Print Story Life Stuff and Death Stuff
By toxicfur (Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 11:59:16 AM EST) (all tags)
  • BHuSi Lunch and Shopping
  • Work, or the Lack Thereof
  • Final Arrangements and Complicated Grief

As ana and Kellnerin have already mentioned, a Boston HuSi lunch was had yesterday. The usual suspects at what is ordinarily an excellent Indian restaurant. The food was great, and the lack of quantity on the buffet ensured that I didn't gorge myself the way I usually do. The company was better. I'm occasionally reminded that, contrary to popular perception, the intarwebs have enhanced my real-life friendships.

After eating, ad hoc and I went tattoo shopping. We'd intended to check out some shops in Cambridge, but in the week and a half since our original plan, I settled on a place that I've only heard good things about. We checked out the various portfolios and I settled on an artist who specializes in black and gray art. The design I want is pretty detailed and is going to take a light hand to do well, and from the portfolios, I have confidence that this dude (not on the website, unfortunately) will do a good job. I want just the tree, on my upper arm, with the tip of the tree curling onto the top of my shoulder, and the branches curving around my arm. I'm looking forward to talking to the artist to find out how much of my concept is doable.

I set up a consultation appointment for Monday, and then, upon arriving home, realized there's a work function I want to attend, so I got it changed to a week from tomorrow, in the evening. I'm hoping ana and I can use the appointment for a date, in a part of town we don't usually visit. We need a bit of fun, I think. After the consultation, I should be able to get the tattoo in a week. The main dude has a waiting list - the first available appointment isn't until January. His stuff is fantastic, but not fantastic enough to wait almost a year and then spend about twice as much.

Setting up the appointment didn't take long, so ad hoc and I took his dog for a walk down the Esplanade. Perfect weather, good conversation, and a puppy. What could be better?

There's not a lot going on, work-wise. There was a meeting today, for another very tight deadline, and I was thankful iGrrrl was there to make sure I didn't promise to write the whole damn thing or something. I tend to agree to doing whatever I feel capable of doing, even if that means sacrificing weekends, evenings and sanity while doing it. It's an impulse I need to learn to control. Otherwise, this week, it looks like I'll actually use some of the comp time I've accrued.

I miss Teh Dawg, sometimes more intensely than others. Today, when I got home, there was a message from the vet's office saying that the cremation place/pet cemetery had picked her up, but that we hadn't called to make arrangements. In the midst of the loss, we didn't ask any questions about "final arrangements" as the commercials for sketchy life insurance call it, and I kind of assumed that the vet's office took care of that sort of thing.

So I called the number on the brochure they'd given me (without explaining why they'd given us the brochure) and talked to a very nice woman who explained the process and that it would be about six weeks before we'll get the ashes back. "We value accuracy more than speed, and we ask for your patience." She was apologetic, and what could I say? "Ok, that's fine." They're sending me the paperwork and we'll have to pick out an urn. I've never dealt with anything like this - my previous deceased pets have all been buried in my yard or my mom's yard, but they were all small enough that it was feasible.

These kinds of details bring the complication of my grief over losing my dog into sharp relief. I miss my dog. I miss hearing her breathe while she naps, always listening for perceived danger. I miss her kisses and her annoying habit of wanting to play when I wasn't in the mood. I even miss her barking at the mailman.

On top of - or underlying? - this tangible and comprehensible grief for Teh Dawg, is fear for my mom, who is dying of cancer. Somewhere in my unconscious, I think I linked Sadie's fate with my mom's - as long as the chemo had worked for Sadie, maybe it would work for my mom. Maybe she'd be healthy, maybe she'd beat the unbeatable cancer. For a while, there was hope, until there wasn't. It made my mom's illness more real - less an abstraction of something that will happen in the future. There will be a time, perhaps sooner rather than later, when I'll have to be making calls to funeral homes and figuring out estates, all while figuring out what to do when I can't call my mom for a recipe or medical advice or just to talk about who got sent home on American Idol. If losing my dog makes me want to curl into a ball and stop functioning, how am I going to manage to keep going when I lose my mom?

Interwoven with grief and fear is guilt. I sometimes think I believe in karma, and perhaps Sadie's death was the universe's way of punishing me. There are coincidences of timing that make me wonder if there really are coincidences. Less esoterically, I feel guilty for every time I yelled at Sadie to please, just shut the fuck up. I feel guilty for not taking her on more walks, for leaving her in kennels, for not giving her more hugs. I feel guilty for the five years I barely spoke to my mom, for the fights we've had, for the times I've intentionally and unintentionally made her feel bad about herself. I feel bad for not paying more attention to the things she's tried to teach me, and I worry that I'm going to have even more regrets when she's gone. Mortality is great in theory, but in practice there's just never enough time.

< So Kiss Me And Smile For Me | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Life Stuff and Death Stuff | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A bit self-centered of you by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 02:08:32 PM EST
"Interwoven with grief and fear is guilt. I sometimes think I believe in karma, and perhaps Sadie's death was the universe's way of punishing me."

You would like believe that you had some control over the situation of your dog's death. Untrue, however. I'm sorry this is the case, but it's something we all need to face sooner or later.

Yes, of course it's self-centered. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 02:55:24 PM EST
When bad things happen in my world, it's always my fault - a defect in my character or something I did to bring it about. When good things happen in my world, it's thanks to someone else's generosity or magnanimity.

Yes, this is utterly and completely irrational.
I've got more than one membership to more than one club, and I owe my life to the people that I love. - Ani DiFranco

You've got a lot of good things in your life by debacle (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 05:22:49 PM EST
I at least hope you take credit for a few of them.

friend's dog by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 02:22:13 PM EST
is in a small wooden urn with a slot in the front where a picture of said pet goes. his collar is on top.
Send me to Austria!
I have a spot on a shelf... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 02:58:28 PM EST
with Sadie's collar and leash and foodbowl and my deceased cat Sabre's collar. There are also pictures of all my pets, so it's a sort of memorial for those who have passed and a place to honor those still around. I'm planning to bury Sadie's ashes in her favorite part of the yard and plant something on top of them. I might put some sort of a marker there as well, but I don't really want to keep her ashes on the shelf.
apparently by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 06:52:09 PM EST
you can get pet memorials in the form of a decorated rock. For those who can afford it, you can go all out and get a stone bench. I wish I could get one of the benches for my dad's horse, but the prices are kinda high.

I am glad he had a neighbor with a backhoe that was willing to dig the 10 foot hole for free. The vet was very very kind, when my dad got back & told him he would be in to the office to pay him next week, the vet told my dad not to worry about it. I wish I could have been there with my dad, but he prolly would have been embarrassed to cry in front of me. He has only cried in front of me a handful of times.

Whee....Flyin' is Fun!!!

Some of the pet memorials are really nice. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 02:14:50 AM EST
I've never used anything like that, when pets have died, but it might be worthwhile to get something tasteful as a marker.

I was also really sorry to hear about your dad's horse, too. :-( That's such a huge loss, and my thoughts are with you and him.

The best remedy for grief by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 09:41:25 AM EST
has always, for me, been tattoos. I have three for pets, with two more being planned. Unfortunately (fortunately), I keep (kept) mice, so the army is building.

It's just nice to have them with me all the time.

I hope the tree goes well!

ypu're a chair
I will post pix after I get the tree. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 09:54:52 AM EST
It'll only be my second tattoo, but I have high hopes it'll go well.

Mice are great pets, though as far as rodents go, I prefer rats. My Sarda was a wonderful and loving companion, and I still miss her.

I'd say something profound and... by Metatone (4.00 / 2) #10 Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 11:10:37 AM EST
comforting...
but I'm not good a that. I always seem to slip into cliches.

So, my sympathies. I guess the only advice is keep uncurling from the ball and putting one foot in the other. In some undefinable way, it does get not better, but easier to bear, with time.

Life Stuff and Death Stuff | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback