Print Story Oh Canada!
Sport
By lb008d (Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 03:52:11 PM EST) skiing, snowboarding, powder, Canada, Nelson, British Columbia, snow loving cowwqas. (all tags)
Took a day's vacation and drove north to go skiing at Whitewater today because Greener said so. How can you go wrong with 2 feet of new snow over the past few days?

The view from where I parked:

Yes, those are tracks from the top of that peak. Made by Crazy People (i.e. not me):

More tracks made by more crazy people in the chute:

The view from where I did most of my riding:

More general beauty:

On the way out of the parking lot gave a nice chap named Andreas a ride back into Nelson. You Canuckistanis are such nice people, that's why I love visiting Nelson so much. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Greener because of a missed PM via hulver.com. Next season!

< Pants | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Oh Canada! | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
you chose a pretty good day scenery wise by Greener (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 04:41:29 PM EST
I had to work and didn't make it up until 1:45. Saturday and Sunday was cloudy and snowing all day. And I'd say almost a meter of fresh snow since Wednesday. One of the best weekends of the year for sure. I hope you managed to find the odd stash today as it was pretty skied out by the time I got there. But then again I was pretty spoiled this year.

Here's a video of someone dropping the cliff on the left side of your third pic last season just to give a sense of scale. 250 feet from takeoff to landing.

Holy Jesus by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:05:26 PM EST
So that's the kind of crazy person I'm talking about then? How in the world do people even get to the tops of those peaks to ski down them? Hike the ridge? Crazy.

I did find quite a bit of untouched snow hiking from the top of the summit chair over to the boundary at the edge of Glory Basin.

you can get up there from either lift by Greener (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:20:36 PM EST
the slope is fairly gentle on the back of the ridge and with skins it only takes a couple hours.

I was hoping you'd make it over to glory basin. The snow held up there really good. The entire mountain was like that yesterday.

Speaking of hiking... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:36:09 PM EST
I was drooling over this area (hike in red from top of silver king, run in blue, pardon the lift cables):

You know, I may just have to get skiing equipment for backcountry stuff, or just for variety. I will say I do enjoy snowboarding in powder a lot though.

Goat Slide by Greener (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 06:00:00 PM EST
You can boot pack it from the top of silverking chair but it's quicker on skins. You zigzag up a fireguard then go along the ridge out to the top (blue line).

One of the smoothest runs I've ever done was continuing the traverse from the top of silverking all the way across. You cut through the trees and come out about 2 thirds of the way down (purple). I did it 4 times Saturday and Sunday.

I am by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:48:29 PM EST
jealous.

Where is the photo of you on your board, though?

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Come up next year. by Greener (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 06:13:59 PM EST
You too can look as awesome as this.

Good point... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 06:29:29 PM EST
I went by myself, I suppose I could have asked someone to take my pic but I don't know if even Canadians are that accomodating :-)

How about a Husi ski meetup next season if the snow's as good as this year? I would be all over that - there are a couple really great ski areas within 4 hours of Spokane - Whitewater, Schweitzer - farther away is Big Mountain in Montana. All would be good options. Also Greener would know about cat skiing in B.C. as well.

I'm definitely up for that. by Greener (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 06:51:28 PM EST
how many skiers/boarders do we have on this site anyways?

If you need more reason to fly out here... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 06:34:01 PM EST
check this out, especially this video. I was up on that mountain (Schweitzer) March 10 - the best conditions I've ever been in.

awesome pics!!!!! by dakini (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 06:42:12 PM EST

I've discovered the problem with.. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 04:40:30 AM EST
my crappy scenic photos.

I have crappy scenery.

Dang. Nice photos.

You're no good to me dead. Even half-alive would be socially awkward. - Hugh MacLeod

Oh Canada! | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback