Print Story MFC and whatnot
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:03:34 AM EST) MFC, Chicken, runch, COMBAT!!! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Nicer than the Gestapo...

• My weekend was pretty much spent watching the most best TV series ever made. Ever. Friends?? No. the Brady Bunch??? Wrong again. Indeed, I found a cache of the DVD's at the local library for the one, the only, Combat!!! Wooo!!! I was afraid that it might suck, cause I was 12 or so when I used to watch it as a kid, but no way Jose, it rocks! It's funny though, I never really noticed that nobody bleeds when they get shot, and I never noticed that when they get shot they tend to toss their rifle before spinning and falling to the ground (supper slow mo lets you see a lot) but still, it's a great show.

And lest you think it's just a bunch of GI-Joes plowing through France blowing up a bunch of Nazi's (which happens quite a bit mind you), well, they tend to work a French Hottie into many shows, usually some smokin hot (well, hot for the 60's anyways) woman who is part of the French underground and whatnot. Woo, dead Nazi's and Hot Womens!!

• I also watched Philadelphia (I didn't get much else done besides watching DVD's as it turns out) which was okay. I mean, Tom Hanks does a spleniferic job of playing the dieing aids guy, and Antonio Banderas does an okay job of playing his "partner" and whatnot, but, well, I just hate movies that preach at me. Sure, I know, silly me for renting a movie that I know is likely going to preach at me, so I'm willing to accept some of the blame here, but still, maybe try to make the preaching a little less obvious and whatnot. Oh, and that Bruce Springstreet guy droning on and on with that horrible song is tough to take too. I give it 8623/10000.
  • Right. Today is a chicken ~y~ Bloccori runch day here at the OK-Coral, along with a giant tub of wildcard egg lorr, but you should know that by now.
  • Boy, I made a big of batch of Tereyaki chicken -n- peanuts stir fry last night that was simply superb! Killer! Then again, you can slather up a dead goat dick with Tereyki sauce and it would taste pretty good.
  • I'm trying to upload, or load up, as the case may be, my MFC entry, but 256's site seems to be having some issues with my file, so until we get that sorted out you can find a copy of said entry right here. I decided to forgoe any vocals on it, as it would likely just ruin it, and I'm tired of futzing with it. I've discovered my keyboard is pretty noisy when plugged direct into my soundcard, so you get lots of pops and whatnot, but unless you listen with headphones on it's not that bad. I did put a little more effort into this one, in an effort not to suck and whatnot, and as a result I think the mix is better than my previous efforts although I think some better tools would serve be well at this point.

Anyways, it didn't turn out as I had planned, but rather just sort of evolved into whatever it is, which is to say a Tom Waits inspired instrumental that is supposed to tell the story of someone who has had a few too many drinks and stumbles home just as the day is breaking, or something like that. Update [2006-3-6 11:36:21 by Bob Abooey]: The file business has been sorted (it was a hippie browser issue) and my official entry is now at the official place.

• Okay then, off to a meeting!
< 9:47 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
MFC and whatnot | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Early entry today, Bob by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:12:08 AM EST
early bird gets the tequilla worm or something like that, right ?

Anyway, I thought Mr. T did a great jerb of playing the ambulance chaser lawyer dude in Philly, but the movie is pretty durn old.

Was an interesting letter/editorial in Sunday's WashPost about how is Hollywood avant garde or behind the times.. Talked about how 'ground breaking' hollywood stuff is really passe by the time it comes around. Phillidelphia was mentioned, since AIDS was old-hat in 93 when that movie finally came out. (Was generally poking fun at hollywood for all the pats-on-the-back for Bareback Mountain).

Hope you put plenty of veggies in your tereyaki stuff.. Peanuts just don't cut it.. Need to get your phytochemicals, fiber and what not, Bob..

And speaking of hot frenchies, hows iPG ? Back from yerp yet ? Or your 'date' for the earlier Christmas party, since OMM doesn't allow dates to be brought to your party..

Oh yeah by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:19:38 AM EST
re: I thought Denzel was very good in that role.

rere: Yeah, Hollywood isn't about taking chances as much as they are about cashing in.

rerere: Bro - what's stir fry without veggies??? I mean, really. I'll photo document it next time and post pictures. Maybe this week sometime, it was superbly yummy, the world needs to know about this.

rererere: Nothing new to report hence no reporting.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Every business/industry is about cashing in by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:25:54 AM EST
The question is, modulo capitalism, is Hollywood more about "taking chances" than, say, WalMart or the steel industry. I think the answer is probably yes.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Well by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:33:31 AM EST
I'm going for the angle that an indie film maker might put something out simply to make a political statement, whereas Hollywood is aiming more for selling tickets (unless you're a left wing nutjob like a Michael Moore) and while they may want to make a statement it's secondary, cause in the end it's (as you allude) a business and businesses are all about profits. QED.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Define your terms by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:37:24 AM EST
What, exactly, do you mean by "Hollywood"?

I'd agree that certain filmmakers do, indeed, take more chances than, say, USX. But if, by Hollywood, you mean Sony, Disney, & al, I'd disagree. I don't think they're about taking chances at all. My guess is they have a certain amount budgeted to support "risky" projects with the hope of a big payoff (a la "Crash"), and a much larger budget used to support "sure thing" sequels. (That so many of the sequels are lame and fail is another topic.)

Think about how hard it probably was to get backing for the first Matrix film. Then think about how hard it was to get backing for the other two. My guess is they probably had people lining up outside the door to throw money at M2 and M3. And while it may not have been "hard" to get money for M1 (I don't know if it was or wasn't) I bet it was much more difficult than the other two.

What are we on now, Friday the 13th part MMMXXIV? Harry Potter. Superman. Spider-Man, plus all the derivitives, &c &c &c.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

How much of their budget by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:43:53 AM EST
does Walmart risk on "art" vs pure profit? QED.

But Bob makes a good point that Hollywood is a lot more commercial than "indie" filmmakers. But then a Mom & Pop store is less "commercial" than Walmart, too.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Who said anything about "art" by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:52:57 AM EST
we were talking about "risk".

My guess is it's probably similar. The Walmart question would be "would this sell?" Which is, basically, the same question the H'wood mega companies are asking. I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with art.

There's a huge distinction that must be drawn between filmmakers and studios.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

maybe you just had a slow connection to the server by 256 (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:16:17 AM EST
(slowness could have been at either end)

was the problem that you clicked [RTFO] and nothing happened? because unfortunately there is no progress bar or anything for POST uploads (although i'm sure someone somewhere has hacked one together) and it can sometimes take a few minutes before the upload completes and you get redirected to the successful upload page.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

No, I'm getting an error by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:08:52 AM EST
Specifically this error:

ERROR: File not uploaded properly.

Make sure it's an ogg or mp3 and that it's 10 megs (10485760 bytes) or less.
Seriously.
If you think this is fucked, e-mail me.

For the record, this is what you tried to upload:

Filename: 'First Light.mp3'
MIME type: 'application/x-unknown'
File Size: '2512087' bytes

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Remove the space? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:37:58 AM EST
I did try that by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 07:07:41 AM EST
It turns out it was a browser thing, my browser (FireBirdPhoenixFox) didn't know it was an mp3.

Damn hippies are always trying to oppress me.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

As a young tyke, I had a Combat lunch box by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:24:00 AM EST
sadly, I know I watched this show many times as a young'un, but I don't remember watching it. I also watched the Rat Patrol many times, and I vaguely recall a few episodes.

My local library specializes in more high brow fare, or furrin fare, which is great if you like to see French hooters or something, but not so great if you want to see some good blow'em up action. Watch for an upcoming review of Godard's Breathless.

I never saw Rat Patrol by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:13:44 AM EST
One of the local stations here used to play two Hogans Hero's episodes followed by Combat so I was usually glued to the TV for a couple hours every night. Then I used to take my pellet rifle out back in the field and gun down Nazi groundhogs and squirrels and whatnot.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

The Rat Patrol was awesome! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:38:36 AM EST
Philadelphia by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:12:08 PM EST
Everytime my friends or I mention the city, it turns into a 20 minute back and forth of AIDS/t-cell/Robert Reed jokes, usually to the horror of anyone without a sense of humor that happens to be in earshot.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS