Print Story 9:47
By iGrrrl (Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:01:40 AM EST) (all tags)
Band practice

Quote of the day:  "The gentleman understands righteousness, the petty man understands interest."

I think I know who I'm dealing with, when.

Although every part of me was screaming, "I don't have time for this!" we had band practice last night.  We worked on two new songs that both had bridge problems, and solved them both.  One of them involved getting rid of the triplet rhythm scheme I was in love with.  It worked when we had it mid-tempo, but not at the faster pace with the cool finger-picked guitar thing that worked best for the rest of the song.  So, I threw out half the words in each line and gave it a bat-daba-bat emphasis.  Then we got rid of the sung repeat of the bridge at the end, and turned it into a guitar solo, then fade out on "If this is after, where is the glow?"  Much better.  It has a cool bass lick in it that really anchors the song, even though it only shows up twice.

The other problem was a song written based on a Sandman short.  The bridge on that one was straight from the pretentious section of the warehouse, and needed to die.  In another context, I'd had a set of lyrics running through my head:

Spread these broken wings, he said
I don't need those things, I said
Just kick me off the ledge and I will fall
or I will fly
I really needed them to hang on one chord for most of the last line, and it was a fight to get them to do it.  To satisfy his need for movement, our guitarist came up with this very cool arpeggiated thing that builds perfectly to where it needed to go.  I love this band.

My email contains so many unspoken things of late, that it's kind of a relief this morning to have someone come out and say something direct.  Of course, I'll be interested in the following fireworks...

9:57

< Moments 30 and 31 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
9:47 | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I love the quote. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:07:51 AM EST
It certainly sums up many of the players in $evil_project. And someone said something direct? I'm amazed and slightly impressed. I hope the fallout doesn't rain down too heavily on you.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood
not me by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:00:23 AM EST
I just get to watch.  You wouldn't be surprised as to the identity of the speaker, codename eos.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

*grins* by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:02:49 AM EST
This will be fun interesting to watch. And no, I'm not at all surprised. Rather pleased, in fact. It's about time.
Your band... by ana (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:20:36 AM EST
should do a Tom Waits cover. You'd blow us all out of the water.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

ah, deadlines by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:59:25 AM EST
The two are not convergent.  Plus, no guarantees.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

after deadline by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 08:44:58 AM EST
you oughta find a way to let us hear some of this stuff, somehow.

"Slick Loons Cow Stumbling Readers."toxicfur
need to play out! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 09:12:42 AM EST
But none of us have time to book.  Also, we'll be doing some more recording as the songs get finalized.  I have asked for a copy of our version of Shed, but he's not done tweaking it yet...

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

9:47 | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback