Print Story Attn: Fishkeepers
Fishies
By LilFlightTest (Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:21:06 PM EST) fissies (all tags)
I have a question about piscine cohabitation.

once my plants get a little more established, and it looks a little more realistic in that tank, i want to get a hoarde of some small schooling fish. this is an amazonian type setup, swordplants, grasses, etc. currently in there are angels, rams, and swordtails. so, here's the question: can i keep danios or black neons in there without the angels poking them to death? they dont bother the baby swords, since they've started coming out of hiding, and those are way smaller than a neon. it's an adult breeding pair of angels, but they've become much less chasey since the swords were added.

if the smaller schoolers won't work, i'm probably just going to switch to green swords, moving the orange guys to another tank. (then again, you dont generally find tinfoil gold angels in the wild either...gotta get a new wild-type female...)

anyone have a clue?

< poor kossacks. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attn: Fishkeepers | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
no. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:27:58 PM EST
I do know that my loaches and plecostomus are tearing up my live plants. At least, I'm going to blame them. I mean, the plants get plenty of water, and plenty of light, why won't the just thrive! stupid plants. . .

yes, they are by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 07:34:27 AM EST
they're bottom fish. you generally dont put bottom dwellers in with live plants, because their moving through them constantly will tear em up.

however, you might be able to beef em up a bit with some modifications. try fluorite, or laterite. those are gravel mixes that have fertilizer in them, for root system growth. also, use a leaf builder, which has other nutrients they need for healthy leaf growth.
Send me to Austria!

I want both! by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 07:57:23 AM EST
i like the fish being able to nibble on the plants, and I'll keep replacing them as they get mangled so far. If I have to choose though, the fish stay and the plants turn plastic.

How likely am I to run into problems from introducing another source of nitrates into the system? Or are these fertilizers not nitrate based?

the plants take care of it by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:57:59 AM EST
but no, it's not going to upset your tank's balance. the added plant matter will help balance out the small change that may occur. if you go substrate level, upsetting your gravel bed is more likely to make trouble (but only if it's dirty).
Send me to Austria!
No clues here by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:53:48 AM EST
I will however recommend these as an excellent addition to any fresh or salt water aquarium.

my angels would be thrilled. by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 07:35:41 AM EST
they beg for pieces of nick's sandwich, and will actually eat any bread he tosses is. i'm sure they'd love crackers.
Send me to Austria!
For true Amazonian schooling by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:24:03 AM EST
Add a few piranha.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
All I know about this is that by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:52:13 AM EST
the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Yes hello by komet (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:02:46 AM EST
I believe the word you are looking for is piscean.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Isn't that a term for by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:33:33 AM EST
Cohabiting with aquarius, rather than cohabiting in aquariums?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL