Print Story A chair with a view
By MissTrish (Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:22:14 PM EST) (all tags)
Pics of new setup inside

Also: I acquire out of date computer toys for free.

At the beginning of the end at work, the first day I knew it was over, a regular walked in and listened to me and Co-Worker discussing Quake IV. At a commercial break, while we paused for breath, Regular commented, "I have a free monitor if either of you want it."

When I went to pick it up, he was holding a box, unexpected. "It's like Christmas," he says. I look inside and find a grubby little Wacom tablet. "The plastic got all bubbly, so I got a new one. I wasn't sure if you could use it."

Summary: Taxi. Peel plastic. "Just buy a new plastic cover." Video cards. joe /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Two monitors! Bored. Forgot, tablet! WD-40. Clean tablet. Plug. Works! GIMP.

Result:

In my celebratory Hole entry, I promised pics of the new setup. Please to be satisfied, I like playing with the new/old tablet. Takes some getting used to though.

Points to anyone who can identify what monitor two is playing.

< I used my penis... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A chair with a view | 49 comments (49 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Guess: by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:27:19 PM EST
So, You Have Parkinson's

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Close by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:29:40 PM EST
Clue: speakers give dialogue

jeez, what a jerk. by rmg (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:51:26 PM EST
i didn't think the drawing was that bad.

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.
damn by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:33:57 PM EST
I woulda guess you'd be a nano user, not joe.

Blizzard of Death '06
blame 256 by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:39:27 PM EST
fore everything you can. But specifically, first loading of my computer he snapped because gedit was the default. result: joe is now used.

vim by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #21 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:08:07 PM EST
is the one true editor

Blizzard of Death '06
I know not by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #25 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:16:28 PM EST
what you speak of. I have heard of vi, but not vim.

vi is great. by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #34 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 06:01:29 PM EST
It is succinct, fast and ubiquitous, two virtues in a text editor. vim is vi plus lots of goodies like split screen editing and more modern regexes.

wait a minute. by rmg (2.00 / 0) #36 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 06:58:41 PM EST
what does "vim" stand for?

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.
VI - IMproved!!! by erso (2.00 / 0) #48 Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 11:04:49 AM EST
Of course!

+1, Lain Poster by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:36:20 PM EST
My guess for monitor 2:  "Timmy teaches the birdiomicus and beesidors"

----
i wish they'd make hitler toilet paper
-mns

Even better than Lain by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:40:02 PM EST
"Serial Experiments: Rein" I love Engrish.

very awesome.... by randomxs (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 02:59:31 PM EST
pix is cool

"When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him." - Thomas Szasz
Firefly by Greener (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 03:00:44 PM EST
Wash playing with dinosaurs on the bridge.
-Yes...this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... this land.
-I think we should call it your grave!
-Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
-Hahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!

I know this because I watched it last week.

indeed by 256 (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 03:04:08 PM EST
personally, i am wondering where she got the widescreen version of Firefly (a television show).

don't hurt me, please
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Granted by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 03:45:20 PM EST
I made the screen a little...wider by accident, but I question nothing that comes from the God of Computers. Also, never aired, the pilot.

ypu're a chair
doesn't matter whether it aired or not by 256 (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:05:09 PM EST
i still doubt it was shot in 16:9
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I see black by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:12:13 PM EST
I draw black. You wanna fight? My room, throw down, biatch. Or kitchen. Wherever.

ypu're a chair
you can't handle this heat by 256 (4.00 / 3) #14 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:19:24 PM EST

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
No cuddles. by MissTrish (4.00 / 4) #15 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:33:11 PM EST

ypu're a chair
i made another CFC entry by 256 (4.00 / 7) #17 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:43:01 PM EST

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
well, fuck by MissTrish (4.00 / 3) #18 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:48:00 PM EST
I was just going to make a scale drawing of your cock. Touche, you wonderful bastard.

ypu're a chair
do it anyway. by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #35 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 06:49:06 PM EST
just because.
Send me to Austria!
You already did. by edward (4.00 / 1) #38 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 08:53:43 PM EST
Twice. Once at the end of the word "cock" and the other at the end of "bastard". It's just a little dot, so it's kind of hard to see.

bad boy, needs some spanking by sobeinom (2.00 / 0) #30 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:27:01 PM EST
Come on don't have to be mean.  Where's the love in this world. Can't we just get alone, and think of the children; you mustn't forget the children in all of this.

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • um..... by 256 (2.00 / 0) #31 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:32:04 PM EST
    Can't we just get alone, and think of the children

are you coming on to me? in a really creepy pederastastic way?
    I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

hello (wink wink) by sobeinom (2.00 / 0) #32 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:52:30 PM EST
    "are you coming on to me?" Only if you are a sexy milf, aged between 25-40.

"in a really creepy pederastastic way?" Whatever works baby.

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • This flame war is much better than by komet (4.00 / 1) #42 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 04:12:07 AM EST
    the CBB one. 256: 1, Cheeseburger Brown: 0

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
    it's really disturbing by 256 (4.00 / 1) #37 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 07:31:04 PM EST
    how much this looks like me.

also, i think it's watching me.
    I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

CRAP by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #41 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 03:58:16 AM EST
    I was totally going to say "Wherever you go, the eyes seem to follow you." but I didn't think of it until I read your comment.

A lot of TV drama is these days. by Greener (4.00 / 1) #20 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:05:37 PM EST
    The version I have (DVD rip) is 704x384 which puts the ratio at 1.83:1 or 16.5:9 which is the most common film resolution. Lost, Buffy and My Name is Earl (other TV shows I have handy) are 1.78:1 or 16:9 which HDTV resolution. Some movies are even filmed in 2.35:1 (anamorphic) which is close to the 2.76:1 ratio on MissTrish's screen.

ER has been widescreen since 2000.

Sorry, I'm a geek about these things.

I need you by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #22 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:12:43 PM EST
    In my room to make mean comics about 256. He rebuts too slow. To be accurate, I did draw the screen with too much black. The actual is probably closer to the 16:9. Or 16.5:9. Or whatever. See comic and sig.

to be precise by 256 (4.00 / 2) #24 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:16:05 PM EST

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
    you know by MissTrish (4.00 / 2) #26 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:22:16 PM EST

ypu're a chair
    where you going with this? by 256 (4.00 / 1) #28 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:24:40 PM EST
    cause i'd be more than happy to give you a refresher course in "aspect ratios".

if you know what i mean.
    I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

and.... by MissTrish (4.00 / 2) #29 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:24:46 PM EST

I'd love to by Greener (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:23:03 PM EST
    but my Serenity torrent just completed and I'll be busy for the next couple hours.

DingDingDing! by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 03:47:11 PM EST
    Congrats. Please note, one episode or another is always playing on that screen.

ypu're a chair
    Tablets Are The Ambrosia Of Input Devices by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #19 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 04:50:21 PM EST
    I adore my tablets. I think that it probably took using one all day, every day for about six years before I was really able to duplicate whatever I would've been able to do with physical media -- to get a really natural stroke that was in control and expressive (or at least as in control and expressive as I'd been able to rassle up before).

A secondary side benefit (or problem, depending on your perspective) is that people unaccustomed to using a tablet will find it nearly impossible to use your computer -- it's security through irritation.

Also, I like scratching my head with the stylus when I'm thinkermerating.

I'm still getting used to by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:15:23 PM EST
    it not spanning over two monitors. As a result I still need to use the mouse to do basic fucntions and stylus to draw purdy pictures. I haven't drawn anything in ages, but now I can't stop. This shit is like crack.

ypu're a chair
    Why Not Spread it? by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #40 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 03:57:29 AM EST
    I use the top 75% of my tablet to map proportionally across both screens, since the bottom of the tablet is really just a glorified wrist-support anyway.

Having to drop my stylus in order to access the second monitor would make me want to die -- that's where I keep all of my palettes and controls.

To be honest by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #43 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:29:15 AM EST
    I'm not sure how. I just plugged it in and it worked. anything other than that will call for some good ol' fashioned research.

ypu're a chair
    Mac/Win Control Panel... by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #44 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 06:59:03 AM EST
    I have to assume by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #45 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 07:28:15 AM EST
    That by Mac/Win, you mean Macintosh/Windows*. Which I spit on in frustration: Linux, yo.

I managed to find the Linux Wacom Project, but I'm still reading the documentation and haven't found anything about mapping.

* If this is not what you mean, my sincerest apologies for the spit. I've been smoking, so it might take a little while for the smell to come off. Enlightenment appreciated.

Dirty hippy by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #46 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 09:06:03 AM EST
    Mac is BSD!

Good Luck. [nt] by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #47 Mon Apr 24, 2006 at 09:11:40 AM EST
    Security through irritation: by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #33 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:57:29 PM EST
    My computer, including the initial login screen, is set to a modified dvorak layout, and I have a qwerty keyboard. Needless to say, nobody but me logs into it.

My response is summed up by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #39 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 11:03:27 PM EST
    By the previous/next diary titles.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
    I like the picture by erso (2.00 / 0) #49 Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 11:06:48 AM EST
    It's spot on. Bummer about the speakers being in the middle. I propose the use of duct tape to secure the speakers to the outer edges of the screen.

A chair with a view | 49 comments (49 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback