Print Story I take it back
By coryking (Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 08:32:15 AM EST) i, digg, your mom (all tags)
Digg is now slashdot in terms of comments.  The one level threading is a great idea, but digg's implementation SUCKS ASS.

Here is the typical digg discussion now:

<hidden "troll" comment, -10000>
  - <modded up reply to troll +100>
  - <modded up reply to troll +10>
  - <modded up reply to troll>
  - "Mod Parent Up!"
  - "+1 Comment Dugg!!!!"

Gee, that looks like a typical slashdot discussion.  Disjoint with hidden crap all over the place and full of meta-moderation "+1" comments.  arg...

Here is how I'd try my hand at implementation:

The Story

| Topic #2                        |
| message                         |
|                                 |
|   - reply 1                     |
|   - reply 2                     |
+---------------------------------+

Basically, the idea is the parent comment really isn't a comment, but a topic starter.  The replies are the actual discussion for that topic.  Note the border is around each topic, not each comment.  This is crucial because it visually suggests what the one level nesting is actually for.

I still maintain the one level nesting is an awesome idea, but digg's design fails to visually present the system.  Hopefully somebody will get it right.

< On the unbearable lightness of something | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I take it back | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm not really coherent enough... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 08:53:52 AM EST
right now to argue with you properly.

I'll just note that:

a) It rather depends on the kind of discussions you expect, but the flip side of that coin is that the chosen system selects against certain kinds of conversation.

b) I don't visit digg, but your ideas seem to sort of rely on people posting topic starters at the top level and people merely responding to that topic. Real conversations wander more interestingly than that, IMO.

Comment volume has a role too by cam (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 09:11:10 AM EST
If it is under five comments and three users then there isnt much confusion with a flat layout. Indented are good for many users and many conversations, but I can see why the super large and long conversations would not want to be indented as they are essentially page widening. I also think that it is a rare site that has that kind of user and comment numbers to require it.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

My guess is that digg... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 10:29:39 AM EST
certainly has the user numbers. Comment numbers I wouldn't know... It doesn't really seem designed to encourage commenting to me.

digg is hopeless by dr k (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 09:55:38 AM EST
A site that is supposed to be the next big thing, yet the architecture is weaker than community sites created five years ago.

:| :| :| :| :|

but it is web 2.0 by coryking (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 10:08:16 AM EST
thus new and hip because it uses AJAX & social something-or-other.

I think I've decided that digg is really the new fark.  The stories are the same and the comments are about the same.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

limitednestinglolwhatwelcometo1997 by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 09:57:05 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
coryking is anti-nesting. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 12:09:42 PM EST

or as they might say on seinfield by coryking (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 01:05:52 PM EST
I am an anti-nestite.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Eh by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 10:31:41 AM EST
Technical solution, social problem, etc etc etc.

Warmest regards,