Print Story In Memoriam
By toxicfur (Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:24:25 AM EST) Teh Dawg (all tags)
Sadie, aka Teh Dawg
May 1, 1997-April 17, 2006

As ana wrote, this weekend Teh Dawg stopped eating and became very lethargic. This morning, we took her to a vet who has been incredibly wonderful to her throughout the past year, and she determined that Teh Dawg had internal bleeding. There was, said the vet, the possibility that she could be saved, but it was clear that the lymphoma was winning. We made the decision to say goodbye. The house is very quiet this afternoon.

Before we took her to the vet - when she could barely summon the will to stand up - she heard something outside, and managed to go to the window to bark, perched on the back of the couch. She took care of us as long as she could.

On March 15, 2000, I wrote in my paper journal about my new dog, Sadie, a nearly 3-year-old Australian shepherd, placed with me thorugh a rescue organization.

Sadie is here. She's a great dog, though she is overweight and scared of her new surroundings. I don't want to give Sadie a bad home. I want all of us [me, cats, Teh Dawg] to be happy and healthy. I just feel overhwlmed right now. I'm ready to go to sleep; Sadie is ready to play. I also don't want her to bark, and when she's bored she barks. [...]
3/16/00. Didn't finish writing last night because I ended up with Sadie on my lap. She weighs probably 60 lbs. Not fun on my lap. She slept until 5:30 am, when she asked to go out. Then she cried for a while; I don't know what about. I'm uncomfortable with the level of intimacy she wants and deserves. I care about this dog, but she's big and hot and she pants a lot. I want her to have a good life. I hope I can give her that life.

I think she did have a good life with me, these last 6 years. We figured each other out, annoyed the hell out of each other, and loved each other. When she met ana, Sadie immediately fell in love. Living here with ana was almost as good for Sadie as it has been for me.

It's hard to believe she's gone. We're going to miss her.

< My car! It is legal again! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
In Memoriam | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm sorry by Gedvondur (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:40:54 AM EST
I'm sorry for your loss.  My thoughts are with you and ana.

Gedvondur
"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito

It sucks to lose a pet by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #2 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:43:17 AM EST
but you had those six great years.

I'm sorry by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 4) #3 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:49:28 AM EST

You likely did the right thing in making your decision. And most importantly, y'all gave her lovin' for years. That's so much more than a lot of puppies get. You'll look back in years to come, and smile when you think of what a sweet little furry lady she was.

:( by Kellnerin (4.00 / 4) #4 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:50:05 AM EST
*hugs* to you and ana.

"later" meant either "when you walk around the corner" or "oatmeal."
Sorry to hear that by FlightTest (4.00 / 4) #5 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:51:11 AM EST
It looks from your pictures that she had a very full and fun life with you. Our thoughts are with you.

I'll say this... by ana (4.00 / 4) #6 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:53:03 AM EST
I learned a lot about what love is from that dog.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Me, too by toxicfur (4.00 / 4) #7 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 10:56:56 AM EST

I've got more than one membership to more than one club, and I owe my life to the people that I love. - Ani DiFranco
Damn. by blixco (4.00 / 5) #8 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 11:07:26 AM EST
There are few things more sad than when you have to face that decision and the consequences of it.  Dogs shouldn't die.  It shouldn't be allowed.

The dog, she loved you, her pack, her den.  Y'all loved her.  There's not much more you can ask for out of this world.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

peace by joh3n (4.00 / 4) #9 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 11:31:25 AM EST

----

I am so sorry to hear it by cam (4.00 / 3) #10 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 11:33:56 AM EST

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

*hugs* by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 4) #11 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 11:57:39 AM EST
I'm so sorry for your loss.

My condolences to you. [nt] by greyrat (4.00 / 4) #12 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12:14:38 PM EST

Oh, I'm so sorry. by ad hoc (4.00 / 4) #13 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12:27:58 PM EST

Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Heartfelt condolences to you and Ana by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 3) #14 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12:56:38 PM EST
It looks like she was a sweet doggie and that you both enjoyed her company. Good that you have 6 years of wonderful memories to fondly look back on.

I miss my dog, she ran away from my mom's last July 4th and hasn't been seen since.

She looks like a sweetheart... by onethreeseven (4.00 / 3) #15 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 12:59:50 PM EST
and the picture of her with the cat (Teh Kat?) is the cutest thing I've seen in months.

Condolences.

I'm sorry :-( by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 01:00:50 PM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.... by dakini (4.00 / 2) #17 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 01:38:55 PM EST
as I said earlier, I have that decision to make and have been procrastinating this past week, but am afraid that this will be the week. I have had my "Bob" for over 13 years and he has taken me thru a lot of things in life. He has been my loyal friend and family. Take care and Teh Dogs "spirit" will be with you forever!

I am sorry about this. by MisterQueue (4.00 / 3) #18 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 02:34:00 PM EST

------------
"I always percieved the Q to be more about laughing at sadness, not laughing per se." -infinitera

teh dog was good dog by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #19 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 03:52:51 PM EST
Surprising, fast, and sad.  I'll miss her, too.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Love to you by MissTrish (4.00 / 3) #20 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 04:24:17 PM EST
I am horrible at expressing sadness and sympathy. But that doesn't make me any less sad. That's one happy, beautiful dog.

ypu're a chair
poor dawg by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 3) #21 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 04:51:24 PM EST
she had it good, and so did you.
Send me to Austria!
*tears* by moonvine (4.00 / 2) #22 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:27:51 PM EST
she brought so much joy into your life- such preciousness from something so completely guileless and innocent. the tears started to flow after reading your account of her attempting to still protect you and ana on her last leg. i cant think of anything else to say except that i feel so sorry for your loss. hugs

so sorry for your loss by wndl (4.00 / 2) #23 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:43:21 PM EST
I so completely understand and am, in fact, counting down the days til my cat Jordan stops eating. He's 15 yrs old and has an inoperable/untreatable cancer on his jaw that causes no pain, but will eventually prevent him from being able to eat. I probably have about 2-3 more months with him... and I'm so grateful to have had 15 years of his amazing energy.

I recommend placing a marker in your yard and planting something in memory of Sadie. My daughter still visits the graveyard of Masie, who died 2.5 yrs ago, talking to him and singing to him. Jordan will have a special spot too.

Big hugs from olytown!!

"...there you have it: an actual anecdote, second hand, from the Internet."--DesiredUsername
"what fun is gettin naked on a webcam if ya have to provide tech support"--dev trash

Thanks. by ana (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 05:45:57 PM EST
I remember Masie. I hope you know when the time comes. For us, it was pretty clear. But it's not any easier because of that.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

This part always hurts. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #25 Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 11:06:10 PM EST
No one likes losing a friend. I'm sorry to hear of this now.

Sorry to hear about your lose. by sobeinom (4.00 / 2) #26 Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 12:11:36 PM EST
A dog can be more than an animal we get, they become a part of our family.  They are with us through the good and bad standing there always being supportive.  They feel our pain and also do what they can to comfort us when the time arrises.  She seemed like an amazing creature and best of all a great friend. I am truly sorry for your lose and if there's something I can do to make this time easier don't hesitate to ask.

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • *crying* I'm so sorry for your loss. by molasses (4.00 / 2) #27 Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 05:08:42 PM EST
    I wish there were better or more comforting words I could say right now, but nothing comes close.  Just know I'm hugging my kitty a little tighter tonight so I can hold onto the memory someday.

You're in my thoughts.