Print Story Obscured by clouds
By TheophileEscargot (Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 08:51:03 AM EST) Whisky, Watching (all tags)
Whisky Live notes.

Whisky Live
Went to the Whisky Live tasting at the weekend. Was quieter than last year, so a bit easier to get to the front of the popular stands. Usual thing: just spent a few hours there, starting at 11:30 AM. Whisky tasting doesn't involve any wimpy spitting-out business, so after that we went to the pub for a couple of beers to sober up, and get a bite to eat. Mostly concentrated on the Scotches this year, since had quite a few international whiskies last time. Notes transcripted below, as far as was possible.
  1. Tullibardine '93. Raw, sweet, powerful. Took my breath away with the first gulp. New independent distillery, first of the new batch
  2. Tullibardine '88. One of the remaining whiskies from when this was owned by Whyte and Mackay. Much smoother, still pretty sweet.
  3. Highland Park 18yo. Absolutely gorgeous: rich, full, balanced, powerful. Might stretch to some but £60 per bottle
  4. Highland Park 15yo. Inferior to the standard 12yo I thought. Spends a lot of time in bourbon casks instead of sherry, but that just made it bland and insipid.
  5. Ben Riach 16yo. Been an independent since 2002 so no new whiskies yet, though the new people have been bottling the older casks to their own standard. Light, woody.
  6. Aberfeldy 21yo. Soft, balanced, pleasant, but at £75 not really worth the extra £50 over the normal 12yo.
  7. Mackmyra 1yo peated oak. Tried some of this mad Swedish stuff (under the name Mackmyra Smoke) last year too. It's very young, but put in very small, raw oak casks so it gets a lot of flavour very quickly Their cask stuff (Smoke or Elegant) is nearly 60% has a hell of kick: it's like being smacked around the head with a blazing tree branch, but in a good way. You can only buy it by the cask though. I think it's also illegal to sell it in the UK as whisky, since it's under 3 years.
  8. Mackmyra non-peated 3yo. Smoother than the peated variety, but still powerful stuff. Poteen-y according to one of the people who know.
  9. Mackmyra Preludium:01 (3yo). Their first whisky that they're selling by the bottle. Available in Royal Mile Whiskies apparently. Milder than the others, powerful by most standards; they seem to have judged this ready for civilian use. Might seek out a bottle.
  10. Balvenie Doublewood 12yo. Should have skipped this one really: had it before and it's not really better than the 10yo, which I've been through a couple of bottles of. Not unpleasant, but it doesn't really seem to work: tastes kind of unnaturally sweet to me.
  11. Balvenie 21yo. Notes say "very nice": remember enjoying it an awful lot but can't quite remember exactly what it was like.
  12. Ben Riach 21 year old. Bit of an oddity: a Speyside malt but heavily peated like an Islay. Works extremely well actually: strong-tasting but softer and subtler than most Islays. Might just be the age though: Islays seem to get a lot better when they're a couple of decades old.
  13. Talisker 18yo. Very good
  14. Caol Isla 18yo. Another very good old peaty whisky. In this case the younger stuff is good too, but again this is richer and smoother.
  15. Bunnahabhain? (I think) 16yo. Smooth, very good.
  16. Bunnahabhain 18yo. p?w?w?ly?n smooth. Pronounced "banna hav in".
  17. (?) Illegible name 12 yo . Fine. Notes fading by this time
  18. (? same as above) 20yo. Best.
  19. (?) Different to the above. "All right"
  20. Jura 12. "Smooth good smooth."
  21. Vin Winkle's 12yo. "Good"
  22. Vin Winkle's 15yo. "Very good"
  23. (?) "Good"
  24. S? Something possibly beginning with S. Age and notes unclear
Watching 1
Saw The Dukes of Hazzard: Unseen on DVD. Pretty awful: not quite sure how they managed to make a car-chase-and-hot-chicks movie that was so bad. For some reason they seemed to be trying to position it as a sub-Farelly brothers teen comedy; with lots of uncreative swearing, innuendo and the odd bit of gratuitous nudity. Can't see how that could be a good move commercially: teenagers presumably don't have much nostalgia for the series, and it would have alienated the thirty-somethings and excluded the kids.

Also doesn't really seem to fit the genre template. Teen comedies usually have fairly hapless protagonists to get more laughs and plot out of their quest for sex: confident good-looking jocks like Bo and Luke are more usually the bad guys. The movie seemed to struggle that contradiction, even hitting one of the characters on the head to apparently turn him into a dork.

A complete lack of good comic acting and comic timing didn't help either. At least the original series' team of bad guys have a pretty competent schtick going between Boss Hogg, Sheriff Roscoe and Deputy Enos. In the movie no-one seems able to turn on the funny.

Stunts are more impressive in the out-takes than in the movie. It doesn't stay consistent between realistic stunt-work and effects, which makes it hard to care or appreciate. There's an impressive jump where the car drives off from the freeway, but the riding-the-safe scene as pretty silly

Gratuitous nudity: not sure how much was inserted into the "Unseen" edition and how much was in the original. Again suffers from being a bit samey: lots of perfectly spherical and utterly unyielding plastic boobies.

Recommendation: avoid. On my R=entertainment,G=originality,B=intelligence scale I give it a #281008 #281008

Watching 2
Forgot to give Bubba Ho-Tep an RGB rating at the time. Call it #B0C098 #B0C098

< What we did last weekend.. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Obscured by clouds | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Isle of Jura 12 by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:03:13 AM EST
I was introduced to Jura by "industrial" musician, Chris Connelley, who suggested it as a tasty and cheap replacement for Oban. I'm not sure it tasted much like Oban, but it sure as fuck was a great deal cheaper, and I retain a bottle of it in my home bar at all times, as a result.

I wouldn't put much faith in my judgement by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:08:45 AM EST
After number 12 or so.

I've bought a bottle or two of Jura before: not sure if it was the 12 year old. Pretty mild tasting but very drinkable.

Number 25 sounds great. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:11:33 AM EST
How much of each did you have?

Not very much by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:37:20 AM EST
Hence my being alive.

Some of the stands just slosh in a random amount. Some of them have little tasting-size optics on the bottles though. I think 15cl, though I could be misremembering.

Still, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:49:24 AM EST
sounds like a wobbly kind of night.

15cl?! by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 01:23:12 PM EST
... times 24 means you drank 3.6 litres of whisky (plus numbers 25 through 37 that you forgot to write notes for) - no wonder you couldn't read your notes!
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Well, that would be lethal by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 08:20:07 PM EST
Maybe it was ml. Or maybe another number entirely.
+1; Best new rating scale by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:15:08 AM EST

Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
IAWTP. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 09:28:46 AM EST
Even if I was a little slow to work out the first one.

What about the advertising girl tasting the Thanksgiving sodas, though? Doesn't she come into the running, or am I nostalgic for last year.

I think she was probably 2 years ago by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:23:47 PM EST
HOT by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:52:06 PM EST
I'm sad that I've never seen her around town.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

I heard she moved... by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 03:39:11 PM EST
I've *just* worked out what it's about by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 12:21:17 AM EST
But can't for the life of me deduct meaningful scores from it. It's still the best rating system though.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

+1FP by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 12:19:43 AM EST
Glen Riach 21 year old sounds interesting.

What posessed you to spend precious time watching the Dukes of Hazard movie?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Operation Become Less Fat by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 07:39:22 AM EST
Involves a certain amount of lifting dumb-bells, so I tend to watch undemanding DVDs or TV while doing them.

Didn't know it would be as bad as it was. I mean the reviewers said it was terrible, but they said the same thing about Stealth, which I gave a respectable #C80520.

Slight error there: I put Glen Riach when it should be Ben Riach.

In my book by thunderbee (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 02:47:01 AM EST
Caol Isla 18 yo cask strength is amongst the very best, on par with the Nikka white (I'm into heavily peated stuff).

Obscured by clouds | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback