Print Story Abortion is Murder
Family
By tps12 (Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:30:44 AM EST) justice, fetus, abortion, South Dakota (all tags)
And although rape is a crime, punishment should not be exacted on an innocent third party as a result.

Unless of course "[t]he girl was a virgin. She was religious. She planned on saving her virginity until she was married. She was brutalized and raped, sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it, and is impregnated." In that case, well, the fetus is out of luck.

In the case of a religious virgin saving herself for marriage who is brutalized, raped, and sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it and not impregnated, the State may designate an uninvolved third party (perhaps a homeless person, orphan, or other burden on the State) to be executed in the would-be fetus's stead. It's only fair.

< SR-3/XOV Blackstar Shutdown | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Abortion is Murder | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
VS2FP by Idempotent (4.00 / 4) #1 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:36:03 AM EST
for taking religiously inspired politics to an even more illogical extreme than the legislators!

Oh, wait, that actually sounds a bit saner than their shiny new law.

How does she... by Rogerborg (4.00 / 10) #2 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:42:13 AM EST
If it's up the...

Does this chap even know how babies are made?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

9/11 changed everything pal by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 5) #3 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:47:46 AM EST
Best to get your head out of the sand.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Hilarious! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:06:31 AM EST

It's what I would say, had the subject of "abortion" not lulled me to sleep in the title, thus preventing me from reading the insightful parody contained therein. Fortunately, I woke up in time to post this inflammatory comment, though. Allahu ackbar.

I can't believe you started this again... by superdiva (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:12:57 AM EST
I mean, nothing was resolved last time abortion was discussed.  I take it you were in the mood for a 200+ comment diary...

_________________________________________________

For we are many....
Well, it trolled you into decloaking by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:39:53 AM EST
I think the MacGuffin here is the insight that it gives into STATE SEN. BILL NAPOLI (R)'s view of the world.  You can tell he's thought that scenario through.  A lot.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Dude, don't get me started... by superdiva (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:42:55 AM EST
...and I'm leaving now while the debate is still cold....

_________________________________________________

For we are many....
That's beautiful, man by webwench (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:23:46 AM EST
If we combine this with a general ability to acquire reliable birth control methods from various morally-conflicted pharmacy techs, we're gonna have another baby boom on our hands!

"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

And the military recruitment problem is fixed! by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:30:59 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Don't laugh too much by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:47:21 AM EST
One of the worries with China is that, due to their strong birth control laws, there's a shortage of marriageable women. Or, alternatively, an excess of single men. Traditionally, an excess of single men is dealt with by going to war and killing off some of the excess.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

luckily by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 01:50:07 PM EST
China hates Korea, Japan, and other neighbors a lot more than us. Of course, a local war in Asia wouldn't exactly spare us from economic impact...

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

We want a baby boom by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:22:48 AM EST
Haven't you read the papers?  The US population is only growing because of the influx of immigrants.  One of the scarey things to the masters is a decrease in population.  We need more workers, not less.  You can't guarantee an influx of immigrants, so you have to have babies.

---------------
Well, the other thing the masters like by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 07:36:22 AM EST
Is to be able to have more control over people's most intimate decisions and make them grateful to you for protecting them from other people's immorality. That way, you've got lots of power.

FWIW, my ethical code leaves about as much potential for abortion as my Y chromosome, but I find the legislative debate against it in the US abhorrent.

And what's with all these blue laws! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:24:37 AM EST
If it's a sin to buy booze on Sunday, it's surely a sin to buy it on Monday.

And kids these days, why are they so upset about this Kirk Cobaine guy? He's someone with mental problems who killed himself, he's not a fine upstanding citizen like Frank Sinatra. He played music that was loud and noisy, and probably never mowed his lawn enough. He needed a haircut, too.

ObAlanPartridge by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:34:54 AM EST
Ben:  Oh, anything, really, you know. Frank Sinatra, Kurt Cobain.
Alan:  Who’s he?
Ben:  Nirvana. Blew his head off with a gun?
Alan:  Why?
Ben:  He was depressed.
Alan:  Why, were they not very good?
Ben:  No, they were great.
Alan:  Oh. Someone should’ve told him!

Excellent by debacle (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:06:35 PM EST
No Text

The mafia did him in, didn't they? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 02:04:12 PM EST
I mean, if you get a horse's head on your hotel room pillow, then you know your suicide's about to be faked.

Still, I don't know how they got it past the reception desk in Potter's Bar Travelodge.

Am I confusing people here?

I truly believe abortion is wrong. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:01:07 PM EST
That said, outlawing it is dumb. It can't hope to accomplish what the anti-abortionists want (I refuse to call clinic-bombing, obstretician-assassinating groups "prolife").

If I were in charge, I would do everything I can to make the lives of rapists pure hell. Work on putting away rapists, work on preventing rape. Make it the one crime no one bothers to do anymore.

And then revisit in 20 years. I mean, that is the one big excuse, isn't it? It's the one exception the republicans that try to dodge the issue always spout off (along with its closely related cousin, "incest"... tell me, how many non-rape incests result in pregancy that the mother decides to terminate, for any given year in the US?!?!).

Hell, perhaps even mandatory birth control pills for girls over the age of 16 or whatever. That might work too. It's funny how the religious never seem to think up these simple, effective solutions, isn't it... after all, it's about saving the lives of the unborn!
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Birth control pills == chemical abortion by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:53:44 PM EST
Don't let that stop you healing the World's Pain.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Um, wtf? by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 01:06:42 PM EST
If used after contraception, then yes, there could be some argument that this is the case.

Me, I actually set the point (completely arbitrarily) at where the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall. Otherwise, every woman needs to start crying at her miscarriage when she's on her period.

So, technically, even the morning after pill has a good chance of not causing an abortion, as my understanding is that it often prevents that "attachment process" (don't know the technical term, sorry) from happening.

This is my "if one of the rifles is loaded with a blank, none of the soldiers need feel guilty about being in the firing squad" theory.

In contrast, I consider abortions even 2 or 3 weeks into pregancy wrong (also, many women get upset at this point when a miscarriage occurs).

Again though, if abortion is wrong, and we can't make it illegal (either from a political standpoint, or from a practical one), then let's eliminate as best we can all the things that lead to it.

If we can drop rape by 75% over it's 2005 levels, does it not make sense that we will see some decrease in abortions performed (or at the very least, show just how big of a bullshit excuse it is) ?

If we think that abortion is murder (me, some form of homicide not up there with premeditated murder of an adult), then would it not be practical to make sure teenage girls have contraceptives, and are using them? There's no evidence that it will increase promiscuity (how could teens possibly fuck more than they already are), but even if it did, is this not a lesser sin?
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Nooooooooo you don't by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 01:28:47 PM EST
Contraception prevents conception, the fertilisation of the egg.  Chemical abortion - of the normal development of the fertilised egg - is not contraception.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Conception needs to be redefined, sorry. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 02:07:04 PM EST
Ever since it became possible in a petri dish, things have gotten complicated. As far as I'm concerned, if it manages to attach, it not only becomes viable, but mama can't opt out anymore. Any chemical that plausibly kicks in before that is fair game.

It seems pretty reasonable to me, at least.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

Well, you take it up with Merriam-Webster by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:14:39 PM EST
And let me know how that turns out.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
No thanks. by NoMoreNicksLeft (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:51:08 PM EST
I'll just continue using it the way I want. The noun police aren't going to arrest me or anything.
Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Come the revolution. by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:56:48 AM EST
Sentence fragment.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Quit staring at my dangling participles. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 11:48:58 AM EST

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
How rude of you by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:58:38 AM EST
to move the argument to Ko5.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I don't have a Kos account. by NoMoreNicksLeft (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 11:37:51 AM EST

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
i try not to comment in my own diaries by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:14:00 AM EST
But I just have to say, I'm enjoying two non-religious pro-lifers debating when a microscopic baby gets its soul.

Not its soul by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:29:38 AM EST
Its first ID card.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Finding a politician with a view on abortion by debacle (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 12:12:58 PM EST
That is clear, without any inherent hypocracy, is a rare find. Either way, you usually wind up with a wacko on one side that declares masturbation is murder, or a wacko on the other that thinks birth control and abortion should be an opt-out program, and kids should learn about sex in preschool.

Umbilicalist. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 02:06:14 PM EST

i got something to say. by rmg (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 02:13:05 PM EST
i raped your mother today
and it doesn't matter much to me as long as she's spread!

i killed a baby today
and it doesn't matter much to me, as long as it's dead!

(because your mother was a very religious virgin saving her virginity until she was married -- and i brutalized, raped and sodomized her as bad as i possibly could.)

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.

The Law by duxup (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 03:03:13 PM EST
The law really isn't so much an attempt to ban abortion directly.  It’s just a tool for the anti-abortion folks to attempt new legal arguments in hopes of making it to the Supreme Court and revisit the entire issue of abortion.
____
I assume by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:32:00 AM EST
I assume that they'll also be an exemption if the girl is white and the man is black.  I can't see how this legistlator will get the full backing of the KKK with out this.

---------------
That's implicit, surely? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:47:45 AM EST
The only exemption is for religious virgins, and I think that we all know that soul sisters won't wear silver.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Abortion is Murder | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback