Print Story Important Beard News
By motty (Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:26:00 PM EST) beard, news, important, comics, music, MFC, rambling, depression (all tags)
I have removed most of my beard.

It had to be done.

Inside: incoherent drunken rambling.

Fucking Gary Bastard Glitter. Just when I finally get a beard that is a) low maintenance, b) looks good on me, c) has interesting, sadly now forever hypothetical, possibilities in terms of the other use, it has to get upstaged by the worlds most famous kiddy fiddler and I start getting bad looks off people in the street.

So, no more beard. When he gets out of prison, many people will want to stab Glitter in the balls, and not wrongly. I would like to stab him in the chin.

I have been reading far too much 8-bit Theatre lately. As in all of it. Not healthy.

Then again, I have been not healthy generally lately. Nothing physical, just a combination of a growing sense of grim black unceasing miserableness coupled with an increasing alcohol consumption and a really stupid week last week when I accidentally smoked an eigth of skunk and found that it really does fuck me up much more badly than ever before now, including totally uncharacteristic aggressive mood swings, paranoia and weeping fits, not including actually feeling particularly good during what is supposed to be the 'high' bit. Fucking skunk. Fuck that. It really isn't weed at all, and if that's THC in there it certainly doesn't feel like THC.

Basically the only thing holding me together at the moment is my promise to myself to draw and upload three comics a week, no matter how bad, which I have now stuck to for nine weeks. Over this time I have read the entire archives of a good ten or fifteen or so really really good comics, and the only downside is that reading webcomics now no longer feels in any way like skiving.

I am also totally on the point of booking an actual rehearsal room for an actual rehearsal next actual week which two actual musicians have actually agreed to turn up to. That will be good.

I am looking forward to recording an MFC entry or so too this time. I don't know why I haven't yet.

I have the world's stupidest gig next Thursday, at the Finnegan's Wake in Ealing where the guy has required me to tell him exactly how many people will be coming to see me by 5pm on the day of the gig. Like I'm going to know. I'll be playing all of two ten minute sets, and he wants me to make sure that no-one comes to see me who hasn't told me they are coming first, because it's an 'Industry Showcase', whatever that means. I was going to do printed invites, but then I thought a) fuck it, and b) I am too skint to do printed invites. I am currently waiting for dole money to come through so I can buy guitar strings. I am not doing printed invites for an unpaid gig where anyone coming to see me on the offchance will probably not actually be let in.

If anyone who does come to see me doesn't get let in I will be furious. Perhaps I should tell him that I have 35 people coming to see me and, then, when the true figure is more like 6, tell him that I received a text message telling me that their minibus had broken down.

This guy's musical biography is fascinating, if you like long rambling texts written by musicians, which, obviously, I seem to.

Your good healths etc.

< Ruffs, Stoves and Airplanes | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Important Beard News | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Speaking of musical biography by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:34:04 PM EST
This guys resume is pretty amazing. Not that he played on any real amazing stuff, but just the sheer number of albums/CD's he's played on.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Wow. by motty (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:39:45 PM EST
He has been busy.

I think I've only heard his really commercial session stuff like Thriller.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

My sister was a big Toto fan by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:08:10 PM EST
So I grew up listening to that quite a bit.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Wow by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:09:51 PM EST
Right On! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 04:54:43 AM EST
You know, I really loved her early stuff...

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Minibuses: Notoriously Unreliable by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 02:26:30 PM EST

Excellent comics, by the way. And on the plus side, it'd take a whole bunch of accidental plastic surgery to end up looking like the King of Pop[pin' Kiddie Orifii], Michael Jackson. So you got that going for you, even if you did have to shave off the BEARD OF JUSTICE.

Dammit... by motty (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:02:46 PM EST
That wasn't just a BEARD OF JUSTICE. It was a veritable BEARD OF JUSTICE AND RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Ah well.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Are you sure? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:16:44 PM EST
I've not seen it for real, but a little bird told me that it was like a cock made out of shit.

Well, it's one way to tell you I like your comic. Keep it together. I found all dope had that effect on me. Stoned is clearly not a state of mind that I can cope with.

Yeah. by motty (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:29:53 PM EST
It's not easy to find proper, non-genetically modified weed these days, and if even that has half the effect on you that skunk does me, leave it alone. Not everything works on everyone the same way. I've met people that aren't actually turned into a complete wanker by coke, for example, though it does bugger all for me and rather less than anything for most.

Currently busy tying knots and such. Ta.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

8-bit theatre, meh. by Forbidden (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 02:48:53 PM EST
I can't read more than 4-5 strips at a time. The humor just isn't there. So the fighter's an idiot, we get it. The mage, yeah. I understand it all. Now for something new.

The same reason that I don't read Sluggy anymore, and check MegaTokyo once a month. You can read 30 strips in 10 minutes and suddenly you realize that nothing happened.

Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick is pretty good. The strips are nice and long, and each one of them has a sort of mini-plot. He still hasn't admitted that he's a professional webcomic guy yet (in that he wants to be a D&D writer guy), but a good reference. Short strips are good when one doesn't need continuity (See: Penny Arcade). When you're trying to tell a story, though, I would say 6-8 panels is the minimum.

Also, glad to hear about the MFC entry.

Sorry to hear that you're a pathetic loser, though. Tough skins, man. You can do it!

You once was.
Can't stand Sluggy. by motty (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:25:07 PM EST
Lost it with Megatokyo, too.

But yeah, Order of the Stick is a fine fine thing.

Nothing Nice To Say, though, has me in awe. Fucker won't do it any more, but it's one of the few archives I've read all of lately that I really wished there were more of.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

How about Life on Forbez? by Forbidden (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:48:37 PM EST
A good strip, if not as well known. Pretty funny in places, too.

I've tried checking out the one you suggested, but it's frozen my browser twice. I'll take a look when I get home.

You once was.
Reading it now... by motty (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:45:26 PM EST
Not half bad so far.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
It's terrific. by Forbidden (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:50:57 PM EST
Good premise, nice art, and lots of background.

But the author is just...man, so flaky.

You once was.
Wean yourself off of that 8-bit tosh by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 11:11:00 PM EST
with Order of the Stick.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Banjthulu rocks. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 11:37:11 PM EST

Comics by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:52:26 AM EST
Erm, hang on, the way you introduced them there made me think they wouldn't be any good. Seriously good stuff, bookmarked and emailed on to many people (hope you don't mind).

Cannabis - not a good idea if you're feeling a bit down.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Printed invites by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 03:17:22 AM EST
My latest amazon order came with an offer for 250 "free" business cards from VistaPrint...  I think you have to pay a bit in postage and have an advert on the back though.

It seems to be a bit of grim time... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:25:42 AM EST
amongst sensitive people. A lot of people I know have had a godawful mental state over the last week or so. Strange business...

Important Beard News | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback