Print Story Life is change
By ucblockhead (Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:29:36 AM EST) Work, home, Symphony OS (all tags)
Stuff and other stuff.

Work

Work is change at the moment. My boss has transferred to a new group and gave us a chance to go with. An easy decision as without him, we basically had no one who even had a clue what we did. So officially as of today, we're transferring to. No pay raises or moves (well, I'll be moving about fifteen feet.)

The bigger change is growth. Long-time readers will remember whining about dead offices and attrition. Now, in the last couple weeks, we've gained three and will potentially be gaining a couple more. (So far all transfers from other failing divisions.)

This, and other things I can't talk about, gives me a bit of hope for the future. I figure it'll be a good six months before it's dashed.

I'm having troubles getting back into the swing of actually doing stuff at work, though.

Home

I still don't have one. We've been in the hotel since last Wednesday. We were originally going to check out Thursday, but we extended it to Saturday. While we can walk on the floors Thursday, we can't put furniture on them until Saturday. We decided that trying to deal with a three-year-old in three furniture packed rooms would be even more of a pain than dealing with a three-year-old in a two room hotel.

The hotel has been...a pain. The free breakfasts are no longer a novelty and I am fucking sick and tired with scrambled egg product + salsa for breakfast. Having to eat out every night is also beginning to grate. If I have to go to that damn salad buffet place one more night I will scream.

At least the rains have ended so my wife can run the kid in the park during the day.

The floors look good, though. No more water-stains and discoloration. We're looking forward to that.

Tech

Used the VM software I'm playing with to play with Symphony OS. Ugh. It always amazes me how people creating "easy-to-use" software can so badly fail to make something that's actually easy-to-use. Hint: "Easy-to-Use" != "Hide the complicated stuff where you can't get at it".

Stock Ubuntu is certainly easier to install, and probably easier to use.

< When Sherriffs Cry | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Life is change | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I haven't kept up with you enough by theboz (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 10:22:44 AM EST
I didn't know you were stuck in a hotel. One suggestion, that probably won't do you any good now, would make would be to pick a place that serves supper as well. Residence Inn serves a small supper during the week, and often snacks like cookies too. Plus they usually have seperate bedrooms, which I don't know if your place has. It's ugly and annoying, but a little more home-like. Oh, and the full kitchens are nice too so you don't have to eat out all the time.
- - - - -
We have a kitchen by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 10:50:08 AM EST
But the table only seats two, so we end up going out all the time.

They serve "happy hour", but the food is crappy, and often meat based. (We're vegetarians.)

We do have a separate bedroom.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

That sucks by theboz (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:12:45 AM EST
Well, I hope you can get into your house sooner rather than later.
- - - - -
Saturday by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:15:28 AM EST
All is on schedule. Last coat is going on today and then it's just waiting for it to dry sufficiently.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I used to love Fresh Choice by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:09:11 AM EST

Then again, I only ate there once every 3 or 4 months, and mainly it was enjoyable because it was always tagged on to some multi-point mall tour made while excruciatingly high. Oh, and we also tagged on the obligatory Colma City of the Dead Cemetary Lane Cruise, as well, which is always nice on a summer's day. Provided the wind is blowing westward. Otherwise, the stench of the Colma Non-Human Refuse Reserve was overpowering.

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:13:43 AM EST
The one near us is "Sweet Tomatoes", which is essentially the same thing. It's not bad, but try going three days in one week.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The only thing I could eat three days in a week by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:22:45 AM EST

would be Indian food. Therefore, I suggest making a trek to the nearest Indian food place, POST HASTE!

Thai food. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 03:57:45 AM EST
I could eat Thai food seven, eight days a week.  Goddamn.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
More house pictures, please by debacle (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:25:34 AM EST
At least you have a house to go back to. We're still shopping.

easy to use by theantix (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 08:25:01 PM EST
"Easy-to-Use" != "Hide the complicated stuff where you can't get at it".

If you hide the complicated stuff, it will only be easy to use if one doesn't have to do the complicated stuff.  That is to say, the equation is very simple: being able to do something a complicated way is better than being unable to do things at all.  That may sound like a "duh" comment, but it seems to escape some software developers especially the new cool crowd to whom simplicity is everything.

Too often functionality is stripped away because the implementation is too complex, but the functionality was not replaced by a simpler UI instead by just removing that functionality altogether.  Now, in some cases I agree that a single mandatory setting will result in well-tested code that will be easier to optimize for performance and be stable, but sometimes you just plain want to do complicated things so you can get them done.

Sometimes Gnome, Aqua, etc get the balance alright, but sometimes they screw it up in a royally annoying way.  Hopefully SymphanyOS can get things right otherwise they will just be relegated to the dust heap of discarded Desktop Environments that never were.

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.

It doesn't look good by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 04:16:10 AM EST
To give you an example, to install, you boot the disk, which acts as a live CD. Then you have to go find the "install" action, which is buried in a menu.

The refusal to use tooltips is just...stupid.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

SymphanyOS screenshots by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 10:55:35 PM EST
Fugly fonts. Still. Jesus, you'd think the gnunux lot would have pulled that little thorn out their sides by now.

--- Thad ---