts) run by some rabbid nutso woman with no law degree ?  What quals does KoS have ? He only makes a living off it while folks buy his shit or comment on his board. Like our esteemed MNS cutting on boingo boingo's scene whores Xeni and Cory (and why I give johnny 'name dropper' shit here, since he's not around enough to be a regular), self-referential stardome attracts bugs and moths, not butterflys.. Stop consuming..

DKos has a law degree by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:54:54 AM EST
At least that's what he said. I don't doubt it, he comes off as a fairly bright guy, in some respects. I think he's got some sort of complex though as he was talking up all the money he's making off DKos, says he bought a house in Berkley and doesn't need a regular job and stuff like that. He makes some good points about the problems within the Democratic party, stuff like not having a platform and other obvious things like that, but I don't need to read no book to know that.

re: No, Windows has yet to crash on me, and there's nothing wrong with the sound card, at least as far as I can tell. (You don't need midi inputs on your sound card cause midi is just data anyways although that's a confusing point at first) Most of the crashes have happened when I'm not recording or playing back audio anyways, which leads me to wonder if it's not a driver issue. I think that's a standard response to people when their stuff is crashing. But who knows, having the latest driver is always good I suppose, I don't know jack about this driver stuff.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Woah someone has a bug in their ass by cam (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:48:17 AM EST
These sites have wider recognition because they have large audiences. I prefer that these people get recognition over someone that happened to land a job at a mass-media outlet.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

System restore by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:40:03 AM EST
works pretty darn well, actually, assuming you have clean system retore points.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Oh boy... by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:43:42 AM EST
What's a clean system restore point???

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Hopefully by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:48:38 AM EST
in your list of system restore points, there is one that isn't screwed by whatever it is you are restoring from.  In other words: a restore point that isn't affected by your software.

There will be at least one.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I always 'do a shelf search' for myself by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:42:52 AM EST
And unless it's a big fine, I just stick it in the return box like I just then brought it back.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I do the reverse of this, by garlic (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:57:47 AM EST
and shelf things that are going to get me big fines and tell them that I've already returned it.

That's whack by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:19:29 AM EST
You could end up paying to replace the item as opposed to paying a fine. The maximum late fee for DVD's is only $7, much cheaper than the cost to replace a 4 DVD set.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

not when I tell them it's on the shelf. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 11:52:34 AM EST
Plus, this is at the same library that submitted me to a collection agency because I forgot to return a book.

Yeah but by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:59:26 AM EST
I wasn't going to pay the fine cause it wasn't late, and if I did this high tech shelf search myself there's no way for me to prove that I didn't just bring it back. Not that I could prove it anyways but you'd have to be some kind of looooonatic to cram a late item on the shelf and pretend that you brought it back on time and they screwed up and didn't scan it.

Anyways, I win in the end. Bob Abooey 1, The Man 0.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

OTOH, unfairly fined by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 01:39:15 PM EST
OTOH, I never begrudge Monet given to the library. I suppose if my librarians were big crabs all the time (*cough*AMHERST*cough*) I might be more a stickler.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Way to stand up for the Man Bob by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 10:52:18 AM EST
because you know those libraries will just waste that money on liberalist stuff for people to poor to buy or rent their own stuff.

anyone who would call in by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 04:23:28 PM EST
to yell at dkos is by definition a blogger wishing he was making as much money as dkos is.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

That wasn't really the point by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 04:23:10 AM EST
DKos's book is basically talking about how the Internet/bloggin is changing the nature of politics. The caller stated that it wasn't because most people who blog aren't any more qualified/informed than the average putz in the local coffee shop, which is a valid point. That doesn't mean they don't have something interesting to say, but speaks more to the fact that while they may be interesting they may not know their arse from a hole in the ground.

That was a point that DKos missed as he got defensive and started to go on about how the "top" bloggers are lawyers and doctors and blah blah blah.

Warmest regards,