Print Story Chavtastic and Patriotic
By jump the ladder (Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:04:04 AM EST) chavs, drinking, partying (all tags)
Worth getting Sky just for this. Maybe I shouldn't be disparaging chavs anymore as it's the new form of snobbery.

Remember on the 28th of April, it's the Husi Drinks at the Anchor

Poll: your displays of patriotism?

Easter Weekend

Out on the beers with some mates from Giant Ukian Oil Company in the City as opposed to Milton Keynes with Skyscrapers (Canary Wharf) tonight. The City has nice traditional pubs as opposed to the crap chain ones you get at the Wharf and plus there's some proper nightclubs. I stay out late as Friday is a bank holiday, yay! Then Planet Angel on Friday night for some chemically assisted fun. Saturday recovery. Sunday recovery. Monday recovery.

Semi Final Of FA Cup, Mad For It

So got my hotel room in Manchester (well actually Manchester Airport) for the saturday after next night. So if any of your northern Husites fancy a night out down Madchester way, let me know. Driving down with meeejaman on the morning, drop the car off at the hotel, drink loads of beers and clamber up to the top of Old Trafford where you need a pair of binoculars to see the players because I'm tight bastard and bought the cheapest seats and then drink more beers seems to be the plan.

< HuSi F.A. Cup Competition 2006: Official 6th Round Status Report | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Chavtastic and Patriotic | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:28:39 AM EST
Slagging off foreigners.

Don't really see how taking the piss out of chavs is the new snobbery - it's just plain old snobbery and always has been. Still, it's better than Pikey, which is what we had before.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

But by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:33:01 AM EST
Even some people who view themselves as working class slag off chavs. Probably the same old divide between the respectable working classes and the underclasses.

True by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:47:03 AM EST
I don't think it's necessarily about plain old class, it's all got a lot more complicated over the years.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

a book by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 01:30:39 AM EST
if you haven't read it, grab a copy of Watching The English. She posits that the closer in class people are, the more they try to disassociate themselves from those just below.

I know I'm wrong by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:39:19 AM EST
I still call people "theiving gypsy" if they pinch my pen off my desk.

Too much Viz reading when I was younger.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Well by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:48:57 AM EST
One day you'll say it in front of a Gypsy. That'll stop you.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Likelihood by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:59:27 AM EST
of a gypsy having a job in a software company?

Might be in there sharpening knives by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 02:44:29 AM EST
They need to be kept in tip-top condition, or they can get stuck in the back of departing employees.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
What is more likely by dmg (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 01:52:18 PM EST
Is that he will say it in front of some politically-correct left-wing do-gooder, and lose his job.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

RACIALISTS! by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:34:08 AM EST
Why oh why must you always be trolling us Jocklanders?

Also: why no Yerpian Union flag?  Can't keep up with the number of stars on it?

Also also: which star on the Yerpian Union flag is UKia, and why is the same size as the ones for those little joke countries?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

psst. shh. by martingale (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 01:55:03 AM EST
(the UKia doesn't get it's own star until it pays its part of the budget).
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Heh by hulver (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 07:24:02 AM EST
And the French don't need their own star, they just take a little bit of everyone else's
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
naturally by martingale (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 03:30:10 PM EST
The French don't need a star, they own the flag and charge rent :)
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Stop trolling n/t by dmg (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:30:01 AM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Patriotism? by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 01:42:08 AM EST
Can't say I feel in the least bit patriotic, to be honest. I really don't see that I owe my country any greater allegiance than I owe to my world, or to my race. Yes, it provides for me, but that's a two way thing - it's not doing it out of the goodness of its collective heart, it's doing it (at least in part) out of my taxes.

Don't get me wrong, I feel no antipathy towards my country either; I simply don't see it as being something to be especially proud of.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that on the whole, I don't see it as being any more (or less) worthy of pride than any other developed nation. But then I tend to view nationalism in the same way that I view religion - it has its good points, but it's also been used as an excuse for some truly despicable acts throughout history.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Gah...patriotism by Phage (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 03:11:43 AM EST
But there is one flag that I've always liked.

Chavtastic and Patriotic | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback