Print Story Can you smell it?
By ad hoc (Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 10:11:12 AM EST) taxes, bikes, films, mlp (all tags)

Can you?

Update [2006-3-7 15:24:43 by ad hoc]: OMG!!!

Spring is coming! It's not really that warm out, but there's a definite spring-like odeur. That, and the sun is at that angle. There's an angle it hits right before everything goes dark for the winter, and again right before everything wakes back up again. The sun is at that angle today.

Got my corporate taxes sorted and mailed. There's another chunk of change gone to The Man. Now to start the personal taxes.

I got my REI statement in the mail yesterday. I've got about 85 REI-bucks to spend this year. Woo! Plus there's a 20% off one time coupon in the mix, so that's all good. I also got a "we miss you" e-mail from Nashbar this morning with another 10% coupon. Apparently, I haven't bought anything there in a while. They sent a paper catalog last night, so I think this is headed for my shopping e-cart.

This is very cool

The American death streak continues unabated. Today's entrants: Kirby Pucket and Mrs. Superman. Or should that be "today's exits"?

Did you know MySpace.com belongs to Rupert? I didn't.

Mystic River
[Netflix] [IMDb]

Jimmy (Sean Penn), Dave (Tim Robbins), and Sean (Kevin Bacon) grow up in Chelsea, Massachusetts on the banks of the Mystic River. As a boy, Dave is kidnapped and held by a sexual preditor for four days before he escapes. The experience colors the rest of the three boy's existance. The three drift apart until re-united by the murder of Jimmy's daughter. Dave is still a neighbor, and Sean is the State Cop assigned to the case (along with his assistant, Laurence Fishburne, as the Sgt.).

The three boys lives follow paths that are radically different, yet are grounded in the inescapeable neighborhood. Sean becomes a cop, Jimmy is a criminal, and it's never clear to me what Dave ended up as except totally messed up. This is a tragic tale, and well told for the most part, at least until the end when it all falls apart in an ending that seems totally cobbled together. The solution of the mystery is presented in what amounts to little more than a postscript narration, and involved characters only tangentially in the story up to that point.

Some of the interaction between the characters was good, but Sean Penn was too over the top in his tragic loss and lost me. How did that get Best Actor? I mean, only James Lipton would love that character. He was convincing as a thug, though. The music was very heavy handed, so thankfully it was used sparingly. (I was surprized that Clint Eastwood wrote the music, too.)

I'm not familiar with Chelsea, so I can't say whether it accurately represented the neighborhood or not. My impressions was that it did. I don't know if it's co-incidental or not, but Chelsea is really insular and difficult to get to, even from other, nearby towns. Like the Charles, the Mystic is a big river, but unlike the Charles, there aren't many crossings. Even the Tobin Bridge (the big green one in the backdrop of the movie) passes over Chelsea and you have to double back to get there. That parallels with the insular nature of the neighborhood the characters live in.

would not watch again.

< I've walked seven miles to the high wood to get you gruts | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Can you smell it? | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sand art: Vcool by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 10:19:17 AM EST
Doves, rainbows, baby birds and "just imagine..": Laem

The former outweighs the latter for now, but when the novelty wears off I think we are looking at the flea market velvet paintings of 2017.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

IAWTP by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:19:09 AM EST
I'd like to see an illustrated story.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
RE: Travolta. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:06:23 AM EST

Who says creativity is dead?

The actor will take on the role of Edna Turnblad in "Hairspray," a coming film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical based on John Waters' 1988 film.

I'm trying to picture the psuedocode and all I'm able to come up with is:

Something tells me it goes deeper than that.

It'd sure be cool if someone could fucking WRITE a new movie these days. You know, writing? Where they throw darts at a board filled with things like, "heroine rips her skirt" and "tough guy saves heroine from evil doers."

That part was made for Divine. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:22:01 AM EST
I have a hard time picturing anyone else. Certainly not Travolta.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
The sand art thing... by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:22:49 AM EST
is very cool indeed.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Interesting by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:55:35 AM EST
Just yesterday I was reading in "Science News" that the chance of someone dying shoots through the roof within a year or so of having a spouse die, especially if that spouse has a long, debilitating illness.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
But not usually in your 40s. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:59:17 AM EST
hard to say by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:04:44 PM EST
The study was just people over 65, though the argument, that playing the caretaker role is extremely hard on the body and that it makes you more susceptible to illness, probably applies to anyone.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Well, that makes sense by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:09:26 PM EST
I thought this was the "loss of the other half" thing. But if it's stress of a caretaker, I could totally believe that, especially if the person needed a lot of care, like Reeves did.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
A guy I used to work with by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:46:28 PM EST
Died within hours of his wife's passing. He was in his 70's, and had kept working in order to have good medical insurance to cover her needs. Her passing wasn't even sudden, it had been expected for a while.

Sad, really.

Say by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:51:52 PM EST
A friend sent me this with the commentary that it looked like he was in the middle of screaming "haaaaaard!" You haven't been combining your love of curling and your love of biking, have you?

Vive le Montréal libre.
Look for it by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:59:42 PM EST
It will be riding weather by the end of the week by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 01:31:51 PM EST
the "heavy enough to break a leg and very unstable on cold pavement kind of bike" riding weather, but I don't know if I'll be ready by then.

I've avoided Mystic River, I like escapist fare to make me feel good, not something to make me feel worse.

I sure hope so by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 02:08:43 PM EST
Might rain, though.

It was a downer of a movie, that's for sure.

Next up is Ran.

Then Smoke Signals then 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

It's been a while since I saw ran, by garlic (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:25:26 PM EST
and being forced to watch it for school may have certainly colored my opinion. I will say though that it was very pretty, with everyone charging about wearing flags.

Okay, I give up... by bob6 (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 10:45:58 PM EST
Which of the three guys in the picture is Travolta?

Cheers.
Heh by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:18:05 AM EST
The one with the teeth.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
A film based on a musical of by blixco (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:36:06 AM EST
a film!?!  WHAT THE FUCK, OVER?  Hollywood, look: I have some original thoughts and ideas.  I have sixty, seventy really good ideas for a movie every day.  And it's not just me...everyone I have ever spoken to with the exception of some stone-age atavistic customers has the ability to create an originl idea.

But Hollywood's been playing the same four movies since 1948.  And it is getting old.

Granted, Travolta cross-dressing and playing a part played, in the movie, by Divine should be something quite remarkable.  And I do really like John Waters.  But you'd figure John Waters would at least have an original idea left in his pointy little head.

Jebus.  At least when I ask my nephew "hey, did you ever see that movie about that guy, he comes back from $war and find his $hometown is run by $drug lords, and he singlehandedly cleans it up?" he can say "yeah, I did, it starred $wrestler!" and we'll have a moment.

Goddamn useless bastards.  More money than most countries, and they still can find anything decent to point their expensive equipment at.  Jesus Christ.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Film of a musical of a film by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:55:00 AM EST
That there's my point. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 05:46:50 AM EST
Goddamn Hollywood.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
O and by blixco (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 05:48:23 AM EST
I ended up in Chelsea once.  I never got out.

I'm still there.

Send help and Cuban sandwiches.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

MMmmm Cuban sandwiches! by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 05:50:39 AM EST
Can you smell it? | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback