Print Story Did I get the job?
Working life
By calla (Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 08:55:35 AM EST) friggin' intense, WORK, fun loving cowwqas. (all tags)
I don’t know.

Poll: Did I?

Today was my second interview at the fruit box company. Even though I aced the first interview, I was nervous. Were they going to grill me on my problem solving skills? Was there going to be another test (like the two hour test at the design firm interview on Tuesday)?

I’m really excited about this job. Great benefits, close to home, and I could do the work in my sleep. The people that work there seem really laid back – unlike most designers. I prefer a low-stress diet to the high-stress emotional turmoil found around most designers.

I arrived 5 mins. late. The traffic was much worse than the last time. I’m glad I gave myself 10 mins. more time than I thought I needed.

I was immediately rushed into the manager’s office. She tells me about the benefits, vacation, medical etc. She says she has to get a hold of the CEO to get details. She has to talk to him today, because next week he’s on vacation.

After the short meeting with the manager, the art director introduces me to everyone that works at that office. He shows me where my desk will be.

As I leave he says he’ll be in touch soon.

That wasn’t really a second interview – was it?

Are they going to make an offer?

< A brief one | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Did I get the job? | 39 comments (39 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
'5 minutes late' by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:03:25 AM EST
I predict good things for this diary entry.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
You can make up for being late to an interview by georgeha (4.00 / 5) #3 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:05:44 AM EST
by showing off your rack.

Although this is true, by calla (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:13:40 AM EST
my outfit today offered no free cleavage show.

I think this was a good move, since today's interview was with the manager, a woman.

Just out of curiosity by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #31 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 02:06:31 PM EST
Are heels mentioned in  specific interview tips?

I recently saw my manager interviewing a woman candidate.  I think her heels helped make her taller than him.  It couldn't have helped.

Wumpus

Heels are hell. by calla (4.00 / 1) #38 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:08:48 PM EST
I don't wear them much, but I'm 5'9".

Also, heels just don't have that punk rock feel. I'll wear my Fluevogs or some nice Docs.

shush. by calla (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:08:51 AM EST
It's the little trolly touches that make a great diary.

You got the job by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:05:08 AM EST
but they're going to mercilessly lowball you.

In the first interview, by calla (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:17:50 AM EST
they did the opposite. I told the art director what I'd made before and he said he could do better.

They know I've been interviewing. I mentioned that again today.

I hope they don't lowball me. How 'bout a highball?

A Highball? Don't mind if I do. by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:29:40 AM EST
It's after noon and you're buying so bring 'em on!

Dude by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 4) #5 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:12:04 AM EST
They don't give you the tour unless you're pretty much in.

I'm a bit confused as to what an art person would do at a company that makes fruit boxen though. Are you sure they're not a front for the mob?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Fruit box art design. by calla (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:15:17 AM EST
I'll get to make the pretty pictures on the fruit boxes.

Um. by Driusan (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:20:07 AM EST
Fruit comes in little bins, and are then placed in little plastic bags by the shopper, not boxes. Least in these parts..

Vive le Montréal libre.
The fruit is packed in big cardboard boxes by calla (4.00 / 2) #11 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:27:45 AM EST
at the orchard, farm, whatever.

It's shipped via truck, rail, plane (depending on shelf life) to your local grocer.

Your grocer puts them in little bins for you to put in your little plastic bag.

Most folks won't see the pretty boxes I'll be making.

Heh by yicky yacky (4.00 / 4) #18 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 10:26:01 AM EST

Most folks won't see the pretty boxes I'll be making.

Welcome to codeville. You'll fit right in.

All the best, anyway.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
It's a glamorous life. by calla (4.00 / 3) #20 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 10:59:35 AM EST
bright lights, big titties.

Oops. I meant it's NOT a glamorous life.

Take it from me, I've done the glamorous life crap - it sucks.

rock paper cardboard by sobeinom (4.00 / 1) #35 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 08:36:19 PM EST
Little bins?  They come in huge cardboard boxes like the person aboved said.  They are often taken out of the cardboard boxes put on display in the fruit/veg section on fancy matted stands.

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • That's a full-time job? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #10 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:20:07 AM EST
    How many pictures do they need and how often would you change them???

Seems a right bit odd to me. Then again I work for a software company that has tonnes of stuff that needs done and yet I somehow manage to do nothing for 8 hours a day without anyone noticing it. So by my standards you may well indeed be pretty busy there.

Warmest regards,
    --Your best pal Bob

Every crop, every brand by calla (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:34:11 AM EST
    every season, and every variety needs a new design.

It's a lot of box designs. It's a growing business. I'm being hired to pick up the overflow.

But they don't just do fruit boxes - it's just that the bulk of the boxes made are for fruit.

Well.. good luck by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #14 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:39:03 AM EST
    I hope you get it.

I trust this means ol ti will be quitting his job to stay home to take care of the kids?

Good ol Mr. Mom ti! I can just picture him how, running the vacuum and making home-made jam for the kids.

Warmest regards,
    --Your best pal Bob

He spent years running 'round with by calla (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:18:33 AM EST
    that apron and rolling pin. He could learn how to really use them.

Not so by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:54:36 AM EST
    Long, long ago, when I was a young programmer with little experience and hair down to my ass, I got called into an interview at what turned out to be a defense contractor. Wearing a suit, I arrived (on time, of course) and was greeted politely. I was shown to the office of an HR drown, who gave an exhaustive review of the various benefits of working for the company. After a half-hour of this, I was given a tour of the facility, the offices, the server room, etc. This tour ended at the front door, where I was told "thank you for coming" and "we'll be in touch". Even though I'd been there for an hour, I'd been asked no questions at all about my education, my experience, or my skills.

I never heard from them again.
    [ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Maybe if it had been your second interview. by calla (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:20:19 AM EST
    Not asking any questions at the first interview does seem suspicious.

Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #27 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:30:46 AM EST
    Sounds to me like you got it.
    [ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
    In My Small But Relevant Experience... by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 3) #15 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:42:21 AM EST
    ...when people act like the gig is yours without explicitly saying the gig is yours, they're setting you up to present you with some shitty terms.

Getting people to accept a lower salary (or whatever) is much easier if they feel it's already a done deal, even informally.

As the Neimoidians say, "Juse caution."

As I told the 'rat by calla (4.00 / 3) #21 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:16:19 AM EST
    the art director said he could beat my previous salary.

It's possible that the manager is interested in keeping my wage low - but she's a grandmother! If she starts getting lippy with me - I'll just beat her senseless I'll play the poor mother of two card. Grandmas are suckers for that schtick.

W00T!!! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 4) #17 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 10:25:14 AM EST
    HOUSEHUSBANDRY HERE I COME

We need a soap opera topic! by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #19 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 10:32:16 AM EST

Only because I love her. by calla (4.00 / 2) #25 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:24:25 AM EST
    I say we call the soap opera topic "webby".

I'll teach you how by calla (4.00 / 2) #24 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:22:02 AM EST
    to use a wok and a rolling pin!

How does that work? by Canthros (4.00 / 2) #29 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:37:15 AM EST
    Breeding houses, I mean? Is there a big market for pure-bred split-levels, say?

I'm not here, man.

biotech by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #30 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 02:05:39 PM EST
    you betta have that webcam on all damn day.

Blizzard of Death '06
    I'm waiting to hear back on one, too. by Canthros (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:27:11 AM EST
    Actually, I'm waiting to see if this will make its way through the potential employer's HR department before unforeseen events sabotage it (again!), but the original interview went well, my references love me (which mystifies me, but I'm not complaining), and the company in question has, after being unable to hire me into the job I interviewed for, come up with another position they'd like to put me into ...

Heh. I'll have to brag a little if this all works out. I may have totally lucked my way back into gainful employment at the sort of thing I actually want to do, in a platform/dev environment I want to work in. And may have attained some measure of job security in the process. By luck.

I'm not here, man.

Also, by Canthros (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 11:34:18 AM EST
    sounds like they're going to make an offer. Second interviews are good, and that sounds more like a way of reminding you that they're interested while their paperwork finds its way through all the usual bureaucracy.

I'd offer congratulations, but I'm feeling paranoid, and would rather not jinx things. Still, sounds like good news!

I'm not here, man.

I'm not sure where to reply. by calla (4.00 / 1) #33 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 06:00:40 PM EST
    This'll do.

I hope the backwards lucky job comes through. Not just because it would be a fun story.

Bureaucracy is killing me. ARgh.

Bureaucracy kills *everything* by Canthros (4.00 / 2) #34 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 06:37:30 PM EST
    Everything, even itself (eventually). Except possibly cockroaches. I think they're immune.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm not sure there's much to the story (it's not exactly an epic tale of might and technical prowess), but it amuses the hell out of me.

In the meantime, it's really not worth getting too worried about. I would go ahead and send out resumés/interview/etc until they deliver a firm offer (but I'm paranoid), but it's a good sign and you may as well take it as the encouragement it's meant to be.

I'm not here, man.

Sounds like a shoe-in by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #32 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 02:12:08 PM EST
    However, isn't working a day job going to make fighting crime at nights a little impractical?  If it's one or the other, I'd stick with the vigilante gig, unless they let you wear your boots and cape to the fruit box job.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
    F°°k! by calla (4.00 / 2) #37 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 09:06:26 PM EST
    I forgot about the crime fighting gig.

Do you think Farmgirl might want to fill in until I can get a permanent replacement?

gl by sobeinom (4.00 / 1) #36 Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 08:39:49 PM EST
    All the best, and I'd say you got the job.  The bose going on vacation, would that be a good or bad thing.  Would he rush the hiring process or delay it?

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • I'd have hoped it would have rushed them. by calla (2.00 / 0) #39 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 05:32:37 PM EST
    But it looks like they've slowed down. Which sucks. I need the money now.

Did I get the job? | 39 comments (39 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback