Print Story Sad news New York drivers
Motorbikes
By georgeha (Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 07:39:24 AM EST) neoprene, anger, taxes, softball, aggies (all tags)
this weekend I saw someone had scored the GOATSE license plate.

Plus, anger level yellow, a paternalistic car shopping experience with Irish_girl, Capture the flag with nine year old, why softball is better than baseball, why won't it go, can you spare some neoprene and more!

Poll: Favorite Commonwealth Realms nation TV comedy?

All in all, not a good weekend, a rather unsatisfying weekend even, that left me in a sort of simmering angry mood, of which I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

It could just be because I am stuck on my taxes, I need to know just how much Mrs. Ha spent at her therapist last year. Neither Mrs. Ha nor therapist are good at record keeping (therapist has never submitted our claims to our HMO, according to them we have are about $300 short of meeting this year's deductable, becuase that doesn't count the $1200 we've spent at therapist, so we get reamed on co-pays), so my estimate of how much Mrs. Ha paid last year varies by about $500 USD, which affects my return by about $150. My dad is getting anxious, and I have only 4 days left to file, without asking for an extension.

It could be because I saw lots of Irish_girl this weekend, including several hours on our usually sancrosanct Sundays, car shopping. You gentlereaders will recall that Irish_girl needs a car, and has about $2k USD to spend on one. Sunday afternoon we looked at a 1995 Nissan, which needs a CV joint and exhaust pipe replacement, for $1800. It also burned a bit of oil when Irish_girl stomped on it, and there was no road test.

I wrote all this up for Irish_girl, was a little unfriendly to the seller, and now Irish_girl has to check with our mechanic with my findings. Mrs. Ha found this charmingly paternalistic.

Irish_girl and baby_daddy also came over Saturday evening to look through the wants ads and browse the internet. It made dinner plans a little dicey until I went out and got pizza and wings. I had to park behind a rusting domestic car with the license plate of GOATSE on it, no lie. I had to leave a note expressing my admiration, but the only paper I had was a small piece with Postscript written on it, I hope they deciphered my writing.

Later when I tried to explain how funny this was, Mrs. Ha did not get it. Maybe she just doesn't find distended anii very funny.

I could be getting annoyed at Mrs. Ha for spending so much time with Irish_girl, and how she's starting to make Irish_girl's problems her problems.

It could be that I was on call and bad stuff went down Saturday, messing up my workout and leaving me anxious.

It could be the anger phase of the rollercoast I'm riding.

It could just be frustration that I don't have my bike on the road yet. I did install the carbs, but I couldn't get it to kick over. Part of the problem is the battery is near dead, so I'm putting a new one in this evening. I should still check the float levels and throttle cable adustment and pilot screw adjustments and then see where we are.

It wasn't all anger, there was significant bat and ball related activities. First, while working out I watched the Oklahoma - Texas A&M woman's softball game, and it was entertaining. I don't enjoy watching baseball, but something about watching fit young women in tight shiny outfits running around, sliding into second and hugging each other made it more tolerable. A shame you can't play in the rain.

The girls and I (including upstreet_girl) played a fair amount of wiffle ball too. It's not easy teaching a four year old the proper batting stance. upstreet_girl likes to pitch overhand, uncontrollably, too, someone needs to teach her a gently underhand.

Nine year old and I played a lot of Capture the Flag by Carr Software, the fully licensed one which I bought about a decade ago. It still has my old address on the licensing screen, and has migrated across 5 PC's that I recall, but has never been played simultaneously, so I haven't broken the licensing agreement. Highly recommended, just like playing outside without those awful sunburns, grass stains and insect bites.

Dang, why doesn't someone local sell neoprene? I think I need some sort of case for my MP3 player, and neoprene seems like the ideal material to make one out of. I don't want to order a sheet off the internet, but I may have to.

Our local IP depository has some wonderful DVD's, this week it was Father Ted. We watched an episode (the Funfair one) before it was time for Red Green on Saturday, which makes me realize how many funny shows come from the Commonwealth nations. What's your favorite comedy show from a Commonwealth Realms nation?

< Cause you really got it wrong, I didn't steal your boyfriend | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Sad news New York drivers | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
neoprene et al by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 07:50:38 AM EST
with all the beer you make and drink, you don't have a neoprene beer huggie/cozy ? They're $1.99 at the supermarket.. Might need more than one to cover an mp3 player.. And how you'd join them (what glue to use) I don't know..

Wimmin softball.. It's an odd mix -- some very purty girls, and some ogres.

I enjoy the way the bouquet develops by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 07:54:57 AM EST
as the beer warms up. Plus, sometimes the volatiles in neoprene affect my tastebuds, I swear I can taste it in my mouth when I touch it, usually newer neoprene.

WIPO by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 07:56:25 AM EST
The Games from AUland
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Or maybe by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:21:48 AM EST
Husians hate the Kids in the Hall by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:30:36 AM EST
no one has voted for them, not even with a dupe account.

Ah well by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:51:55 AM EST
No accounting for taste. The Games is an awesome show.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Seconded by Greener (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 03:17:55 PM EST
Has it aired anywhere recently? I remember CBC showing it in the late 90s but only caught a few episodes and I'd love to see more. I couldn't even find it on DVD when I was living in Australia.

And as much as I want to vote for KITH it's tough with Trailer Park Boys and Coupling in the same poll.

They showed it by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 03:52:45 PM EST
on Channel 2 a while ago and I was able to tape it. I'm afraid of losing it since it's on VHS.

I've been looking for the DVD for a long time. It seems to have been for sale in AU, but I haven't been able to find it recently (it's not on the ABC site any more that I can find). I didn't get it then because I couldn't find out if it was region encoded.

I'd love to have it.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

WIPO Jocklandish options by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:16:31 AM EST
Although Absolutely isn't really a proper UKian show, as it ran to more than 6 episodes.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
WIPO by 256 (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:32:34 AM EST
This Hour has 22 Minutes / The Mercer Report
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Blackadder by stark (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:48:48 AM EST
Frequently approaches genius, particularly after the first (slightly spotty) series.

It's amazing how funny the word "Bob" can be, when delivered properly...
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

Not to mention by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:02:00 AM EST
Antidisestablishmentarianism.

WIPO by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 10:05:44 AM EST
Peep Show is very funny.

Also, I don't know about GOATSE license plates, but in the UK, GOA 75E would be about as close as you could legally get. No doubt some sad linux using wanker has already taken it as an 'ironic' joke, not realising joke is on him...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

This is why USia is better by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 10:07:05 AM EST
each state has their own plates, so 50 wankers can be driving around with GOATSE plates.

Are you for real? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 10:14:28 AM EST
License plates aren't unique?
That's insane.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
They are unique by lm (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 10:40:33 AM EST
They just have a multipart key: state of issue and number.

Cicero, The Republic
We need a far bigger solution space than UKia by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 11:13:05 AM EST
since we have more licensed vehicles than people in USia.

WIPOs by Greener (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 03:25:21 PM EST
The Newsroom (Canada)
Twitch City (Canada)
The Fast Show (UK)
Black Books (UK)
Father Ted (UK)
Only Fools and Horses (UK)
Little Britain (UK)
Fat Pizza (Australia)

and many others that have slipped my mind.

Dang I'm an ass by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:42:19 PM EST
I really, really meant to include Father Ted.

britcom by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 03:56:39 PM EST
Er commcom.  Or whatever.  Red Green is Good.  Father Ted too.  AbFab, okay.  The Young Youngs.  Keeping Up Appearances.  Are you Being Served?

Blizzard of Death '06
Ab Fab and the Young Ones by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 04:44:00 PM EST
I should have included those, though I've only seen a handful of the Young One's episodes.

I <3 AYBS? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 06:46:33 PM EST
That show kills me.

I never saw it by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 01:28:02 AM EST
I didn't even know it was a comedy.

I've seen a DVD set for sale. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 03:56:57 AM EST
It's pretty dry humour, but I like it.

Sad news New York drivers | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback