Print Story Shades of Grey
By spacejack (Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 07:51:28 AM EST) (all tags)
Drawing plans, a few seasons of The Shield mini-reviewed, semantics and pedantics.

I've been doing some drawing lately. Pretty bad stuff for the most part so I'm not posting anything today, but once in a while it feels like I'm getting the hang of it again. I should be going to some life drawing sessions, but for the sake of convenience and the comforts of home, I've been cheesing out and using Google image searches or DeviantArt stock photos as reference.

It must sound naive, but man, it's amazing how dirty you can feel just doing searches for things like, oh, say, "people" or "pose" on the internet these days. Or just browsing the multitudes of self-taken stock photos on DA. It's like I'm getting older but the people on the internet stay the same age.

I rented the first few seasons of The Shield. Besides 24, none of the currently running shows I get on broadcast TV have held my interest enough to watch, so despite the mixed reviews & comments I've read, I decided to give it a shot.

It's a nasty, hard-hearted, vulgar show, but overall pretty awesome. Obviously inspired by the Rampart scandal, with bad cops running rampant through LA, taking down drug dealers and shaping the gangs to suit their own purposes. Probably the best show I've seen since watching Oz.

It's yet another show that's shot mostly handheld. Generally using the sets and locations as a stage, allowing actors to do their thing while a couple of cameramen dance around the scene capturing images in an improvisational style. Some of my film friends complain about being tired of the handheld trend, but something about the way its done on this show makes it hard to imagine it being better with fixed/dolly/crane/steadycams.

Also has some awesome bust/raid/takedown scenes. Every episode has a few and they really get your heart going. I think they switch to some sort of "strobe camera" effect (I don't know the proper term for it) during these scenes and it works really well.

Anyway, with shows like these, who needs movies? I can't even remember the last movie I saw that left a lasting impression.

I read and enjoyed the Cheeseburger's latest. Damn, I was going to post a noir-ish thing myself soon. If I manage to finish it. Which should be tonight. Well, most of it anyway. The finishing touches might take another day.

But anyway, mine's less of a Final Destination type thing and more like a "I can't write so I'll make it bad on purpose" kind of thing. Plus pictures.

There's an ad on the side of a trash bin I walk by frequently. The headline says LITERACY IS A RIGHT. For some reason this bothers me more than it probably should - it's as if literacy is something that is administered by the state and injected directly into the brain. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Anyway. Runchtime.
< Quote from a Respected Smart Ass | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Shades of Grey | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
coming over for wednesday party? by 256 (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 07:56:37 AM EST
aka family night?

also... sigged.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Aww, tonight? by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 08:34:20 AM EST
I think I'll decline this time. Partly cause I'm working on this thing that I'd like to finish, and partly cause I've been feeling a bit sick-ish. So maybe on the weekend or next wednesday.

Damn you. by Driusan (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:20:17 AM EST
You better at least make it to the 606 Party, 'cause after that I'm fleeing the city for the summer.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Definitely coming to that by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:35:27 AM EST
I RSVP'd and everything.

LS And I Can't Come Tonight. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 10:51:40 AM EST
But we hope to see you at the 606fest.

Tonight I have to go home and be confronted by Old Oak, who has become very upset after I refused his demand to sign over 50% ownership of my house to him.

Am I looking forward to going home today?

...Um.

That sounds pleasant by debacle (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:30:17 AM EST
You have ten dollars in your wallet.

Do you pick up:

a) liquor
b) flowers
c) a really big knife

Always choose liquor . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 04:51:05 PM EST
. . . you can use it to celebrate if things go well, or use it as a weapon after drinking the bottle's contents . . .

. . . AFTER drinking the bottle's contents . . .

Do you remember how excited you were to read by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 07:57:31 AM EST
your first book, the Cat in the Hat, Curious George or whatever your Canadians sorts read (Peirre scores a goal!).

They obviously meant Literacy is a rite. It would behoove you to let them know they used to them wrong word.

It was on a trash can by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 08:30:22 AM EST
Maybe it was supposed to say "littering is a right"..? No, that doesn't seem right either.

Don't be a litterbug by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:24:21 AM EST
Web Reference by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 08:21:17 AM EST
I've also been hitting the web for body references a lot lately, especially for johnny's book (though I also used some friends of mine as models, for the more major characters).

I can't search for reference with my daughter on my lap, because just about any keyword has some NSFW content attached ot it, no matter how innocuous the search may at first seem.

I am too lazy to go to life drawing classes anymore. And too stingy. I'd prefer to just have naked people hanging around me all the time, for my -- study.

definitely study by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:03:39 AM EST
remember what happend last time you posted that "art"...

The Internet has ruined boobs for me by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:18:28 AM EST
Remember when gazing upon a naked boob was a special occasion? Now with the "you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a naked boob" Internet we've all been turned into Europeans.

I lament the loss of my innocence.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Hey man by debacle (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 11:31:34 AM EST
Go out and walk around a University dorm. You'll feel like a little kid again.

LIFE DRAWING CLASSES?!?! by misslake (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Apr 20, 2006 at 02:57:00 PM EST
why aren't you at the shawshack right now? i'm all home from work and used up my last bit of physical energy taking off my smelly dirty work clothes and now i am all naked-like in the kitchen (again, no energy to get dressed, no energy to walk up the stairs) i've got a fabulous dirt-tan and slight sunburn on the back of my neck. the muscles are just starting to show through the skin on my back and arms, yet i've still got all my winter fat over my belly. it's art, baby.

what ever happened to the one you were going to make of me, naked in front of the fridge eating cheese straight from the package and drinking milk out of a measuring cup with MissTrish sitting at the table amidst the mountain of dirty dishes?

have you forgotten the shawshack's exhibitionist tendencies? plenty of bodies here for you to draw, paint, photograph or render into cyber mindfuck.
i love being made into visual art, and i have decent posture and can sit very still for minutes at a time.
for serious.