Print Story I was paid two grand a day just to test some pills
By nebbish (Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 02:51:42 AM EST) art, exhibitions, museums, films (all tags)
I won't go on about though, I don't want to seem big headed.

Sorry, it's getting a bit old that one.

Went to the Becks Futures opening at the ICA last night. I was very excited because I don't get invited to posh arty things often, but it was shit. I've got more time for conceptual art than most people, but with the artists variously stapling bits of computer printout to the walls, listing names of exhibitions, and showing a video of two men just sort of standing there, I wasn't impressed.

Example - one exhibit was a stack of copies of "Ulysses" by James Joyce. I found out later from speaking to someone that the artist had painstakingly created the books exactly the same as the original publication, but with the words inside arranged in alphabetical order. All very clever, but what's the point if you're not allowed to pick up the book and find out for yourself? In more normal circles that'd be considered woefully bad design.

Had fun talking to a few people. I was expecting a lot of difficult conversations about the nature of art, but amusingly most were along the lines of "This is crap" and "I could have done that". There was free beer as well, so I ended up having a lot of fun.

Films

V for Vendetta is excellent and I just can't see why it's getting such bad reviews. I think if you haven't read the book you'd find it simplistic and politically naive - because the book is - but it's a very faithful adaptation, give and take a few changes to bring it up to date. They've buggered up the ending but it's Hollywood, what do you expect?

Saw I, Robot. It's entertaining enough, good special effects, blah blah blah. What interests me though is the depiction US Robotics as an out of control multinational meddling in things they don't understand - did the company give them permission? Is it some wierd form of product placement?

Books

The Handmaid's Tale is stunning. Haven't read anything this good in a long time. I'll wait till I've finished it before I say any more.

Found that if I read poetry drunk and stoned it makes a hell of a lot more sense than it does when I'm straight. Been reading Philip Larkin whilst sat on the toilet smoking a spliff. Would he have approved? Can't really say I care, miserable old racialist.

< Life Rolls on | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I was paid two grand a day just to test some pills | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh yeah, I haven't heard anything about that by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 02:55:22 AM EST
since it happened. Did those guys die, or what?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
They're getting better by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 02:57:02 AM EST
Only one of them in a coma now, all expected to recover. I think. That's the last I heard anyway.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Aye, Robot by gpig (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 02:59:14 AM EST
I seem to remember that in the original Asimov the company was called "US Robots and Mechanical Men", presumably they changed it for the film. I had no idea that US Robotics still existed, the last piece of their kit I saw was around 1994.
(,   ,') -- eep
I had to google them by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 03:01:47 AM EST
I worked with the odd piece back in the day when I was a useless, unqualified cowboy contractor (didn't last long, but I made a mint).

Shouldn't have said that, you're all going to hate me now.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Don't worry by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 03:16:19 AM EST

We already did.

DFJ?
Why would we hate you by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 03:17:07 AM EST
Even my eight year old daught knows how to make butter mints.

Cicero, The Republic
What sort of contractor? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 03:41:37 AM EST
If you don't mind me asking?

Also, did you ensure your tax returns were correct?

All present and correct of course by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:14:36 AM EST
Applications support at first, for which I was spectacularly overpaid for doing practically nothing, then went into network admin with a mate who knew his stuff - me filling in the gaps when he couldn't make it, taking directions over the phone or whatever, but the rest of the time doing the plodding stuff like RIPE administration and putting together presentations. It's an exaggeration to say I was a cowboy, but I did get in over my neck on more than one occassion. Didn't really earn that much when I think about it either, but only a year before I'd been a hospital porter so it seemed like an awful lot.

Happy times to be honest, we had a right laugh. Until the company went tits up of course. I am soooo not a businessman.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Blimey! by Breaker (4.00 / 4) #12 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:19:41 AM EST
/waves m4d pr0ps to nebbish

Dunno why by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:21:49 AM EST
I didn't know what the fuck I was doing!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yeah by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #15 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:24:32 AM EST
But you had a go!

Because that's the American dream by lm (4.00 / 2) #16 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:28:14 AM EST
We all secretly year for the good old days back in the wild, wild west when men were men and didn't know what the fuck they were doing and bullshitting their way through on 100% pure gumption.

Cicero, The Republic
If it only it'd worked! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:36:09 AM EST
To be honest fucking it all up was a valuable life experience

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Hum by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 02:21:32 PM EST
Just think, you could have been me. I can't even hold my beer any more!

Poetry in the crapper. by calla (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 03:57:59 AM EST
You, sir, are a gentleman.

The V for Vendetta comic was very childish by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:07:34 AM EST
Imagine thinking that we'd anything as dramatic as a nukular war to turn us into a Total Information Awareness society.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Revolution! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:20:35 AM EST
Who the fuck cares what happens afterwards! That bit isn't cool! And anyway, as we can see from the USSR and China it's bound to turn out alright!

I'm being harsh, I like the book and its politics - but it does annoy me a little.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Nuclear wars mean by cam (4.00 / 2) #22 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 05:22:04 AM EST
USR stole the name from Asimov's books by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:16:34 AM EST
I was always pissed that they wasted such a great name on a company that made modems.

I was also annoyed that they played complete havoc with the basic concepts Asimov laid out - which is probably why they waited till he was safely dead to do it.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

Scary reading by Farmgirl (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:29:59 AM EST
The Handmaid's Tale is, I think, the only book I've ever read which gave me recurring nightmares.

I can't be bothered to change this sig.
The film by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:39:52 AM EST
Was quite well done, too.

Didn't even know there was one by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:43:39 AM EST
I'll check that out

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

It is bloody scary by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:43:03 AM EST
It's the totality of the oppression, and the claustrophobia and isolation.

I'd imagine it's much scarier if you're a woman.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!