Print Story hungry!
By Merekat (Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:20:43 AM EST) (all tags)
After a week of almost exclusively junk food, I bought only healthy(ish) things to eat this week, and enough of it to make a lunch for work every day.

So, in an adapted homage to Mr. Escargot, here is what I intend(ed) to eat today vs. what has actually been consumed.

Intended Breakfast:
- oats, yoghurt and banana
Actual Breakfast:
- banana, espresso, both about an hour after originally intended

Intended lunch:
- Pitta bread stuffed with grilled chicken, hummous and salad.
Actual lunch:
- Pitta bread stuffed with grilled chicken, hummous and salad plus two squares of 85% cocoa solids chocolate.

Intended dinner:
- Polenta with bacon, mushroom, minced beef and tomato sauce.
Actual dinner:
- At least two hours away and I'm bloody starving.

I am learning that the key to an edible salad is green things that actually taste of something (rocket, watercress, spinach, some herbs) and a nice dressing. No iceberg. So far in my brief existence as a salad eater the following simple salad dressings have been found edible:

• lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning
  • balsamic vinegar, olive oil and seasoning
That gets me to Tuesday before repetition is necessary. Recipes for salad dressings  are therefore appreciated.
< Me is gettin' hitched | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
hungry! | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dressing by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:26:59 AM EST
You don't even need the seasoning really. My fave is olive oil and lime juice.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Interesting variation by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:28:22 AM EST
And as far as seasoning goes, I put black pepper on nearly everything I eat, regardless.

Dressing by hulver (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:27:30 AM EST
Grind up a garlic clove in a pestle with some salt. Beat in olive oil and white wine vinegar (2 parts vinegar to 1 part oil). Use straight away.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
My variation... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:45:23 AM EST
roast three cloves of garlic on a bed of coarse-ground salt. Mash cloves with a mortar and pestle, add a bit of salt and a teaspoon-ish of good mustard (I use Coleman's - the mixed stuff, not the dry). Whisk in a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and about a half a teaspoon of dried tarragon until fully blended. Then slowly pour in good-quality olive oil, whisking until it's a consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.

We eat this on salads and I use it on roasted vegetables (especially asparagus - yum).
I've got more than one membership to more than one club, and I owe my life to the people that I love. - Ani DiFranco

If you can get hold of it by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:47:08 AM EST
Sumack is a great salad seasoning.  You'll find it in Turkish/Greek corner shops.  Make an ordinary olive oil and lemon juice dressing, drizzle it over the salad and give the salad a little bounce to ensure coating.  Then sprinkle on a little sumack.

Best salad dressing by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 07:15:21 AM EST
Chicken, bacon, and cheese.

My salad dressing recipe: by thenick (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 07:20:00 AM EST
  1. Go to local grocery store.
  2. Find the dressing aisle.
  3. Spend five minutes debating whether to get the Kraft Italian dressing or the store brand Italian dressing.
  4. Realize that the store brand is on sale when you use your discount card.
  5. Remember that you left the set of keys with your discount card on it at home.
  6. Buy the store brand anyways since both dressings probably came out of the same vat at ConAgra.

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

What's so wrong with repitition? by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 08:02:06 AM EST
I have the same breakfast and lunch EVERY DAY.  Literally.

Breakfast 1: 400KCal carbs + whey protein
Breakfast 2: Multi-grain bagel w/vegan 'butter' spread.
Breakfast 3: Two bananas

Lunch 1: 300kCal carbs + whey protein
Lunch 2: 1/3 cup couscous w/ hummus and cucumber and 1 whole wheat pita w/ hummus.

With the exception of weekends, when I eat less solid food and more of the carbs + whey mixture, I have this.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Why vegan by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 08:21:14 AM EST
If you eat whey?

I try to avoid meat and dairy, with exceptions. by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 09:31:11 AM EST
Whey is the best protein humans can get, scoring 1.25-1.5x better than eggs (the benchmark) on absorption and utilization.  It takes literally tons of milk to produce relatively little whey, hence why I don't consume dairy products.  I've also found that my head is a lot clearer since I stopped with the dairy.

I also need ~140g protein/day, which is a lot when you completely remove meat from the equation.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Are you sure? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 09:57:08 AM EST
I have 3 litres of whey in the fridge made from 4 litres of milk.

I don't know how much whey protein that is.

I find too much dairy blocks the sinuses, too.

140g is a largeish amount of protein, I guess, but a quick check of my "for enteral use only, suitable as a sole source of nutrition" shake suggests it's proportional to a 16MJ/day diet.

Whey protein isolate by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 10:23:47 AM EST
Extracting just the protein from the whey is a low-yield process.  I don't know the exact numbers, but it's pretty low and not cheap.

The sports nutrition literature I go by suggests 2-2.2g per kg of lean body weight (total body weight - fat weight).  I typically take 100-125g of whey per day and get the rest from other sources.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
because by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 11:31:29 PM EST
I look on food as more than fuel.

Heinz Salad Cream by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 01:06:08 PM EST
HEINZ SALAD CREAM>

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You utter filth by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 02:43:20 PM EST
No-wonder Scotland's crack-whore to mere slag ratio's 1:1 if that's what you're shoving down your throats.

It is but a poor man's1 copy of the one true condiment.

1Which, I suppose, could be interpreted as all of Scotland

Fuck's sake by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 02:46:28 PM EST
Just read TFA, it was invented in Harlesden man, Harlesden.

Christ, apparently it was "particularly popular during wartime rationing." 'Kin 'ell, cardboard was popular due to wartime rationing, what kind of an achivement IS this?

Gah!

Honey and mustard. by herbert (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 01:55:18 AM EST
Olive oil, some kind of vinegar, honey, mustard.

hungry! | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback