Print Story Baby, you gotta hold on.
Music
By 256 (Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 04:52:36 PM EST) mfc, music fun challenge, misslake, tom waits, hold on (all tags)
So last night i drank a bunch of vodka, neat. and today you get to reap the aural benefits1.

SMUT - hold on feat. misslake

update: fixed the link

it was a real treat to make music with misslake; she doesn't sing much anymore (it was a church thing) and i sometimes forget how nice her voice is.

anyway, i altered the lyrics a little bit from old Tom's version, partly to shorten the song and partly to fit it into the growing SMUT mythology2.

so, for those who can't penetrate my growl, here they are:

They hung a sign up in our town
"if you live it up, you won't live it down"
So, she left Kenora, son
Just like a bullet leaves a gun
With charcoal eyes and bloodstain lips
She went and took that number eleven trip
Well, the moon was gold, her Hair like wind
She said don't look back just Come on Jim

Hold on, Hold on
Baby, you gotta to hold on
Take my hand, I'm standing right here
You gotta hold on

Well, he gave her a dimestore watch
And a ring made from a spoon
Everyone is looking for someone to be
What works for you won't work for me
Yeah, go ahead and call the cops
You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops
She said baby, I still love you
Sometimes there's nothin left to do but

CHORUS

God bless your little crooked heart
Toronto got the best of me
I miss your broken-china voice
I wish you were still here with me
And there's nothing left to keep me here, but
It's not hard to dream of other worlds
When your old hometown is so far away
But, inside your head there's a record that's playing

CHORUS x3

1 actually, my singing voice pretty much always sounds like that.

2 there is a strong chance that SMUT may be expanding beyond the purview of music and into that of a complete constructed world.

< I'm a creep, I'ma wierdo. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Baby, you gotta hold on. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
This by ni (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 07:30:53 PM EST
is incredibly awesome. I may feed you whiskey until I get a live performance at the party in April. Stand warned!

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown
so there's a non-zero chance of you being there? by 256 (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 07:57:35 PM EST
rockin!
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I'd put it at 80%. by ni (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 08:17:11 PM EST
Higher still if I can find a way to work it into a more extended trip somewhere.

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown
f'ing brilliant by calla (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 08:32:21 PM EST
Had to put it on my iPod right away.

It's f'ing brilliant.

Thanks!

hurray by 256 (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 08:56:51 PM EST
i actually thought you would the toughest audience to please, it being, after all, a pretty straight forward cover.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Yep. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 02:46:08 AM EST
Raising the bar.  Damn fine job.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Huh? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 03:00:08 AM EST
The requested URL /mfcwaits/holdon.mp3 was not found on this server.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

indeed by 256 (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 04:29:55 AM EST
fixed the link
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
By the way: by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 03:28:41 AM EST
Your link is broke; edit it to point to http://256k.org/mfcwaits/files/mfc4-holdon.mp3
---------------------------------