down in Jersey. If I get it (I'm putting my odds at 4/10) I'd probably live on the Jersey side of the Hudson and do the reverse commute as I do now. Bullet points:
- I got in very late on Friday, and while I had directions to get down there, I would have been screwed without Hertz's GPS system that they now put into all cars. It's pretty cool. Works well in most situations other than navigating complex freeway systems, for example where I took a bunch of wrong turns trying to get to Hoboken and ended up in this jebus forsaken wasteland a few times before getting there.
- The interview seemed to go ok, but for the second time in a row (same thing happened last summer at an interview), the dumbfuck interviewers just asked me about stuff on my resume rather than grilling me technically. How the fuck do you know if I can do the job if you don't know my technical competency level? Why aren't you giving me scenarios and asking me how to handle them? Fucking idiots.
- As far as the job itself - I'd get a good 25-30% raise and it would extract me from a lot of the typical issues I have to deal with at my current job that drive me insane (you know, the issues I am responsible for but neither created nor am in a position to fix). It's also digital telecom stuff which is what I was interested in coming out of school. Much has changed since then but it's still more interesting than what I do now. The tech is certainly cool - they are using TSMC processes down to 90nm on 300mm wafers, which is pretty close to cutting edge. Also 18 vacation days versus 10 (plus the official holidays like Thanksgiving). No contest.
- It's pretty easy to take the PATH train to NYC from Jersey City or Hoboken. I'd either live in the trendy looking Hoboken or in a concrete arcology in Jersey City. Either way would be fine. Both cities looked nicer than I expected. Like most Americans I had assumed New Jersey is New York's toilet and expected it to look like it. Certainly some of it does, though.
- The PATH train goes right into the WTC concrete crater, which was unexpected and a bit shocking. I knew the WTC was the destination, I just didn't realize it uh, went right into the hole. It looks like they're going to start on the new towers soon but of course I have no idea for sure.
- In unshocking news I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. I was in a fog all weekend. I really want winter to be over.
|< The waiting is enough to drive me mad. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >|