Print Story Cause you really got it wrong, I didn't steal your boyfriend
By gazbo (Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:17:37 AM EST) (all tags)
Why can't people be on time for things (interviews included)?  Why do some people say things like "meet you at 8:00" and then come 8:10 think "right - best start getting ready"?

It's bad enough being on the receiving end of this, but at least you can get a pint in or something.  I was forced to partake in the supply side of this atrocity last night - waiting for people to get ready to give me a lift to the pub where I had told friends to meet me at a certain time - and it fucking sucked.

Inside: Gaz "plays" a "gig"!  Writing Fun Challenge!

Update [2006-4-10 14:38:32 by gazbo]: Recorded some guitar to show it off.

Music(1):

Bought a nice electro-acoustic guitar on Saturday.  Sounds amazing.  I paid a bit over the odds for it because I bought it in a local guitar shop rather than online.  The flip-side to this being I got to play a large selection of guitars before finding it, and I got it immediately.  Also, I quite like supporting that sort of specialist shop, especially when run by helpful friendly people.

Well I'd got tired of practising songs on electrics, then turning up and trying to play on someone else's random acoustic, so thought I'd get one myself that I could get used to.  Also, did I mention it sounds (and looks) amazing?

Music(2):

And also I was spurred to buy it because I was playing a few songs with my friend Matt at a FOAF's birthday bash in a pub!

Which brings us to my lateness.  After getting up early in order to get to Chesterfield, let Matt slowly recover from his hangover, pick up a fuck off big PA, speedily practise songs for 3 hours, then head to the pub to set up the PA and check the sound...frankly I was knackered and just wanted a pint, and get the set done.

But oh no!  Obviously the fastest way to make a 1 mile trip (tops) from Matt's house to the pub is to wait for someone to pick us up, drive us to a house a good 5 miles from the venue, and then wait till just before 8:00 before saying "oh, shall we book a taxi now?"

So I got to the pub in a foul mood, well aware that I had friends who'd come over from Sheffield who may not even have been able to get into the venue (oh yeah, and it was snowing).  Well, a bit of ranting and a pint and I felt human again.

So after letting a couple of other people play first (not so much generosity as it meant I could tweak the sound before we started playing) we got on with our set, which if I do say was poptastic:

Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian
Weezer - Buddy Holly
Ashlee Simpson - Boyfriend
McFly - All about you
Kelly Clarkson - Since u been gone

The second, third and last songs were just me on guitar - this was...interesting for Buddy Holly, as Matt invited the birthday girl and her friends on "stage" to sing along.  This meant that by the end of the song I was playing about 50% faster than at the start, in order to stay in time with the vocals.  Which made me work a bit harder.

I also played the limited edition 7" version of Since u been gone - you know, the one where the guitarist stops playing for 20 seconds in the middle in order to point out to the vocalist whereabouts he should be on the page.

Still, fun.

Me and Matt brought the guitars, and were letting everyone use them - we're not precious about such things.  However, when Matt went to the toilets and I to the bar, I was dismayed to see non-guitarist birthday girl go to the stage, pick up my guitar and start shrieking into the mic.  Ever seen a girl drunk?  Then you know what I mean about shrieking.  Plus she kept clumsily swiping at the strings, WITH AN ARMFUL OF METAL FUCKING BANGLES OVER HER RIGHT HAND.

It seemed my comment of "Very fucking funny.  Now get the fuck off my guitar." was too subtle, so I killed the mic and told her I'd turn it back on once she put the instrument down.  She did.  So I turned her back on, but trimmed the mic to a less ear-piercing volume.

"You've taken me offline!" She whined.
"Or perhaps you're just standing behind the speakers." I replied wearily.  She found it less funny than everyone else.

Well, that's about that.

Writing Fun Challenge:

Following in the noble footsteps of MFCs and the PFCs before them, ana has posted the inaugural Writing Fun Challenge.  It's only 2000 words maximum, so anyone who fancies flexing their writing muscles should go and see what it's all about.

Oh balls:

I have lots of work to do before I go on holiday.

I go on holiday on Wednesday.

Oh balls.

< French Govt Surrenders | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Cause you really got it wrong, I didn't steal your boyfriend | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You'd like Switzerland by komet (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:34:51 AM EST
If a woman agrees to meet you at, say, 8 pm, you can expect to get your 3 kisses from her between 19:59:25 and 20:00:05 (the latter with a profuse apology). This is even the case for attractive women.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
They keep time like a fine Swiss bank account by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:39:22 AM EST
I mean chocolate. I mean clock.

There, I think that exhausts my fund of Swiss stereotypes. No wait--lederhosen. And something about the Alps. OK, that's all.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Lederhosen = Bavaria by komet (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:45:28 AM EST
You were probably thinking about cheese.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Or Nazi gold by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:46:38 AM EST
I know I always get the two mixed up.

Those bastards shortchanged you, too? by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:03:37 AM EST
Really pisses me off when you're trying to buy a nice bit of immoral stored wealth and you come away with nothing but Jarlsberg.

Mind you, one time they tried to fob me off with Lymeswold, but I tell you I saw straight through that one.

Serves you right by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:22:56 AM EST

...For going to Norway to do your banking.

Too right! by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:51:37 AM EST
Sideways quislings!

I am always thinking about cheese by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:49:51 AM EST
But if lederhosen aren't Swiss, how do you explain the costume on the "Lonely Goatherd" in the song from The Sound of Music?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
The Sound of Music was in Austria by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:00:23 AM EST
could the Lonely Goatherd have been Austrian? We can ask gzt when he shows up, he seems up on the goatherding biz.

I'm surrounded by geo-fascists (nt) by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:02:09 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
That's because you're in Canada. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:04:19 AM EST
Or Mexico, or somewhere.

Nice Guitar. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:49:53 AM EST
I've never seen that maker.

I've an Ibanez classical with pickups.  It's nice and all, but I don't much play classical.  Have a decent Markley soundhole pickup for my Martin, though.

In re: gig, if anyone with bracelets started to play my guitar, they'd be kicked.  Good job not beating her with her own arm after first removing it with a broken bottle.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

"Play" is so not the right word by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:08:57 AM EST
Hitting open strings with her right hand with the guitar flat on her lap is closer - she didn't even pretend to be able to fret it.

As I asked her to hand the guitar back she exasperatedly flopped her bangled hand straight down onto the soundboard.  That was a real "Gary, not only is it her birthday, but there are witnesses" moment.

Fortunately (miraculously) it seems to have emerged entirely unscratched.

I'm with you on lateness by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:57:29 AM EST
Beats me why people would rather faff about doing absolutely nothing than stick to an appointment, does my head in as well.

Nice playlist.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

There are a couple of friends who by yicky yacky (4.00 / 4) #14 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:22:10 AM EST

do the late thing all the time. When someone challenged one of them about it once, they responded, "Well, I kind of assume that most people know what a useless scatter-brain I am, and take that into account". When the challenger pointed out that that sentiment directly translated as, "I fully expect other people to wait around indefinitely for me", the punctually-challenged one denied this was the case.

The solution is, of course, to give them fifteen minutes and then leave to go and do something else. What's doubly infuriating is that you only have to do this twice, at the maximum, and people suddenly start being punctual, which demonstrates that these slapdash individuals essentially maintain two lists of people: those they feel free to fuck around and those they don't.

'Lateness' happens all the time, and is hardly a shooting offence, but, especially in an age of email and mobile phones, not giving people sufficient warning is pretty inexcusable really. I have a relative who phones up two minutes before the due meeting time to say that they will forty minutes late. How does that work?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Being late... by ana (4.00 / 6) #16 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:25:21 AM EST
says "I'm more important than you are."

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Our CEO recently kept us waiting for an hour by Rogerborg (4.00 / 5) #25 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 07:27:17 AM EST
The whole company, plus our lawyers and bankers and investors and some Friends and Family.  The really classy part is that he did it right in front of our faces, standing on a stage, talking on the 'phone to, you know, other important people.  Then he gave a two hour "motivational" speech, part of which stressed the importance of delivering on time, while his minions fended off the venue goons who were trying to shut off his mike and get us out of the auditorium.

I say "us", but I got up and left after 15 minutes, so I'm reporting this second hand.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

It's like that by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #31 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:51:05 AM EST
even after you got a new job?

Oh wait, you're still with the people who've been feeding your workhate for the past 3 years, are you?

I'll deal with YOU by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 01:07:02 AM EST
in a pending diary.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Yeah by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:42:35 AM EST
If someone lets me know it's fine. If I'm standing around and they're already meant to be there when they let me know, it's not.

I've never done the fuck off after 15 mins thing. Problem is it ruins your night out as well. Suppose I should think a bit more long-term about it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

What I don't get, by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #19 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:50:48 AM EST
is why I do it with trains.

I think I'm not too bad when actually meeting people, although I can't remember the last time I had a 'wait around outside somewhere' rendezvous, as opposed to a 'people will turn up from around...' rendezvous, so I'm not certain. I'm getting better with appointments, too. I used to be from 0-10 minutes late, now I'm 0-10 minutes early.

Mobile phones are the problem... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:36:58 AM EST
as they give people an excuse to not be punctual - they figure they can just call ahead and say they'll be a few minutes late.

Doesn't work with me as I don't have a cell phone - I usually give people 10 to 15 minutes then I quit waiting for them.

damn right! by bobdole (4.00 / 2) #24 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 06:49:32 AM EST
I've got this one particular friend who seems unchangable on the lateness, eventhough been confronted on it by several different people.

Several times I've just left instead of waiting for him, and then when he calls just tell him how long I waited... he still don't get it.
-- The revolution will not be televised.

I am confused. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:15:46 AM EST
Other people seem not to have voted for option 2 in the poll.

Mind you, my mouse has been pretty innaccurate lately, so maybe they've all got bird flu and everyone meant to vote for Buddy Holly, but missed.

Lateness by priestess (4.00 / 2) #17 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:40:12 AM EST
An Article. In Sumary: He reckons it's an itterated Prisioners Dilemma. Tit For Tat should work ;)

Pre........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Errr ... No by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 05:58:11 AM EST

Tit For Tat is strategically (and statistically) the best option because it maximizes your gain (or minimizes your losses) based on any given action by the opponent; it dictates that, regardless of what they do, you come off least badly out of all possible options. What it doesn't do is force them into the cooperative option; indeed, it is after a long period of cooperation that betrayal is most effective (in the short term).

Not that the situation is necessarily the IPD (as the article addendum makes out, it's much more complex etc.). In fact, I'd argue that the situation is not truly modellable under game theory, as each specific instance is carrying a whole bunch of minor issues [personal feelings, mood etc.] unique to itself).

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Ah by priestess (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 06:37:01 AM EST
But if a rational player knows you're playing tit-for-tat then their best expected gain will be to cooperate all the time rather than turning up late all the time.

The basic assumption that people are ratioonal players is, of course, entirely flawed.

Pre.......
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Quite by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 06:47:59 AM EST

although, AAUI, 'rational' means something very specific in utility theory (to do with distribution of knowledge and goals / gain) as opposed to modern logical "reason".

The articles and papers your link follows through to, though, are very interesting, especially this one. As others pointed out, Chamberlain's initial model has no factor for maintaining equilibrium, (it bveing essentially a bit of fun) and they stipulate a "social cost" for lateness in order to prevent infinite regression. It's this "social cost" which I think is the problem with the models, as its generation is very probably the result of a phenomenally complex (unmodellable?) system.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Nice guitar by motty (4.00 / 1) #26 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:06:13 AM EST
When I got my Tanglewood guitar (which is not quite as nice as yours, shall we say) I made the mistake of trying to take the 'Tanglewood' sticker off the scratch plate, thinking it would be designed to come off easily. It wasn't. I hope yours has no such sticker (or if it does, that it at least wasn't so offensively ugly as mine).

Also, mine sounded like totally tinny arse through any PA until the soundguy at some gig set the EQ on the pickup for me as follows: bass and sub-bass at 40% or so, mid at 20%, top at 0%, brightness at 0%. Volume rarely needs to go over 50%, often much less. I'd never have figured that out by myself, but now it sounds like a guitar again. Doesn't look like you've got quite the same pickup as I do, but it's probably a piezo type, and according to this guy they're all a) really tinny sounding, hence the 'lose all top and most mid' setup, and b) often too powerful a signal (so no need to turn up to 11 unless you want horrible feedback).

I used to not be precious about such things as letting other people play my guitars until a couple of bad experiences with guitars getting dropped on the floor from a height or slammed in a door and so on; I'd recommend a policy of selective preciousness. This will avoid future girls attempting to use an armful of bangles as a pick and such. Also, you will find yourself one day in a position of having watched some guy break a string on his own guitar, borrow someone else's, break a string on that, then ask you if he can borrow yours. Another good time to suddenly become precious.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Funny you bring up pickups by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:18:46 AM EST
One of the big things they harp on about with my guitar is that it doesn't use piezos, but instead use B-Band pickups.  Don't expect to get too much info off that site - the best you'll get is that they work more like a condenser mic than piezos.

But it sounded great plugged in, even with all EQs set to 12 o'clock.  Really full and bassy, without sounding dull or muddy.  I've just checked how it ended up after tweaking, and it's basically the same - bass, middle and presence are now at 1 o'clock, and treble is at 11.  So not really all that far off how it started.

So maybe that pickup nonsense isn't all hype.

Yes, I probably shouldn't be so cavalier with my guitar.  In this case, I did at least know everyone who played it (and generally they were better guitarists than me to boot).  I doubt I'd have offered it up were it a true open mic night rather than a private party.

Funnily enough, one of the guys in question plays in a band, and recently snapped a string at a gig.  He had no backup guitars.  Or even strings.  He had to shout out to the audience to beg for a replacement...

Cool. by motty (4.00 / 1) #28 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:26:10 AM EST
Yeah. From what you are saying, the pickup thing isn't hype at all. B-band certainly can't be worse than piezos, and sounding reasonably good with all EQs at middle is really good news for obvious reasons. Wish you well to play it etc.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Ah, why the hell not by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #29 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:30:51 AM EST
As I'm at home, figured I may as well record a sample.  It's all completely raw and unedited, except for a touch of reverb applied to the mix.  I experimented with two different ways of actually getting it into the computer but couldn't decide which sounded best - so I panned them left and right and kept them both.

So if you'll just ignore the fact that the strumming pattern goes a bit awry after the lead finishes... ;-)

Linkie

Obviously not as good as just miking the thing, and the EQ could do with tweaking, but you get an idea.

Now there's an idea for an by hulver (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 11:55:22 AM EST
MHC (Music Hell Competition).

Record a track, whatever, but make it sound good without reverb.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Just for that suggestion... by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 02:19:13 PM EST
YOU BURN IN HELL!

I assume you already know by stark (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 10:17:29 PM EST
that there's some Girls Aloud programme on E4 at 10.30 this evening?
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
Indeed I did by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #33 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 10:44:10 PM EST
But I appreciate the reminder.