Print Story Hi
What's new?

I have now moved in to the new den. I finally got the new desk together:

BTW: Anyone noticed that the User Files dropdown seems to have an odd sort order? It's partly alphabetical and partly not. Didn't it used to be sorted by date of upload?

I'm trying not to financially panic about all this. We're paying out of it from a credit line, and credit lines are always ARMS. The rate is rising. We need to refinance as soon as possible but we can't do that until we finish paying. We can't finish paying until it's done.

Unfortunately, the rains mean that we can't paint or pour the driveway and the time overruns mean the contractor went off to do other jobs he'd promised to do. (I'm not too worried about this as there's a big chunk of change he doesn't get until he finishes.)

Anyway, when I bought this desk I was a bit disappointed with the design. It's made for two machines (two CPUs[sic] it said in the design) but the cabinent the case goes into only has one little offset hole in the back making cabling hard and ventilation crappy. In the old den the doors were always open because otherwise the cabinet would rapidly hit temperatures of 130F or more.

So having a garage finally, I bought my first manly-man tool: a jigsaw. Then I cut real ventilation holes in the back of the thing. Each of the CPU[sic] cabinets now has a 8" by 20" hole. This, coupled with smart outlet placement means that I no longer have to pull the desk out as often when moving cables and the cabinets can be closed and still run at room temperature.

There were casualties in the move. One USB hub/card reader had it's connecter pulled out, making it trash. Worse, the other one now seems to randomly turn off and my network has unaccountably switched down to 10 mpbs.

The speakers are a new addition, and have a nice feature in that they take inputs from two machines at once, so now I can play Counterstrike while listening to Bach.

Work:

in typical fashion, I have just been given a promotion for one of the worst projects I've ever been on, and one of the biggest software disasters in my company. Go figure.

Seriously, my entire career, I do something awesome, and it goes utterly unnoticed and unregarded. Things go wrong, or I spit out some stupid little program that takes twenty minutes and I get a raise or promotion.

Sickness:

I must be a sick person because while reading the seriously sad story on the front page, the idea popped into my head to write a story about future predictions of husite deaths. Obviously not something that I should do. Hell, I probably shouldn't even mention it, but something like:

RogerBorg: decapitated by a historically accurate 12th century halberd
theantix: Choked to death on cheese
mns: Taken out by a SWAT team in a cabin in the mountains of Montana
Christopher Robin was Murdered: killed during the rampage of an insane coworker.
DesiredUsername: Blown up by an exploding kiln.
Millman: choked to death trying to get that third donut down.
StackyMcRacky/clock: Death by sex.

I'm sorry...I need to stop now. I'll probably just edit this out after the backlash.

< to market we go | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hi | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It looks like hulver's just upgraded. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 07:45:52 AM EST

Death predictions: by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 4) #2 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 07:55:59 AM EST
georgeha - run over by his own motorcycle

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
-Or- by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 07:59:30 AM EST
Killed in tragic bung accident.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Wipo: ObviousTroll by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 08:00:33 AM EST
Struck by lightning while clowning around in church.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

ucblockhead: Arrives .000001 seconds late to work, by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 08:03:38 AM EST
is fired, dies homeless on street

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Great moogly googly man by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 08:06:00 AM EST
I've just come down with a serious case of desk envy. Crikey, if I had a desk like that I would never leave the house.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Write In Death Prediction by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 5) #7 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 08:20:42 AM EST
Bob Abooey - Shot by police while attempting to climb out a window with a desk strapped to his back.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
nah... by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 11:45:48 AM EST
crushed to death by a desk after trying to pick the bugger up by himself...

-mh
[Mostly Harmless]

Work recognition by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 08:27:01 AM EST
Spent 16 months writing this application that was/is saving all branches of the military 1000's of man-hours of tedious, mistake laden work.  Result: Nothing

Spent 1/2 day interviewing candidates for our graduate intern programs. Result: Award at a 'Town Hall' meeting and a cash bonus.

That was the first and only time I can close to tears in my professional life.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Dude, by blixco (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 08:47:10 AM EST
we have got to be able to laugh at death.

We have to at least have the capacity.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

IRTA by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:13:38 AM EST
"laugh to death".

Which struck me as a bit of a worrying concept, really.

It can happen! by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:28:44 AM EST
Honest to god by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:40:06 AM EST
I once told a co-worker a joke and he laughed so hard he blacked out for 15-20 seconds.

He didn't believe me when I told him, either. If I hadn't had a witness we might not have convinced him to go to the doctor...

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

so what's the joke? /nt by Greener (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:59:11 AM EST

it is is potent a joke by cam (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 11:02:50 AM EST
he can only put one word of it in a diary at a time.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

It wasn't even a good joke.... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 12:20:07 PM EST
20 years later, I still remember it though:

"What do you get when you cross a hooker with a leprechaun?"

"A little fucker, about this big." (hold thumb and forefinger 2" or so apart....)

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

tom/thrusty by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 09:29:31 AM EST
crushed by a large woman during sex.

(Think I've got the right hulverite..)

sasquatchan-- by garlic (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 09:35:34 AM EST
crushed to death by his own peep army.

MUTINY!! by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 09:57:36 AM EST

Improbus by Improbus (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 09:40:41 AM EST
Crushed to death by a Hummer driven by a 16 year old girl talking on a cell phone.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
R Mutt, dies of exsanguination by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:11:16 AM EST
after being mauled by a lynx.

blixco by calla (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 10:13:36 AM EST
gone in a blaze o' glory.

dn by dn (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 06:56:47 PM EST
Burned up during aerobraking maneuver.

I ♥