Print Story Be it known
By ad hoc (Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 09:48:00 AM EST) pants, holiday, weekend, marathon, cycling (all tags)
my convertible pants are now in shorts mode.

Also, photos (but not of my pants)

Weekend plans. Saturday, maybe a bike ride, weather permitting. Sunday, maybe a bike ride, weather permitting. As Monday is a holiday, maybe a bike ride, weather permitting.

Actually, Monday will be a bike ride. It's Marathon Monday, so it's the annual finish-start-finish run. Since I live about two blocks from the finish line, I start there at around 6:00 AM, ride to the starting line in Hopkinton (that wide yellow line is the start), soak up the carny atmosphere, then ride back to the finish (that wide white line - the building below it is the library). They close off the last three blocks from the finish line when the races at around 10, so you need be finished before then, or not go the last little bit. But by then, it's so crowded, it's hard to get through there anyway.

Frankly, it's not an especially nice ride. The roads are very busy and not especially wide, but for that one day of the year, they are cleaned and traffic is on the lookout for non-car traffic. The only not really good part is SR135 through Framingham. There is also a very nasty set of tracks there. They're at an acute angle to the road, and every time I've gone past there, someone has gone down.

After that, I'm having lunch with toxicfur where we'll eat meat and drink beer, then go tattoo shopping.

Marathon photos (top to bottom):

1. The starting line in Hopkinton
  2. Lots of bikes do the ride in the morning
  3. The starting line
  4. A cute guardsman and port-O-johns as far as the eye can see
  5. The finish line in Copley Square

< clearing the air | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Be it known | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Whoa, when did Google Maps get picture-in-picture? by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 09:54:03 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Dunno by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 09:55:26 AM EST
I'm pissed by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 10:05:40 AM EST
ROFLWIFE and I have Sox tickets tonight, but it looks like rain is gonna be a pain in the ass.  Is the rain supposed to last through Monday?

----

No, just during the game. by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 10:16:49 AM EST
meanie by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 11:46:36 AM EST

----

I was talking about Patriots Day at the Post by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 10:14:23 AM EST
Office, explaining why my return probably wouldn't show up in Andover on Monday. The clerk though all 13 should get it off, I didn't have to heart to tell him that there are 34 NFL teams now.

It's only a holiday in MA and ME by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 10:18:54 AM EST
The Post Office is still open. We and Mainers get an extra day to file taxes, but the office is open.

Maybe he meant just the special team.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

did you by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 02:33:30 PM EST
find a replacement for the trader j's soy powder? I'm going to run out in 3 or 4 weeks.

Those train tracks in Framin'ham did a number on my car when I lived out there, I can only imagine what they do to a bike.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

No by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 05:10:36 PM EST
I tried that soy bean powder, but it really sucks. I think everyone else thought that too as it's no longer in the store at all.

The tracks are double difficult because the road right there is quite narrow and busy, you can't get out in the middle of the road to cross the tracks at a more reasonable angle.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

I agree by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Apr 15, 2006 at 05:27:02 AM EST