Print Story I Was Going to Go to the Store
Games
By dr k (Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:33:26 AM EST) Civilization IV, Ron Howard films (all tags)
But then the Mongols attacked.

Update [2006-3-9 15:52:51 by dr k]: Roosevelt keeps wanting to trade fish for ivory. Fish? For ivory?

Sid Meier has ruined my life, family, &c with Civilization IV.

I'm not sure I even like this game. The opening moves are slow. The mid-game is even slower. I can only assume the endgame is glacial, because I've yet to be bothered to wrap the thing up.

Why does it take so long to destroy neighboring civs? I raze a city, and the next thing I know they send along a galley holding a settler and an archer and they rebuild in the same damn place, while my army is busy marching to the capital.

Why don't I get food bonuses from food resources? When you roll over the icons, it says "+1 bread, +1 health", but I'm not getting that extra bread. The same with production resources, no extra production. What a gyp.

I think the game penalizes too much for building a large number of cities, and for building a large empire. In the early game, you simply can't build a distant city without excessive taxes and the very high risk of being crushed by barbarians.

To counteract this I have developed "The X Strategy": build your cities in an X pattern, three squares away from another city. This is the minimum distance between cities (what is up with that?) but it nearly maximizes the geographic area of your empire, makes the most of resources (sharing only two squares for each neighboring city), and makes trade routes easy to connect. Plus it eliminates over-thinking those strategic decisions about which square is better for the next city — "optimized" city locations tend to be unbalanced in the long run anyway.

And let me complain once again about the number of glitches in this game, even with the latest patch. At random intervals, the refresh rate goes way down. I think this is a video memory buffering problem, like Firaxis built a home-brew garbage collection routine that gets clogged. I have figured out that I can Alt-Tab back to Windows, and then back to the game and the refresh is back to normal.

< Short diary | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I Was Going to Go to the Store | 43 comments (43 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You Need Shitty-Wall, Protect You Shitty. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:42:50 AM EST
I build it, cheap cheap cheap.

hmm by dr k (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:07:16 AM EST
Walls don't help an undefended city, which is the kind of risky empire building I like to engage in. And for some reason you can't sell city walls for a quick buck, like you used to be able to.

:| :| :| :| :|

Hmmm.. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #3 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:09:58 AM EST
I see you've taken to this whole "working" at the office concept quite well.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Baby I'm A Natural! by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:51:52 AM EST
Ah yes.... the afternoon sleepies by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #10 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 11:04:27 AM EST
Nothing a heaping helping of sugar and caffeine won't fix up! I hear tell Jaffa Cakes work well in that regard, low in fat too.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

You work with guys, right? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 11:41:22 AM EST
You'll get as far as saying "Uh oh, my wife thinks she has a prolapsing..." before they pack you off home.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I'll Save That One For A Mental Health Day. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #26 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:04:36 PM EST
No no no no by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:43:17 AM EST
you shoot your wad.

you blow your load.

If you wish to continue in this film production house, you must learn to use the correct terms and phrases. "blow your wad" indeed..

I do not understand by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:14:46 PM EST
A shitty wall would obviously protect me from the shitty, not protect me shitty. Why would I want to protect me shitty?

You once was.
Mongolian! by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:46:29 PM EST
I see by Forbidden (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:49:09 PM EST
It's your shitty.

In that case, I'm glad there's a wall. We can play extreme nudist table tennis hardcore dead or alive something something three.

You once was.
I Am Teh Architect! by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:01:49 PM EST
Sir, sir, you need to see this! by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:20:42 PM EST
Shit, private! Someone get the President on line one!

Sir, yes, bad news sir: he's gone corporate!

You once was.
I was wondering by dr k (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:21:08 PM EST
what happened to your contractions.

:| :| :| :| :|

Civ4 strategems by cam (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:10:13 AM EST
I got frustrated when I first started playing, but there is a path to quickly dominate. tix, mm and ucb might have different views on it though.

Starting off three cities max. Get iron and Hinduism as quick as possible. Swordsman are the only way to take cities in the early stages, let them practice on barbarian cities. Until you are the wealthiest bugger on the board, destroy enemy improvements and raze their cities without concern.

Religion, religion, religion. Get as many as you can. Until Liberalism, I am a fundamentalist (though not theocratic). I spread as many religions as possible in my cities so I can build the religious improvements. Great for culture. I also culture bomb when I get an artist.

If I get gunpowder first I start spending about ten/twenty percent of my output on culture, if not having one city pump culture constantly. It helps isolate those pesky cities that build on your border regions.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

sound similar by dr k (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:46:51 AM EST
to my strategy, except by the time I get gunpowder I lose interest in the scenario and start another game.

For resources, I find it isn't as important to have something as it is to deny it to another civ.

I always shoot for Polytheism first, but I like the Buddhism icon better.

:| :| :| :| :|

Once I get tanks by cam (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:53:17 AM EST
I go for culture and stop warring. Up until then usually some dumbass wants to pick fights, unless you are the biggest civilisation by a bit.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

tanks? this game has tanks? by dr k (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:08:15 PM EST
It took me 3,000 years just to get horses. Seriously, I had to wait for a galleon and send out a colony, only to find the stupid Americans already there.

:| :| :| :| :|

Yeh tanks, robotic infantry, F16s, Stealth bombers by cam (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:02:10 PM EST
and nukes if you want to be particularly vicious on civs that dont have the STD(?).

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Oh they all have STDs, by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:04:27 PM EST
its the ones with SDI that you have to watch out for.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
you dont have the bio-weapon mod? by cam (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:08:33 PM EST
You can unleash a Magic-Johnson/Tommy-Lee on an opposing civilisation.
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
My 12-year-old is begging for Civ IV by calla (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:11:20 AM EST
Luckily I can keep it from her until June, when the Mac version is released.

Definitely by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:54:28 AM EST
Don't let her have it before school's out.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
School goes until the end of June here. by calla (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:26:37 PM EST
They just don't understand summer vacation.

She's fanatical about her online boards. I'm not looking forward to her refusing to go to bed because "I can't pause now mom - the game won't let me".

Don't worry by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:22:50 PM EST
You can save Civ IV at any time.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
What in the hell happened with schools anyway? by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #36 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:37:28 PM EST
When I started first grade, it was Sept. 1st, I remember because the next day was my birthday.

And while I'm not exactly sure, I think school ended that year the first week of May.

Hell, even christmas vacation is some bullshit like 3 days.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Civ is much like sex by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #12 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 11:46:14 AM EST
There's the unimaginative formulaic ritual foreplay at the start of every session, and just when you're clenching your teeth and grinding stoically for hour after hour towards what you fervently hope will be a satisfying conclusion, some rampaging Zulu slips in through your trade route and sacks your booty.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
something on your mind, Rogerborg? by dr k (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:10:26 PM EST
IHBT

:| :| :| :| :|

I believe it may be a metaphor by Forbidden (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:13:04 PM EST
Farmgirl just yesterday joined the French Foreign Legion.

You once was.
Some ideas by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:39:22 PM EST
Try "quick" mode. Much more bearable to play.

For destroying your neighbors its best to pull waves of blitzkrieg attacks. Build a force, move in pillaging and capturing cities until your force is depleted, then sue for peace. While your at the 10 turns of enforced peace use that to rebuild your army and captured city, repeat. Really you just need to put overwhelming force in one area and then hold the pressure as long as possible.

Food/Strategic resources need their improvements built before you get the bonus. Once the improvement is built every connected city should have the bonus. Also theres no duplication of resource bonuses.

Civ size is rather restricted until you get Code of Laws and courthouses/forbidden city. In compenation you can build ~4-6 "mega cities" in the early stage that will power all of your mid age expansion. Having a high cash flow and science is critical.

I basically use this strategy. You end up sacrificing some early capabilities for a strong middle game where you can push on everyone else. Also I find Swordsmen overrated. Axemen, preferably with Catapults, are just as effective against any opponent youre likely to see in that era.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

I also demand tribute before declaring war by cam (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:15:08 PM EST
to drain them of as much gold as possible.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

What does it mean by this; by cam (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:20:00 PM EST
Once I get two great scientists, I put the specialists back to working tiles.

Specialists can work tiles?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

probably means by dr k (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:51:02 PM EST
he forces two citizens to be scientists until the city generates two supers, then he puts the citizens back to work.

:| :| :| :| :|

ok by cam (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 03:08:04 PM EST
I dont micromanage that close. Which is prob why I have never risen above noble.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

+1 bread by dr k (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:26:43 PM EST
I know how to improve resources. I want my free bread for each food resource. It says "+1 bread", which I intepret to mean "You get +1 food in each city." Stones &c are supposed to provide +1 production.

Yes, swordsmen are not very good, except very early in the game.

:| :| :| :| :|

The japanese samurai are pretty awesome by cam (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 03:08:45 PM EST
Kind of like early strike swordsmen.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Ive never confirmed.. by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #41 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:24:35 PM EST
but you should automagically get that. Althogh im pretty sure you cant duplicate benifits, so 3 Wheats on provide 1 bread in each city.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
lately by theantix (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 08:35:30 PM EST
I've been trying a spiritual angle, getting all the religions I can (which provides the money that your early cottages provide) and getting pyramids so you can quickly jump to representation.  With the religions you end up getting lots of great prophets which end up producing science numbers with representation and your big cities are happy which carries you a long way into the middle game.

that, and the good ol' fashioned suicidal cataputs.  You gotta love 'em.

Ive done that too by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #42 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:31:49 PM EST
I found i was spending too much time pumping out missionaries to convert my neighbors. Also the religious hatred bonuses can really put you at a bad spot if you cant convert at least one or two imeddiate neighbors into coreligionist allies.

Banking on something like Pyramids or Oracle just doesnt sit well with me. If I can CS Slingshot Ill take it, but I prefer to have a solid base game and then view wonders as bonuses. And if you go a warring youll still get many wonders that way too.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

well yeah by theantix (2.00 / 0) #43 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 04:35:02 PM EST
if someone else gets the pyramids,just attack them.  ;-)

space race by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:04:07 PM EST
i've won a few times with culture...pretty easily actually (not on hard levels though). i'm having a tougher time with space (on monarch i think) because i get behind on science and can't catch up.

do you guys do the chopping thing?

chopping thing? by dr k (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 07:34:33 PM EST
Chop down the forests for production?

:| :| :| :| :|

I think he means settler chop by theantix (2.00 / 0) #38 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 08:32:59 PM EST
Where you build wonders with your main production and chop trees to build settlers, allowing you to grow your city while still building a settler and something else.

It's clever, but not as great as it sounds.  I'd rather chop to get a wonder.

I Was Going to Go to the Store | 43 comments (43 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback