Print Story Press 2 to repeat this menu
Do people read the tags? or do people even read the intros?

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I’ve been playing a lot of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lately.   It is accessible, intuitive (for an RPG), and tons of fun.  The only downside is that it is a bit of a system hog so on my PC it doesn’t look super pretty as many reviewers say it is.

MN Sports Summary

A summary of the status of MN Sports teams.

MN Twins – The team has some young talent but where there isn’t talent the holes are massive and often hopeless.   Even if the division didn’t have two very good teams they wouldn’t be going anywhere anyhow.  If they play notably above .500 I’ll be surprised.

It’s all irrelevant anyway as I give the team a 70% chance of leaving MN in the next 18 months, and 95% chance in the next 36 months.

MN Timberwolves – How many bad trades, horrible drafts, and poor free agent pickups do you need before you fire your GM?  The only solution at this point is to dump your dead weight and pay some team to take it, trading dead weight for dead weight and a pile of point guards does not a team make.

MN Wild – I’ve never liked the ownership.  I still don’t.  They’ve proven they’ll never take a chance and spend $ even when there is opportunity.  The TV broadcasters suck.   The logo is asstastic.  The only thing that would make me happy is if they proved they’ll make the moves you need to make to win, and dumped that stupid logo and changed their name to what it should be The Fighting Saints.  Now that is a mascot!

MN Vikings – A team with a dash of promise?  Yep.  The new coach seems like a no nonsense guy.  Childress combined with a new owner who clearly is willing to throw down the $$$ makes for some real hope there.

The team isn’t in horrible shape.   The O-Line needs some work but not up and down the whole line, there’s something good there and they’ve added more.  The D-Line is adequate but clearly needs more emphasis on pass rushing.  The Defensive secondary is in good shape and on the offensive side of things the WRs have some life in them and if the QB can be protected they should be alright.

Trading Culpepper seemed odd but the guy clearly didn’t want to play for them anymore.  Keeping his rehab secret and not contacting the team for ages after his potentially career ending injury, firing his agent after asking for a pay raise, denying he asked for a pay raise, then going to the media and ranting about how he wants a pay raise, and then wants to be traded . . . WTF?  I don’t see much choice there.

I’ve always been a Culpepper supporter even during the hard times, but he always seemed a bit fragile emotionally.  He was never a leader, and never the kind of guy to take the imitative and win the game.  That’s not to say he sucked.  I’d say he’s better than most QBs and on the right team could win it all.  Yet he’s far from that top level player who can make any team better with any skill.

Anyway I like the changes.  The new coach seems like a respectable and legitimate hard ass and even the owner seems that way.

Fiancé Job

The fiancé has been in search of a career for a while now.  Her education and experience in costume design/construction (something like that) eventually resulted in some disillusionment about that path.  Things like the odd schedule where during the off season she is pseudo laid off each year, the limited pay, and the absolutely crap ass insurance claim system made her wonder if that was where she wanted to go.

After some research (and based on some experience) she decided speech therapy was a path for her.  Test taking and preparation followed and the somewhat surprising and depressing rejection letter arrived from the local University graduate program.

A few depressed weeks followed and the Fiancé came across an option from her current employer.  They were asking her to apply for a job at their corporate HQ.  By some miracle the fiancé was then offered the job.  Not that she’s unqualified.  She is more than capable of doing the job.  The miracle is the fact that she’s moving from the retail end of things to the corporate HQ.  In my experience the ungodly retail world is just a cage where any advancement is minimal and good jobs at HQ are usually just a pipe dream used to placate the retail workers but never actually available to them.  I guess this is the exception that proves the rule.

The big bonus here is that the job is creative and should be relatively fun.

The Work Game

I’ve been trying to teach the fiancé the delicate skills of establishing relationships at work, and about how getting along with your coworkers is as much a part of your job as anything else. In my experience this seems especially true when it comes to getting along with the idiots, assholes, and the all important boss.

I believe the fiancé is a good worker but she ran into some issues with some notably unprofessional folks at her retail job.  Mainly the issue was a supervisor who seemed insecure and reacted by being an unstable and unpredictable dork and blaming everyone for everything thus giving license to the other managers to do the same.  While I certainly felt for her, I also felt my fiancé could have handled the situation better.

It’s hard to really put into words how the game works, probably because I think it comes naturally to me now.  I’m not expert but I feel pleased that even the people who I’ve ran into conflicts with at work like me these days.  I know where and when to pick my battles, and I think I’ve learned a fair amount during my short time in the working world.

Like me the fiancé has strong feelings about right and wrong and how the world should be an equitable place.  While I don’t think such feelings are totally incompatible with work, I’ve found that it is as much about how you present yourself and the issue as it is about the facts at hand.  The little things you say and do build up and can get you a great deal.

In addition I’m trying to teach her how going along with the little injustices and how you react to them can make later such situations result in far more favorable outcomes down the road.  This is seems especially true when you realize you’ve hit a wall of sorts that no matter how idiotic you just can’t move it.  Despite my positive relationships around the office there is crap that lands on me and I can’t change, but even taking that crap appropriately can be useful.  Even when it isn’t helpful sometimes fighting does no good and can only result in negative things.

No doubt there are far more eloquent people than I who have written about this topic.
There has to be a good book about this somewhere I can get her.

Wedding Registry

The fiancé and I did some wedding registry stuff recently.

The whole process feels awkward.  I’m just not the type of person who is comfortable asking people for things.

What would I really like?

• A new PC.
  • A new camera (Cannon 30D please).
  • A new car for the fiancé.
  • If all else fails, cash.
Of course the first two items are high priced so, and the third even higher priced.  So I wouldn’t ask for such things, and they’re the sort of things I’d rather buy myself.  Asking for the third is not thought of as appropriate.

So what am I getting?

• Kitchen things.
  • Things to use to make the guest bedroom look less like a closet and more like a place that someone might tolerate sleeping in.
  • Misc. items.
That’s not to say I don’t want some of the things on the list.  I do, they’re just not at the top of my list of things I want  I’m bound to be a bit disappointed with all the stuff we’re going to get.  It doesn’t help that I’m currently cleaning out my old junk in preparation for the fiancé’s move so the idea of more “stuff” isn’t something I’d like.

Another issue with the registry is that we don’t have much stuff on our list . . .  We’re both in our late 20s, and have lived on our own for a while.  We’ve accumulated a fair amount of the necessities.  Our registry is currently roughly 1/4th the size of our guest list.   According to the books that make crap up about weddings and tell people that don’t know any better (like me) we should to have twice as many items on the registry as guests.   How the heck is that possible?

Oh well.

< Gonna pitch a wang dang doodle all night long | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Press 2 to repeat this menu | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Asking for cash by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 08:16:17 AM EST
isnt as bad as you think.  Barring that, you should demand a new Hummer made out of $100 bills that had in-dash PCs and a roof mounted digital pro SLR.

----

or if you don't want to go that route, by garlic (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 08:48:36 AM EST
you can ask for them to make donations to your favorite charity.

Not a bad idea by duxup (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 09:41:49 AM EST
Maybe just a Honda made out of $100 bills, with some medium format headlights, some nice SLR lens blinkers and a nice PC for entertaining the kids in the back . . . I think I’m getting greedy.
____
Registry by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 09:09:03 AM EST
From our experience putting PC & PS2 & GC games on our list did raise a few eyebrows with some of the older relations, but those in our immedate family understood that these things were a reflection of ourselves. We even got the DS package we put on there from some friends of ours. So don't hold back.  Find someplace which has those things and point people to them. I cannot emphasize this enough: This is your wedding. They need to be getting gifts that the both of you want. Not "need". Not "could use". Want. So put those computer parts on the list. Put a bank account number where a down payment can be built up. Put the sun, the moon, and most of the Sol system on there.

The couple is registered at Tiffany's... by duxup (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:11:56 AM EST
There are two catches to the computer and such stuff.

1.    Not everyone but a good number of the guests are old and have limited store / internet access.  Marrying a bit later in life, and the fact that everyone in my fiancé’s family is at least 90 years old means the demographics are a bit wonky for this wedding.

2.    Many of them live in the middle of nowhere so their store and even internet access is limited.

The combination means that a high percentage of folks don’t have the access or skills to actually buy that stuff from the places that I would want them from.

Not to worry too much though.  For some of those things I want I’d almost rather buy them myself and I and certainly the fiancé certainly will be pleased with what we will get.  Also we do expect a fair amount of envelopes, and with envelopes come whatever I want, woot.

____

Nothing wrong with cash by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 09:12:11 AM EST
Cash is actually a pretty traditional wedding gift.  All the dishes, utensils, appliances, bed and bath stuff, etc. is a holdover from a time when people did not move out of their parents' homes until they got married, and thus had none of the above things to their name.  The wedding gift tradition is all about getting the happy couple started on their new life.  Cash works pretty well for that, too.

My only recent experience with that is when Teh Y's got married; I felt truly bizzare walking into REI and asking to see their wedding registry, but they have one.  If I ever get married I'll ask for his and her ocean-going kyaks, assuming I'm still in H-town.

REI by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:20:23 AM EST
I expect we’ll get some cash anyway, and that will make me quite happy.   The envelope pile will make me happy (well other than the wife of course).

Registering at REI.  I’m an indoors kind of guy so I find that interesting.

I got you guys a rope, sorry but it was on your registry.  I hope that wasn’t a mistake.

Oh this is awesome!  Thank you!

It is, uh yeah, I thought it would be...
____

I do by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 09:53:55 AM EST
Do people read the tags? or do people even read the intros?
well, I read the intros anyway.

Wheeee...Flyin' is Fun!!
Agreed by LodeRunner (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 02:37:11 PM EST
I read the intros; the tags not as much, especially when there's a lot of them (but don't take this as a discouragement for adding many tags). I don't think tags are actually for reading. They're more for... err... tagging stuff so you can find it later. I actually found myself searching (and finding) stuff through the tags system here, already.

Kitchen things... by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:01:26 AM EST
can be really cool. We use the espresso machine we got as a wedding gift nearly every weekend (for espresso) and literally every morning (the ordinary drip coffeemaker side of things). The very nice chef knife was a Christmas gift, though it would make a wonderful wedding gift as well, if people are at all inclined toward cooking (and not homicidal; the thing has a blade a foot long).

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Kitchen good by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:15:06 AM EST
One of the best gifts we got for Christmas was a breakfast griddle thing.  Just a big fancy hotplate like thing that makes breakfast foods so much easier to make than on the stovetop and such.
____
Reminds me... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:33:29 AM EST
We also got a very nice slow cooker. The base can be used as a griddle; the pot can be removed from it and used on the stove or in the oven, in addition to on the heating base. A+++ would use again and again. I think wndl picked it out.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Oooh I'll have to add one of those! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 11:02:44 AM EST

____
Also, by ana (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 11:04:48 AM EST
what with being elliptical instead of round, a whole chicken would fit in it.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

How to Win Friends and Influence People by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 10:43:47 AM EST
is a canonical text on getting along with other people. Good luck with that, Mrs. Ha has trouble getting along with people too.

I don't know why I didn't think of that by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 11:04:40 AM EST
* duxup starts surfing Amazon *
____
or garage sales, or used book stores by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 11:11:31 AM EST
I tend to see them for a quarter a few times a year.

Of course.... by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 11:31:17 AM EST
I have to counter your MN sports report with one of my own:

KC Royals: Where to begin? Our owner is a penny-pinching bastard, two of our three best players to come out of the farm system in 25 years are now playing in New York and Boston, and we're staring another 100 loss season square in the face. Meanwhile the GM who almost single-handly ruined our franchise in the mid 80's is going to win his 15th straight division in Atlanta.

The good news is that Missouri voted for stadium renovations, but they're not likely to be the kind that bring fans to the seats by themselves. And KC will support a winning baseball team; it's shown that in the past and it showed it a few years ago when the Royals were flirting with a .600 winning percentage.

KC Chiefs: While the Chiefs franchise is still relatively solid, it doesn't look like this year will be anything of significance. Larry Johnson was a nice suprise last year, but all that does is setup a running back controversy, unless the Chiefs can package Priest in some draft-day deal (which will be difficult given his salary). Plus the loss of Tony Richardson is going to kill our running game. And to the Vikings no less!! You didn't mention him but I'm telling you, your running game and pass protection is going to improve dramatically with the addition of Richardson.

Possibly a rebuilding year for the Chiefs, new coach will mean new systems and confusion, Trent Green is another year older and our stud linemen are showing their age, still mediocre receivers for the most part, the defense..........god who knows with the defense.

KC by duxup (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 12:00:34 PM EST
I was bummed to see the years following Royals shot period of competitiveness.   They’re one of the few teams that built a nice ballpark when the multi use POSes were built, and it is always nice to see a team struggling finally step up and play well.  I heard they are going to renovate, that's great.  I was worried they'd tear that sucker down and build something new.  I’ve never been there and I don’t doubt it needs renovation being that old, at the same time I’d hate to see it totally lost.

We’re happy to have Tony Richardson, thanks a bunch ;)  Those years of penny pinching used car salesman owner sucked up for us Vikings fans up here.  The new owner was well under the cap this year (as they have been for like 4 years) and the new coach went on a spending spree.  Even better was how they hired people.   Interview, offer, bam he’s hired.  No negotiations they just get the guys they want.  Mmm.  I hope Tony does well.  We’ve got an ok RB in Moore but he’s small, and thus can do only so much pass protection.

IMO running backs are nice but even a mediocre back can look great with a great line, and a poor O line makes a great RB look like trash so I’m happy we also picked up some nice linemen as well ;)

I’ve never known what to make of the Chiefs.  Great home team, but like the Vikings once were they had a high powered offense and horrible defense.  While that makes you look great and gets a lot of press . . . you’re as likely to go to the SB as a team squeaking into the playoffs at 8 and 8.  With the exception of St. Louis getting lucky once, such teams just don’t go all the way.  It just isn't done!
____

Kauffman by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 04:26:45 AM EST
You know people talk about how old Kauffman is, but it really is still an awesome ballpark. They've done some minor things over the years like put in a jumbotron and update the seats from the god-awful "red-orange-yellow" color scheme a few years back, and their grounds-crew is without a doubt one of the best in the business. All seats have a good view of the yard, parking is plentiful and easy.

The facilities like bathrooms and concessions do probably need updated, and the place could probably use some other "attractions" within the stadium itself, kid friendly games or a revamped hall of fame or some restraunts, which from what I understand is what the renovations are primarily for. Honestly Kauffman's (and Arroheads) biggest problem is that they're out in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking. I-70 runs right by the stadium, but aside from a couple of hotels on the other side of the interstate there aren't any restraunts, shopping districts, etc. It's odd too, as there's all kinds of land out there too, it could be easily done. Rearragne your parking a bit to make the shops within walking distance and you'd pretty much have what they have down in Dallas with the American Airlines arena. I'm shocked that no developer has tried to to do this yet.

Bummer by duxup (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Apr 14, 2006 at 05:49:18 AM EST
I didn't know Kauffman and Arrowhead were out in the middle of nowhere.  I always liked Arrowhead as it looks like a classic NFL stadium (at least on TV).  So many NFL stadiums have no character, especially the new ones.

Well if you want entertainment then you’d love proposal for the new Vikings stadium.  They’re planning on building a stadium with tons of parking and tailgating room, and attached to it . . . a new mall with the entertainment wing directly attached to the stadium, some hotels, a medical facility, and practice / spring tinning facilities.  On the land surrounding this whole thing would be walking paths along a nature preserve and offices for various businesses.

As you might be able to guess the new Vikings owner is a developer.

____

Twins by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 02:51:38 PM EST
I'm more optimistic. Keep in mind they were .500 last year with the lowest number of runs scored in the AL. The offense has picked up this year thus far, and FBatista certainly has helped. Obviously it's early so who knows if the power surge will continue or if the starting pitching will get on track (and by on track I mean in the top 3 in the league where they should be).

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

actually, by rmg (4.00 / 2) #21 Thu Apr 13, 2006 at 05:36:15 PM EST
intros are the only parts i read.

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.
Press 2 to repeat this menu | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback