Print Story A Journey into Randomness
Just various things, mostly related to trips and the like.

Poll: How many times have you done this thing that you do?

"What time do you need me here tomorrow?" I asked the guy who I am covering all next week.

"What's better for you? 8-5 or 9-6?"

"Uh.. well 8-5 because I don't really sleep much and I'm already two hours ahead in my mind."

"Oh.. well I was going to say 9-6 cause it's better for me traffic-wise."

Then why did you give me an option fucker? WHY?! Also, it's not like I can't live without you for a mere hour and verse vica. Needless to say I woke up at fucking 5 am and that is no way to wake up when in a hotel. The walls sort of blur and I verge on going all... fear and loathing style; good thing I don't know a "hookup" here. Whew.. NARROWLY AVOIDED THAT ONE YOU FUCKS.

So.. being up at 5 sodding 30, I determined the best thing to do was to just get on Highway 80 west and see where it leads. It apparently leads to Davis where wireless internet is fucking everywhere... seriously. I scanned for networks and I've never seen a list this big. It must be nice living places where you know the Internet is always there; waiting to cuddle you.

Now if only I had a laptop all the time on top of that. It is basically a bad idea however, as I would post things like

"8:01 AM I ate a muffin."
"8:02 AM I am filled with a vauge sense of dread."
"8:10 AM My stomach is a little upset, what the hell was in that muffin?!"
"8:15 AM I have been playing with paperclips for the last 5 minutes."

And so on.

Anyway I'm outside of some coffee shop having just finished a banana and berry muffin and having a non-fat mocha no whip. I like to do these things after a night of debauchery because it's fun to play yuppie for a bit. Lookit me, I am a big boy now with my power breakfast typing on my laptop on the sidewalk. The cool morning air is kind of nice though and the fact that things are a lot less smoggy here is also a grand thing.

Sacramento sits between the coastal mountains and the Sierras; both of which you can see at any time. It leads me to feel as though I'm in a bowl... like some sort of Cap'n Crunch floating (and that's not necessarily untrue as with all the rain they've had here since December there's a lot of flooded areas around the river) in the grand cereal bowl of life; but I will not cut the roof of your mouth.. unless you ask me. (Also, I have a tendancy to get soggy.. IF YUO KNOW WHAT I MEAN!)

It is odd seeing mountains again. The other day I woke up and looked toward the Sierras, and as I did so I thought "Wow.. those are oddly shaped clouds" Turns out it was the snow-peaks and it was just a bit too early hazy morning style for me to see the rocky part under the peaks.

I keep having to remind myself to be in the moment. I am practicing Taoism for the next week and a half. Saying things like "Now I am sitting in my hotel and it is now. It is always now. It was never then and it never will be soon, it is now."

I say these things out loud; I suspect people are beginning to think I am vaguely insane; they are right of course (half right). And no, I'm not vaguely... just vague.

Dammit, started to drive off that cliff there, back to the Tao.

"I am now outside of a coffee house in Davis; all time is now." I said that out loud and this butchy looking woman gave me a cocked eyebrow stare. Hi butchy looking woman! I hope you are having a wonderful day today.

I have no idea what is going on with my hair today. It is currently dyed fire engine red with little flecks of black in it (it looks like my head is on fire when I spike it), but for some reason today I look as though I am a member of the lollipop guild. Oh well.. I am not out to impress anyone now. I am now finishing my mocha. It has been 6 minutes since I started this diary.

I just swatted a mosquito, at least that's what it looks like; I do not know the insects out here; this is not a thing that I know.

Much to the chagrin of various people on IRC, I found the RedRum burger here.. it is not open however and I am not certain that is a way to start the day anyway.

California is always weird to me. Not in that "Oh man California is So weird way; just in an unnervingly off kilter way. It's like visiting Canada... everything is... sort of the same.. sort of.

I mean I know I'm in the US, but... what the hell.

3 things I was happy to see when I got into town:

IKEA (even though I hate that fucking place)
FRY'S (I will be staying vigorously away from this place)
Murphy's Take N Bake Pizza (If my hotel had a kitchen I would totally have picked one of these up, it's like 3 blocks from where I'm staying.)

Attention to the girl who just walked out of the store: Dear, you have a nice bottom; of this I am sure you are aware, however, you do not need to wear white sweatpants with black underwear to call attention to it.. it just.. it looks gaudy is all I am saying. Also, do something about your hair, it's all... jumbled.

So, anyway, back to better things. Tomorrow I am in Concord CA for the morning, then I will head to SF and check into a hotel I could not afford if the company wasn't paying for it.

Hrm.. work is about 20 minutes away from here and it's only 7:10. Dammit.. what am I going to do for an hour an 50 minutes? I thought this diary would take a lot longer.

Hrm.. time to burn a cd. (Thank you little laptop. Thank you.)

Love,
Q

P.S. Diary fight between me and Sin Tax coming next week: be there or be.. oh who am I kidding.. you will be there you have Nothing else to do!

This is me

< Stuff what has happened since whenever | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Journey into Randomness | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
leave the teaser by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 05:23:33 AM EST
I'll be on PTO all next week. Ah well.

CA is a place unto itself. However, I'm not sure you can really pull off the yuppie thing with the dyed-red hair. And keep a nappie around for your soggy drooling problem..

I am sure you will catch up by MisterQueue (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 05:26:31 AM EST
captain stalks-a-lot.

Sure, tell yourself it is drool if that makes you feel better.

------------
"I always percieved the Q to be more about laughing at sadness, not laughing per se." -infinitera

P.P.S. by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 05:24:46 AM EST
I was right, he is a professor as he just pulled out a stack of papers to grade. I believe it is some sort of math as he's not 5 feet away and I can see the paper pretty clearly.

Either that or they are drawing matrices in English now... I mean I have been out of school for a while now.

Question. by superdiva (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 05:45:11 AM EST
What are these specialized job skills that you possess that your company has to send you to another state to do someone else's job?

I do not expect a cogent answer to this question.  (Also, your answer cannot use the words "the ladies".)

_________________________________________________

For we are many....

I can't answer for Mister Queue by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:16:31 AM EST
at least not with this account, maybe with my MisterQueue account, but I tend to travel 3-5 times a year.

Some of the time it's to soothe the customer (ie. we take your problem so serious we're sending a wiard from the software team to help).

Other times it's because I'm one of the top 5 people in the world that knows our product well (the sun controller and the big beige thingie that melts plastic onto paper at high speeds), and has high level skills in Solaris, PostScript, networking, PDF and color printing.

ah.... by superdiva (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:22:02 AM EST

The wizard part is probably right in regards to the Queue.  The soothing part....

_________________________________________________

For we are many....

Not the same situation. by MisterQueue (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:34:45 AM EST
The guy I am covering for is a team of 1. By California law you cannot force an employee to lose their vacation (it must accrue). As such, he hasn't been on vacation in like 2 years.

I am here to give him reprieve from this and the reason I was chosen is because this is an important site (essentially in order to do our business in CA we have to have an office in the Capitol, it is another law.) and my information spongitude mixed with my ability to deal with critical meltdowns like I am in the bahamas and everything is froody makes me ideal for just such of this situation.

I am not a software guy as my brain isn't wired properly (heh) for it. I'm too... disjointed.

Heh.. by MisterQueue (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:31:47 AM EST
as I believe I have mentioned before my entire skillset is based upon being an information sponge mixed with this innate mixture of luck and absolute teetering on the brink of complete and total meltdown (All the time).

This is not something that one learns, it just happens.

I suspect, that with enough drink and time (one increases with the other), I will lose the former skillset and be essentially jobless; this is not the worst thing that can happen.

Trust me, I am as surprised as you.

Fascinating by Improbus (4.00 / 1) #29 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 02:04:51 PM EST
You sort of described my skill set as well.  As to losing your skill set, well, don't worry if you lose your skills they will make you into manager.  It may be a fate worse than death but it will pay the bills.  By the way, HAPPY 420 DAY! *cough* *cough* *cough*

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
You know... by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 02:15:20 PM EST
I've been management before and I absolutely hated every minute of it. It made me an complete and utter asshole to everyone because I was so angry all the time.

No thank you to that.

Also, if you take that skillset and add a mild, managable level of insanity you pretty much know me inside and out.

I doubt I will kill these abilities with the 420 though; that shit makes me feel insipidly moronic which I cannot tolerate. (However, this hasn't stopped me at several points in the past, just...not all the time.. thank you liquor and other various things for fueling my debauchery.)

tech jobs by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #14 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:44:04 AM EST
In most tech jobs, it takes months to train someone to be fully productive. You can't just hire someone for a day. And yet, there's lots of tech jobs where they need someone for a few days at a far-flung location.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
8:20: That was not a muffin. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 05:56:37 AM EST

Interesting potential development in Friday plans; if you've got a knife, she's got a neck! Please note that I am not referencing Quinine Tarantula, but rather the MNS Fanclub President, Violet Blue.

And now, I must go fuck a cow. In the butt. And then eat it.

UCB stated by MisterQueue (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:35:40 AM EST
he might meet up with us on Friday.. I am down for whatever as long as it doesn't involve too high of legal fees to get out of later.

------------

I'm planning on it by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #16 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:46:04 AM EST
Beware that being a married fuck, a "late night" for me is 9 pm.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
are women allowed? by R343L (4.00 / 2) #24 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 09:54:20 AM EST
I have liked around here for two years and have yet to meet any husites in SF-area. And how can one pass up MNS, the Q and ucblockhead?

Rachael

By all means by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 10:01:58 AM EST
I do not make judgement calls based upon genitalia*... so I would imagine this is open to all.

* Except where we are talking about considering a good "bedding down"... just sayin' is all.

yes, yes, yes by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 05:58:20 AM EST
But do you welcome me to munchkin land?

----
i wish they'd make hitler toilet paper
-mns

I welcome you to my pants fuck3r! by MisterQueue (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:36:33 AM EST

Those aren't pants by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #21 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:56:44 AM EST
They're more like Daisy Dukes, but made out of velour.

----
i wish they'd make hitler toilet paper
-mns

Oh-So-Stylish by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #28 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 01:30:48 PM EST

--top hat--
Concord by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:41:41 AM EST
That's oh-so-close to my stomping grounds, though I'll be in SF tomorrow.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I am going to Concord at like 8am or so by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:45:41 AM EST
I suspect I'll only be working until 1 and then heading directly to the hotel in SF (the most annoying thing is that I will have to pack all my stuff tonight and checkout of my SAC hotel at 6am tomorrow.)

If my suspicions turn out to be correct I will probably be in SF by like 2, settled into the room and comfy by 2:30. Then my entire weekends plans are to absolutely have no plans and take anything as it comes.

It's part of the Tao thing I'm doing I guess... that is if I took it seriously.

Man I smell like sunblock today.. I do not know why. I should probably stop bathing in breastmilk; but it's SOOOOO GOOOD

Cool by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:51:19 AM EST
I hope to be able to bail work early, though we're interviewing someone in the afternoon (this "Matt" loser from North Carolina...I doubt we'll hire him) so I'm not sure exactly.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Heh.. by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:55:55 AM EST
so THAT is what is going on eh? Machinations all around me!

------------

No, not really by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 07:21:21 AM EST
I mean, we are interviewing someone, but not him.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
some Tarheel bumpkin? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 07:03:59 AM EST
He'll probably get lost in the big city. Be sure to provide a spittoon for this Copenhagen, too.

how long the diary takes by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:50:37 AM EST
You are not spending enough time in the now. The writing of the diary is all time.

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."
This is true by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 06:56:22 AM EST
point. counterpoint.

That's counterproductive though, so I will just say this is true.

------------

lightpantsdarkpanties by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 12:37:49 PM EST
i've done it accidentally...most recently was when i decided to wear my pink scrubs to work. they weren't see thru when i left home, but during the course of the day i sat on a damp jacket (rainy day) and voila, they revealed the pretty blue panties underneath.
Send me to Austria!
I am just sayin' is all by MisterQueue (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 01:00:05 PM EST

A Journey into Randomness | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback