Print Story Modest Effects with SVG, version 4.0
Software
By NoMoreNicksLeft (Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 03:39:16 PM EST) svg, javascript, 3d, database, sql, blender (all tags)
The latest of my SVG applets is functional, but not complete.
(potentially not safe for work, anatomically correct male 3d model in non-lewd pose)

You can draw on the surface of the model with either the point or rectangle tools.

Eventually, I'll get around to figuring out the best way for the other freehand drawing tools also.

Besides that, there needs to be a easy way to delete those shapes... probably a list down the side. This is going to be crowded, if I continue to use the same "popup" method I have been. Those who have not checked it out lately, should take a peek, instead of opening new windows for each of the various wizards, it opens in a floating modal div on top of the page.

Trouble is with this one, sizes for the SVG applet below 400x400 seem too small to be helpful. Besides that, we need another (smaller) instance of the image itself, sitting next to it as a comparison. Let's assume it has a portrait aspect ratio. Even then, even scaled down, it's going to be about 200 pixels wide, maybe. Since they have to be side by side (probably), that's 600 pixels of screen real estate there. That's before the list of shapes, before any of the other miscellaneous widgets. Going to be a tight fit.

I've finally gotten a little used to Blender3d. And, I've even managed to wrestle it into compliance. 3 lousy steps though, to get a decent mask of the model. That took a couple of hours. You need to render the image in PNG RGBA format. However, the background is transparent, with the model. Open in gimp, select the model, invert the selection, paint the background black again. Invert the selection, delete. Then you can import into inkscape, and do bitmap tracing. Sounds simple now, but took awhile cause I was still looking for a step to generate the raster mask directly.

I won't even bother to bitch about Blender's interface, others have done it more, and better.

What else? Well, though I've not figured out the interface yet, you will be able to change the angle on the guy. Maybe a dial? But you'll be able to see him from front, sides, back, and the 4 intermediate angles. Also a few closeups of certain important parts... and no, not that. Specifically the face, the hands. Probably oughtta do the bottoms of the feet too, but who the hell gets tattoos there? Maybe closeups of the chest too. Stuff like that. Figure, say 20 different angles total.

Then, somewhere, I have to find a decent female model. I'm worried about texture map distortions, if I use an asexual 3d model in the chest. Does anyone know where to find one? (Particularly if it has a male 3d model in the same style)

Then, using the blender model (saved in the blender format which is supposedly open, for each angle), I've got to write backend code to somehow figure out what texture map would match the shapes you guys paint on the picture. Not going to be fun at all.

But, when done, an applet that will take care of the following: tattoos, tanlines, body hair, freckles, any fluid, piercings (if in an unusual location), and just about anything else where the location on the is the data we're trying to collect.

How exactly though, do you reconcile 3d model texture maps with a database? The idea is, you can literally pick any location, even past the mesh triangle resolution, down to the pixel level (though, just how fine-grained there will be hard to say... this applet will only allow so much fidelity). You want to see who has tattoos 3 inches above and 2.7 inches to the right of their bellybutton? Have at it. Those are probably going to have to sit outside of the database somehow, or have their own specialty db engine for it.

< quote of the day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Modest Effects with SVG, version 4.0 | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
this is a drunk and almost certaiunly unhelpful by TPD (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 04:30:58 PM EST
comment.

Have you looked at makeHuman (not sure if you can export their models) or just export poser figures (somewhere I have a copy of an earlier version).

If not there are quite a lot of .obj files about (which is also a piss easy format for handling)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Someone... by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 06:49:18 AM EST
Actually commented elsewhere that they believe the model I'm using now is makehuman. It might be, I just stumbled onto it.

I've looked it up, but not even sure what it is. Is it just a set of python scripts for blender? Does it include some human meshes already?

As for Poser, from what I remember anything above v4 has some really nice meshes, but before that they're pretty stanky. Oh... and whoever I sweettalk into exporting the meshes for me, I kinda need them to raise the arms to level. This thing was already boned, and it was still a pain in the ass to get them where they needed to be.

I just wonder if all of this is going to work.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

I couldn't move him by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 08:12:46 AM EST
other than the rotations provided. Bug or Feature?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Too generous to call it a feature. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 10:08:58 AM EST
In the year 2075, where we have x10,000 times the computing power than we have now, there are all sorts of things that would be done differently.

But for now, trying to render a model with that many triangles on the fly... whether locally on your client, or on my server, it's just not feasible.

So, I'm pre-rendering the model from all the important angles, and serving them as PNGs. The PNGs are embedded in the SVG so that I can hide one, put up another. In addition, there are bitmasks that cover the surrounding area, but not the guy in the PNG. When a drawn circle or rectangle is put up, it's above the PNG, but beneath the mask... you can't draw on the black background itself. Which makes for a neat effect where a shape should overlap both.

I'm hoping that only having a fixed number of angles will not be so much of a burden. For most tattoos (and the other uses), the current (along with the proposed closeups I've not done) angles should be sufficient, shouldn't they?

Of course, I've not even started on calculating the resultant texture maps yet. I barely managed the 1982 computer 3d stuff on my other applets though, so I'm getting kinda worried. Wish I had $1000 to throw at some indian or chinese programmer.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

surely these are immodest effects? -nt- by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 09:34:19 AM EST