Print Story somebody's a bigger geek than he lets on
By calla (Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:19:27 PM EST) geek, Mexican, Cthulhu, hippies (all tags)
My hippie brother and his wife finally visited last night.

Poll: Geek past

Before I forget, last weekend we hung out with Captain Tenille. He's extremely entertaining. Highly recommended A+++++!!!

Now on to last night. It's been a few years since I've seen my brother and his wife. We took them to our favorite cheap Mexican place. Sulky 12-year-old complained constantly about her chicken burrito. Luckily my brother and his wife understand pre-teens. Their daughter is only a few years out of that phase. Afterward we went home and chatted.

My brother brought up bits of my geeky past. Gory details of D&D games, Elric, Cthulhu, Commodores, and too many other things that had long been covered with dust and spiderwebs in my brain.

Turns out that the big guy knows about all of these geek things. He even knows that "Stormbringer steals the souls of those it slays!!!" Awe, who's a big geek? - you are, you are, you are.

The waitress at our favorite Chinese restaurant has assured me about my beau. "He a good man. He take care of you". I think she based her judgment on his asking about vegetarian dishes for me. Hey, who am I to doubt her reasoning. So with her glowing endorsement, I think I'll keep him.

< I Was Going to Go to the Store | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
somebody's a bigger geek than he lets on | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Earth to Calla by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:32:23 PM EST
big guy owns Devo DVDs. Can it get any geekier than that?

Devvo DVDs? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:44:01 PM EST
Would a fatpie.com addiction be geekier?

Geeks are not gross. by calla (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:12:05 PM EST
Often they're clean and tidy.

Being a geek. . . by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 05:07:51 AM EST

I disagree, and am highly offended by your insinuation.

Craack that whip! by NoMoreNicksLeft (3.00 / 3) #5 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:02:00 PM EST
We are not men, we are Devo.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
uh by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:28:33 AM EST
It's "are we not men?" A question.

Sure he'll admit his DEVO addiction, by calla (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:03:06 PM EST
but he pretends to be the less geeky one of us.

DEVO ISN'T GEEKY by gzt (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 06:20:38 PM EST
David Bowie digs Devo and if you say David Bowie is geeky, I don't want to be normal.

Geek Past? by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:34:19 PM EST
I'm sort of like Scrooge. I'm haunted by the Ghost of My Geek Past, the Ghost of My Geek Present, and the Ghost of My Geek Future.

I have two post-it notes stuck to my face by Forbidden (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:59:32 PM EST
Right now.

I got my hair cut today.

You once was.
I'm confused. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 03:41:40 PM EST
Is one condition related to the other?
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Christ only knows. [nt] by Forbidden (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 03:57:33 PM EST

You once was.
The poll. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 04:09:00 PM EST
I'm familiar with all. Elric though, only because of a "magic sword poll" I did on K5 a few months back. Stormbringer turned up on wikipedia. I think it was #1, by the way.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Imagine a big and funny guy by calla (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:10:35 PM EST
saying "It steals the souls of of those it slays" over and over.
It's cute in a geeky way.

Of course Stormbringer is number one. An evil sentient sword kicks ass.

You have no clue what you're talking about. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:20:58 PM EST
Skulltwister is by far cooler, though if I really did have a choice, it would be Wayfinder (who wants Coinspinner when it can evaporate at any time? Wayfinder brings wisdom).

Of course, you do have some taste. I mean, you could have preferred Goodkind's Sword of Truth (ick).
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Vic=20 FOR LIFE. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #13 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:25:00 PM EST

And the C64 SID chip!

You say that. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 2) #14 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:29:07 PM EST
But somehow I doubt you've got the 2400 baud serial adapter hooked up to your linux machine so you can read husi with lynx on your vic20 terminal.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
I don't use Lunix. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #15 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:32:41 PM EST

I'm a professional UNIX administrator.

Oh. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:38:51 PM EST
That's pretty fucking hardcore to write your own PPP stack and web browser in commodore basic.

(100% serious: I do have a PCI GPIB card sitting in my home server, and I desperately want to get a Pet to hook up to it...)
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

I have the Commodore SX-64 by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 06:52:54 PM EST

"Executive Computer" "portable" C64, which I love, but I have no need or desire to network it. It gets used primarily as a low-end drum machine, cranking out hawt 8-bit goodness.

I had given some thought to poking around and seeing if I could get Coherent running on it, but, hey, who's got the time?

I'm always trying to network mine. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 08:17:52 PM EST
I've got a PDP-11/04 that I really need to get around to finding a unibus ethernet adapter for (how can you not get at least a little excited over a nic with a whose surface area is measured in square feet?).

Also looking for an arcnet nic for my TRS-80 Model 6000 (running XENIX, woohoo!). The amigas are mostly on the arcnet segment.

And of course, my localtalk segment is the most bizarre network in the world.

I've even got the starlan nic sitting in my home server waiting for the day I get an actual 3b2.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

All the hours I spent on that thing by calla (4.00 / 3) #18 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:48:32 PM EST
waiting, waiting, waiting.

I wish I still had that VIC-20.

Boy, have I got a happy surprise for you... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #21 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 06:51:04 PM EST

RELIVE THE MAGIC!

Those screenshots by calla (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 07:23:02 AM EST
brought tears to my eyes. I didn't expect that.

Thanks!!!

Geek past by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:36:21 PM EST
When I was in high school, we stopped playing D&D. Instead, we started playing "Stormbringer", a role playing game based on Elric.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I remember that game. by calla (3.00 / 1) #19 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 06:05:21 PM EST
My buddy, Tonya, wanted us all to try it, but none of us had the energy to learn a new role-playing game.

Are you the Geek King?

I have this theory by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #24 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 11:05:04 PM EST
That he was never really a Grunt Cop, he just has flashbacks to a particularly vivid d20 modern campaign.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I can see it. by calla (4.00 / 1) #31 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 07:30:53 AM EST
He's kinda like Mark David Chapman - except his object of obsession is a character in a game.

He has spent years gathering memorabilia and gear until even he can't tell if he really was a cop or not.

His photographs in uniform are especially nice.

Should I worry?

Geeky past? by thunderbee (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 03:03:55 AM EST
Why past?

I still play AD&D (1st ed) when I can gather enough players, still have a copy of Stormbringer (before it got renamed to Elric), still have the original Cthulhu (before it got ported to d20).

There's nothing like a good pen'n'paper RPG with some friends (emphasis on the R in RPG).

I don't have space for my old machines unfortunately, but like to run a wizardry or warp factor game on an apple ][ emulator (went from Sinclair ZX81 to the Apple without a stop on a Commodore, flame on ;-).

Why past? by calla (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 07:25:04 AM EST
Kids. 'nuff said.

Missing Poll Option: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 06:57:35 AM EST
  • French Horn. In Symphonic Band, Pit Orchestra and Orchestra.

• Band Geeks are a special breed. by calla (4.00 / 2) #32 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 07:54:27 AM EST
    Band geeks got band chicks, which was much more than most regular geeks got.

Heh heh heh. You said 'breed'! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #33 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 02:52:04 PM EST
    Band chicks. Well, for me it was more like banned chicks. Although there was my lovely L__ from another high school in the district. Mmmmmmm. I don't know why, but she had an obsession about deflowering me for some reason. But that's a story for another time, inshallah.

deflowering you? by calla (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 03:33:01 PM EST
    I don't think boys have flowers.

Your L__ was unusual. Didn't she know that the boys were supposed to do the obsessing?

Getting the high school boys obsessed was easy - keep them begging. Don't even kiss them. They'll buy nice things for you, take you to nice places, write poems about you, etc.

Hmm. by thunderbee (4.00 / 1) #35 Sun Mar 12, 2006 at 10:06:33 PM EST
    I'll let you know as mine grow up; but right now the problem is finding enough players :)