Print Story Ask: The Cool Kids
By DesiredUsername (Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 03:17:25 AM EST) (all tags)
What do The Cool Kids use for....

...quick and easy Lunix (or cross-platform) game development? A tiny bit of googling brought me to what I remember was hot (in the sense of everybody on /. had heard of it) years ago, ClanLib.

Plusii:

• Does not consist solely of an abandoned SourceForge page
  • A new version has come out as recently as 2 months ago
  • Seems to work OK
Minusii:
  • Very little documentation (ObOpenSores)
  • Tutorials are thin where the links even still work
  • Seems to be very little buzz on any of the internets (i.e. no user community)
  • Had to make one minor, but WTFish, change to make the libraries compile (which in turn took at least 90 minutes, no kidding).

I'm already well-started on the Pacman clone Number One insisted I make and I'm thinking about a networked something or other we can play against each other, however I'm not so invested in ClanLib that I couldn't drop it for something better.

I totally had something else but it is, like, gone from my brain, dude.

Update [2006-4-24 8:22:6 by DesiredUsername]: Maybe this was it. I borrowed Here Come the ABCs from the library and it rocks. I can't get "F Is For Fake-Believe" out of my head right now and "Can You Find It" was stuck there last night. Oh and the Numbers like it a lot too.

Update [2006-4-24 9:6:38 by DesiredUsername]: Oh wait, I really do remember now. I'm on this Freecycle mailing list. A few weeks ago, somebody wanted "plastic play equipment" and I have some I want to get rid of, so I dragged it to the front yard and tipped them off. They eventually emailed back and said it was too big. OK, whatev. Then another person wanted it and was very, very excited about it. Multiple exclamation points....but they never came and got it, despite frequent claims that they were about to. On Thursday I finally emailed back and said "It's still here, but I'm going to have to mow soon so eventually I'm going to post it was available." I got back an almost instant reply: "It'll be gone by Friday evening!!!" It wasn't. On Saturday morning, a guy just happened to drive by and asked if it was for sale. I said he could take it as long as he did it right now. He did. You snooze, you lose.

< Kittens, puppys, flowers, sunshine, golf and other lovely things. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask: The Cool Kids | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
pygame by gpig (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 03:34:47 AM EST

I've used it for some stuff which was non-game, but heavily graphical. I can confirm that it rocks. The docs are pretty good (by Open Source standards they are excellent) and there's plenty of example code floating around.
(,   ,') -- eep

Oh, damn! by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 03:37:04 AM EST
I love Python and hate C++, which ClanLib requires. Maybe I should switch right now.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Double thanks by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 03:33:39 PM EST
I'm using Pygame now and I've gotten more done in an hour than I did in several hours on Sunday in C++ with ClanLib.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Happy to help by gpig (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 02:29:13 AM EST
Keep posting, I'd be interested to see how it turns out. I'm doing some maths tuition at the moment and I'm pondering a game to help with this.
(,   ,') -- eep
I'll probably post a link when I'm done by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 02:44:30 AM EST
since it won't require the hours and hours of compilation that a clanlib version would have. OTOH, It's just a stupid little Pacman clone.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Oh and by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 02:45:23 AM EST
I'm very interested in educational/visualization games, particularly for math, so keep me posted on that.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Meh, if you MUST develop on Lunix by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 04:45:00 AM EST
ClanLib is tolerable, I suppose.  You'll have to invest a lot of time into comprehending it though, and then you'll be neck deep in cognitive dissonance.  I bailed out when it started restricting what I could do; I really don't like libraries that oblige my app to be a subclass.  No, biatch, you're my biatch.  Biatch.

As an alternative, try SDL, which knows its place a bit better.

You could also look at Ogre, but that's another fine example of an API that thinks its a platform.  Fucker does its own memory allocation, even.

I'd actually - and seriously - suggest that you use DirectX and if you must have it run it under Lunix, then use WineX and tell the little whiny biatches who'll make up your users to do likewise, and quit their little biatch whining.  DirectX 9 is so much better documented and supported than any hippy API, that any issues you'll have with WineX will be well worth it.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

All I have is Lunix by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 04:51:29 AM EST
unless you could my wife's Mac, which I wouldn't do even if she let me. So, trollering aside, it doesn't make much sense for me to write for another platform and run it non-natively on the only machine it's going to run on.

3D is more than I need and now that I know pygame exists I'm very reluctant to go C/C++.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Plastic play equipment by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 05:01:55 AM EST
If I put anything like that in my front yard, it wouldn't last one night, let alone one weekend.

In fact, it probably wouldn't last the night in my back yard either unless I chained it down.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the CW is that if you had put a ``for sale'' sign on it to start with, it would have disappeared the first night out.

Cicero, The Republic