Print Story Powerpuff Girls Cartoon Mashup Doujinshi
By 606 (Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 10:00:57 AM EST) doujinshi, powerpuff girls, MLP, anime, cartoons, fun loving cowqaas. (all tags)
An MLP for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Doujinshi is the when anime fans making their own comics (manga) using characters and situations from other anime. They're an obsessive artform made by obsessive fans who hone their technique drawing large-eyed Sailor Moon waifs. Most doujin sucks, sucks, sucks.

But not this one.

The artist is based in the Phillipines but his English is pretty damn good. His art style is anime-based but he's got plenty of his own style showing through (It begins pretty generic but gets better by chapter 3). The cool thing is that this doujin is based on American cartoon characters. It begins with the Powerpuff Girls but expands quickly and spans 7 series by chapter 4. Namely,

* Powerpuff Girls
 * Dexter's Lab
 * Samurai Jack
 * Courage the Cowardly Dog
 * My Life as a Teenage Robot
 * Invader Zim
 * Time Squad

It's reasonably to-cannon (except for Deedee) and the plot is pretty compelling. The art is fascinating-- seeing these highly-stylized American characters, originally influenced by anime in the first place, reimagined back into a more Japanese style is pretty neat. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's interesting nonetheless.

So there ya go. Enjoy. No spoilers past chapter 4, k? I'm still getting through it.

< #68 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Powerpuff Girls Cartoon Mashup Doujinshi | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well, page 1 made me physically nauseous by Rogerborg (4.00 / 5) #1 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 11:33:59 AM EST
White cotton pre-teen up-skirts without tails?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Nausea is not the only issue... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 01:45:33 PM EST
You may have been exposed to dangerous un-Christian imagery...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Oh come now by 606 (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:41:59 AM EST
There's only one actual upskirt in the whole thing... finding it is left as an exercise, etc.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Wow. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 11:43:19 AM EST
Really well done - but I doubt it would hold my interest that long.

Aw crap... by motty (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 11:43:40 AM EST
Do you have to?

I just read the entirety of 8-Bit Theater and have a headache.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Aw crap... by motty (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 01:49:06 PM EST
I can't believe I just all read that.

Aw crap.

Suggestions for taking the taste away please...

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Suddent stab-ity death? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 03:20:03 PM EST
maybe sword-chucks?

Did you make your saving throw against headache?

Sudden stabity death... by motty (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 04:38:15 PM EST
Doesn't seem so bad any more.

Don't ask me about the saving throw.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Oh by dn (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 06:31:03 PM EST
My.

I ♥
 TOXIC
WASTE

I remember that. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 04:25:10 AM EST

I think I read it about a year or so ago when I was checking out links on comic colorists. One thing led to another and the next thing I know I'm stuck in an hours long read of some fan-ficcy PP Girls/Dexter type comic action. It was a good read. But I find it isn't quite as good reading the first few pages a second time through.

Can't fault the artist for trying though. That's some pretty entertaining stuff for someone as hooked on CartoonCartoons as I was at the time I read it.