Print Story A Day in the Life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 11:01:08 PM EST) A Day in the Life, cubicle, fucktards, databases, LOL What, WTF, pie (all tags)
You think YOU'RE sick of it?

Verbatim ticket:

We are exhausted with two things:

1) Microsoft incompatibilty
2) Functionalities being taken away.

Lemme tell you something, buddy. We're sick of it, too. Every time Microsoft release a patch to fix a few dozen of the thousands of bugs they know about, they break functionality. Worse, what they break or remove often revolves around a previously recommended method.

x-posted from the blog

What did they take away? On April 11 they released patch 912812 which forces a modification on IE due to the Eolas patent case. In order to get around the patent dispute, IE now requires some sort of user interaction before running any embedded content. The way around that is to embed content dynamically using VBScript or JScript, a giant pain in the ass.

We use a lot of ActiveX. This one isn't our fault (save for the fact that we used ActiveX to begin with). The patch to break IE was optional when released at the end of February. It was first announced that it would be forced onto machines in the April 11 security roll-up on April 1. Thanks for the warning, guys. We need more than a week and a half to reprogram three major versions of our software.

The last time they boned us this badly was with XP SP2. We used to use background window pops to pass data between some ActiveX components. Microsoft had not only recommended the method, we had their developers working with our software monkeys to make the damned pops work the way they were supposed to.

This shouldn't have come as a surprise since they'd screwed us royally with the JVM/JRE fiasco. All our components were filled with the poisoned Microsoft JVM-only stuff. MS had to stop making the JVM available, we had to work with it, then shortly afterwards, a patch came out from Redmond which removed the JVM. Yet despite the hell this caused us for months, we went with their ActiveX.

So anyway, I understand when Aunt Minnie questions why she has to get a new version of some software even though her helpful XP Home machine just finished telling her her it had loaded the updates and that her computer was just peachy. What I don't understand is a goddamned "system administrator" who doesn't read MSKB documents on a patch, can't grok the fact that major code changes have to be made to our software, and that those changes can't be written and tested inside two weeks.

Bootnote: he didn't like the suggestion that he could stop patching his Windows servers and workstations. Quoth he: "I have to patch the Windows machines. I just don't want to have to patch your software anymore. It should just work."

Even Notepad gets patched: the current version is 5.1.2600.2180, dumbass.

Root Cause: 3-3rd party
Sub-type: Microsoft OS

Actual Root Cause: 17-Fuckwit
Sub-type: Lazy-ass whiner

< Just to join the crowd | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: BerkeleyDB by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 11:07:58 PM EST
Ahh, only joking.  MySQL.  Aaahaha, I just can't stop!

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Would sir care to purchase a new flogging stick? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 11:44:24 PM EST
Surely your others have been worn out by now.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Teh fuck? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 12:50:55 AM EST
Were you raised by a family of Berekely Databasen or something?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
OMG ROR!!! by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 01:02:29 AM EST
Hells no. I did specify Enterprise database, right? Yes, I most certainly did.

I don't care to getinto a war of insults but that /.-style comment was really beneath you. I know you can do better and I hope, in pointing this out to you, to help you increase the quality of your comments through the understanding such insight as I provide you may give.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

See, I think we're laughing about the same thing by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 01:04:03 AM EST
But I'm laughing with you, and you've got sand in your centipede's vaginas.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
OMG! WTF! LOL n00b! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 04:31:27 AM EST
Go and learn some arthropod biology before you try and get sophisticated with your insults, eh?

9 out of 10 sysops by cam (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 02:59:57 AM EST

prefer urinating elephants to dead horse beatings.

urine

it is more outsourcy.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

You said: by edward (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 12:20:03 AM EST
"All our components were filled with the poisoned Microsoft JVM-only stuff."

Since the lesson wasn't learned the first time, I wonder why anyone should care about your whinging this time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go let my hair grow long and not take a shower.

Oh how I did scream. by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 12:43:51 AM EST
At the time the initial architecture decisions were being made the JVM was still working. I'd written enhancement requests to get JRE support because so many companies wanted it and they were all turned down, so we got caught out.

When I heard about how the whole client was to be implemented with ActiveX, I again started writing mail to a lot of different people despite my lowly position. These mails were again ignored. However... proof of my having been right again and again is part of the permanent record. They still won't listen to me but it look pretty good on my annual review.

I continually warned against Microsoft dependency; my advice went unheeded. However, due to changes afoot, we shall soon be distancing ourselves from Microsoft at a relatively at a very respectable speed considering the size of the organisation.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Wonderful. by edward (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 01:25:46 AM EST
To celebrate, maybe I will take a shower after all. I don't know if I should start brushing my teeth though.

ouch by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 02:15:14 PM EST
> he didn't like the suggestion that he could stop
> patching his Windows servers and workstations.

Bwahahahaha.

I feel your pain, but surely you can't expect people to be happy with that advice?

A Day in the Life | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback