Print Story Picture Diary: Our Attic
Marriage
By FlightTest (Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 08:30:27 PM EST) (all tags)

Inspired by duxup

And a short social commentary.

Attic

This is the door to the attic, in our entry hall. It is actually only one of two entrances to the attic, the other being a very small opening in another hallway that puts you on the wrong side of the ductwork. So I installed this one to make access to the attic easier.
The Door is Closed

There is a closet to the immediate left, then the entry way with the front door further off to the left, and the door you can see ahead to the left goes to the garage. The living room is straight ahead, and the kitchen is through the door you can see ahead to the right, across from the door to the garage. To the immediate right is the furnace and hot water heater. The stairs fold down like so.
The Door is Open

I hauled some plywood up there and made a storage area. Some stuff

It's not as packed as it seems though, and I'm careful not to overload the rafters. The area where I have stuff stored is mostly over interior walls, or small hallways, so the unsupported lengths are short, and I've screwed the plywood to the rafters making it more solid.

Some more stuff

Commentary

Stuff like this makes me glad that I'm not dating.

"That is very important because, under the law, it is a man's responsibility to ensure that he has a responsible belief that the woman has consented."
How perfectly patriarchal. Were I the type to cast labels, I'd say the U.K. court's attitudes towards women are quite sexist. Once the woman passes a certain BAC, evidently she's no longer responsible for her actions. Men, on the other hand, are afforded no such harbor.

I'm not making light of rape, it's a horrible crime, and being drunk is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for forcing yourself on a woman, nor is it at all acceptable to get a woman drunk in order to get her to have sex with you. That being said, I think whipping out a consent form prior to sexual activities would kinda spoil the mood.

Unless, of course, the U.K. is right, and women really don't want sex.

< Fatigue Pages Turning Better Day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Picture Diary: Our Attic | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Your Attic is Hawt! by duxup (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 08:57:35 PM EST
I wish I had one of those.  If anything my house is missing it is storage space.  I'm going to have someone put up shelves in my garage but even then I'm going to be a bit short on such space with the fiance moves in.  Oh well it's just my first home.
____
Hot it is by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 09:35:38 PM EST
Especially in summer. I've never taken a thermometer up there, but it's pretty unbearable up there even on relatively mild days.

I should post some pics of the shelving in our garage, and my workbench as well. Hard to have too much storage space, for some reason doubling the number of people seems to triple or even quadruple the required storage space.

venting ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 04:44:01 AM EST
attic fans, gable fans, ridge-line vents -- any of those ? Are your soffits open or blocked ?

(says a man who's fixed his attic fan twice, in the middle of summer, in the South.. Sweated in places I didn't know could sweat..)

Two whirly-gigs by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:26:27 AM EST
And a couple other roof-vents. There is one largeish vent on the other side of the house from where I've put the storage. I plan to replace that plain vent with an attic fan.

Attic flooring by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 11:56:08 PM EST
I have also put some attic flooring up, but in true anonimouse style have not finished the job, so mine is not screwed to the rafters. This makes going round my attic a highly entertaining experience.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Battery-powered drills by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:40:13 AM EST
And self-driving screws are your friends. One of the good things about my short stint as an electrician is I have some very good cordless tools. My dewalt drill is 18v - plenty of power to drive a bunch of self-drilling screws.

Atticus by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:32:35 AM EST
Unfortunately there's not a great deal of standing up room in my attic; the roof has a low pitch.

My main reason for going up there was to drop cat5 cable down the walls of the house; to do that I needed to crawl, hence the flooring, and have power/lighting for the switches. I had to change the bulbs for low wattage versions becuase it made it too damn hot up there.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Standing? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 05:20:20 AM EST
No standing room in our attic either, crawling room only. The attic access I put in comes up right under the peak of the roof, though, so it's not too bad right next to the access. The access that came with the house almost couldn't come up in a worse place. It's about the lowest point it could be and still allow you to wiggle in, besides being on the wrong side of the duct work.

I put flourescent shop lights up in my attic. But there was no lighting up there before I started.

No insulation? by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:46:21 AM EST
I must not know where you live. My attic has about 2 feet of insulation in it, so I can't poke around up there at all.

Nice job with the plywood - it looks solid!

It's under the plywood by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:22:03 AM EST
The rafters are 2x6's, so there's blown in insulation from the ceiling to the tops of the rafters. I live in Southern California (Orange County), and it rarely gets below 38F or above 100F. So while more insulation might cut my heating and cooling somewhat, it's not a big deal.

Picture Diary: Our Attic | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback