Print Story eh, try again next time
Working life
By calla (Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:56:32 AM EST) Ask Husi, art, hippies (all tags)
Interview, art portfolio suggestions

Poll: hippies

Thanks to everyone for their help with my interview attire. I did a stylish business casual. It was a pocketbook decision. Stylish business casual was much cheaper than business formal.

The interview went well and I expect a call next week. Unfortunately I'll have to decline their offer. Probably intentially, but they didn't advertise the position's strange shifts. If I took the job I'd never see my kids or that crazy 'BUTTERSCOTCH' guy. Family wins.

I'm looking for a place to put my portfolio on-line. I have an account at deviantart.com - but the site is NSFW. Any suggestions?

My hippie brother and his wife are in town. I haven't seen him in a couple of years and would love to hang out with him. But he's a damn hippie! Chances of him actually getting 'round to visiting me - 50%. I can't take it personally - that damn hippie breaks my mother's heart 50% of the time he visits Salt Lake.

Update [2006-3-3 19:34:11 by calla]: 4:30 pm - call from hippie brother "can't make it tonight, maybe Monday." Yeah, right.

< This is a tag | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
eh, try again next time | 42 comments (42 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
God damn tree hugging hippie crap. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:19:31 PM EST

What is it with hippies anyway? I mean, you'd think as "in touch"masturbation as they are supposed to be with their "environment"sex organ they'd be able to figure out that when they say they'll "try"not really to make it to see someone, it hurts that persons feelings when they don't.

I say this because I have some hippie relatives too. I even had a cousin that was a dead-head. Literally. Followed the Dead around for something like three years late in their game. She even had the old VW Van to drive from town to town, selling beads and shitty home-made t-shirts. Man, talk about your bad hippie vibe. There was a period of time I couldn't even be in the same room with her the stench was so bad. Ick.

And people used to say metalheads were unreliable. Hell, even at the pinacle of my metalheadness, I never fucked people around like that. That's just not cool. Hippie, metalhead, moron, or junkie.

thankfully my hippie bro does not stink. by calla (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:49:22 PM EST
I think the rigid Mormon upbringing keeps him from going truly natural.

Ugh. A dead head in the family, sorry dude.

I didn't realize the irresponsible characteristic was uniform among hippies. In my dance class there's a lot of hippies - but I haven't hung out with them enough to see their irresponsible side.

I love mircobuses! but not when the hippies paint all that flower crap on them.

I kinda dug the hippie van. . . by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 3) #4 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:01:43 PM EST

Until it became the hippie van. And I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm all for smelling like pot, but I'd prefer not to bake in it just being a couple lanes over at a stop-light.

A hippie that doesn't stink? Is that possible?

microbus by calla (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:16:24 PM EST
calling the VW van a "microbus" creates some distance from the hippie/dippie mobile stigma.

My brother and his wife don't stink - semi/pseudo hippies?

Or even worse. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 2) #24 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:24:16 PM EST

Trend hippies. Trend goths at least have enough work-ethir to work at Hot Topic. Trend hippies don't even get that ambitious.

Hey, hey, hey, heyyyyyyy by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:46:35 PM EST
Whilest I only saw them 6 times, and am generally responsible, I do consider myself a deadhead. Do you  need 400+ hours of live Dead on cassette? Each show is subtly different in it's own acidified way.

You might have a hole in your head by calla (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:20:22 PM EST
that makes you think you like the dead,
but honey, you aren't a deadhead.

Deadheads lived for the shows, made jewelry, tie-dyed Ts, taped shows, and had dead-end jobs to support their habit.

semi-deadhead?

WHAT?! by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 3) #25 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:26:20 PM EST

I'm thinking you never knew any *REAL* real deadheads. Dead-end jobs? Bullshit. Real deadheads lived off mommy and daddy's money if possible, sponged off any other relative they could find if not. There ain't no such thing as a deadhead with a job.

And I'm with you. georgeha may like the dead, but he ain't no deadhead.

s/deadhead/musician by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #27 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:47:22 AM EST
let me know when you stop being a axe slinging poser and quit your job to become a real musician.

Exactly. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #34 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 05:42:21 AM EST

You're beginning to understand.

Uh. no, you're wrong by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #35 Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 06:56:26 AM EST
A deadhead is someone who likes the music of the Grateful Dead.

I know people who have seen hundreds of shows, who were on first name basis's with members of the band, who saw them in the 1960's, who have thousands of hours of their concert bootlegs, those people accept you as a fellow deadhead if you've seen them 6 times, twice, or never, all you have to do is like their music.

These people are authors, programmers, professors, investment bankers, photographers, teachers, engineers, doctors, lawyers; the career makes no difference.

If you want your own narrow definition based on a small, extreme sample, go right ahead, but you'll be considered wrong by people who know.

Similarly, I consider a musician someone who can play an instrument. I don't really see a need to restrict that.

Neither do I. by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #37 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 03:27:01 AM EST

But, when I'm being a sarcastic ass, I try not to limit myself.

There's a part of me laughing hysterically at the thought of an upstanding individual such as yourself being offended at being told they are not a deadhead. Just like there's a part of me that laughs hysterically every time someone thinks they are going to offend me when they tell me I'm not a real musician. The external definitions really amount to nothing to those on the inside. Meanwhile, on the outside, it's the extremist that becomes the definition.

And I seriously meant to offense by any of this and hope I didn't piss you off too bad. It's been a rough couple weeks here and I've probably been pushing too many buttons lately.

Please change "to" to "no" by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #40 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 06:05:05 AM EST

Damn weakend brain is not working so good today.

Meh, label me whatever you want by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #28 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:48:47 AM EST
but amongst deadheads I know what I am.

Hippies by The Fool (4.00 / 3) #2 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:42:25 PM EST
In college, I lived in the hippie dorm. It was groovy. I tried to grow my hair long, but all I got was the biggest afro seen on a white man since Cream broke up.

a 'fro? by calla (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:06:04 PM EST

I would have been happy to have hair like that by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:19:57 PM EST
Instead, it just kept getting bigger and curlier. It was rather frightening.

As bad as mine? by Greener (4.00 / 3) #10 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:33:40 PM EST

YOU ARE PETER FRAMPTON by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 03:43:15 PM EST
AND I CLAIM MY 5 SQUIDS.

That'll have to do by Greener (4.00 / 2) #16 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 03:55:17 PM EST
I was going for Diana Ross

I can see it. by calla (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:24:18 PM EST
just throw on a slinky dress and lipstick.

Honey dahlin', wanna go to Neighbours with me tonight?

OMG!!! by The Fool (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 04:58:47 PM EST
YUO R MY TWIN!!!!

Only I got sick of not being able to sit in a car without having my hair rub on the ceiling long before gravity was able to overcome excessive body and curliness.

I suggest flickr. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #6 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:09:15 PM EST

Set up a work-portfolio-professional-ey account, tag the hell out of it, and watch the work pour in! Well, OK, I don't know about that part of it, but it's got a nice, clean interface, and seems like it's pretty reliable. That, or host your own domain. Or domains. As the case may be.

as an aside. by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:21:32 PM EST
what is status of rate that date dot com?

Also I'll be getting my site up soon again, if ya wanna some space for your portfolio.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

r8thatd8 is dead. by calla (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:32:04 PM EST
It took a couple of months to kill it - which is exactly why I hate automatic billing. Linode wouldn't stop taking my money.

I'm tired of uploading my portfolio to employers - so a simple link to an on-line portfolio would be great.

Let me know when you get your site up. Thanks.

will do. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #32 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:41:53 PM EST
Sad to see r8thatd8.com go.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Hippy brother. by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:35:19 PM EST
I have one too!!!111

After getting his BFA from Mason Grosse (Rutgers U.), he dropped all of his student loans and credit cards, got rid of all his shit and started wandering the US.

He travels between NJ and NorCal, getting ideas from Cali and trying to start them up with the activist community in New Brunswick.  He got me hooked up with Food Not Bombs, but that group died about a year ago after the lead hippie chixor graduated.

It seems like the only time he talks to me is when he needs something, mainly monetary assistance.  He sure as shit ain't buying soap or shampoo though.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Hippie brothers by calla (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:31:35 PM EST
(I have to spell 'hippie' with the 'ie' instead of the 'y' 'cuz it looks more retarded.)

The hippies are good for tips on the environment, scoring good weed, and vegetarian cooking, but not much else.

Are our hippie brothers this generation's Eddie Haskell?

WIPO: clearly the superior species by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #13 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:52:37 PM EST
Measured in terms of results for effort, they are demonstrably better evolved for their environment.  The one comfort is that at least they can't completely replace us.  They have to keep us around, like cattle, in order to mooch off of our hard work.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You may be right, by calla (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:34:12 PM EST
but I'd rather think of them retarded wastes of space.

Oh, they are that, undeniably by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:32:16 PM EST
And yet they live.  Tie-died mosquitoes, is what they are.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
OMG HG Wells was right! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #36 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 12:00:17 AM EST
The only thing he didn't forsee was that the Morlocks would be toiling in offices instead of caves!

Excuse me while I go and have a paranoid breakdown.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

See, that wouldn't have happened... by ShadowNode (4.00 / 3) #14 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 03:17:23 PM EST
If you'd worn the santa suit.

Which part? by calla (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:35:47 PM EST
my brother becoming a hippie or the job having f-d up shifts?

both by ShadowNode (4.00 / 1) #33 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 09:22:54 PM EST
No one stands up Santa, and everyone knows he's busy nights.

cough by coryking (4.00 / 2) #29 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 09:51:31 AM EST
It's not a portfolio site, but you could always share.

Otherwise, flickr?  Sure it's for photography, but an image is an image..

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Your site looks less scary by calla (2.00 / 0) #30 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 12:47:19 PM EST
than deviantart.com. I'll try posting my work up later.

Thanks

thanks by coryking (4.00 / 1) #31 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 01:17:10 PM EST
it is getting less scary all the time :-)

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

how do you tell if a hippie has been in your house by misslake (4.00 / 1) #38 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:53:24 AM EST
he's still there.

i've never found hippies who aren't in my house a problem. it's the ones that find out where you live you have to watch out for.

That's cute. by calla (2.00 / 0) #41 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 07:20:50 AM EST
Keeping hippies out. That's really the crux of the situation. If I had time - I could create a sign "No hippies allowed".

"No hippie" rules don't apply when the hippie is your little brother who you haven't seen in a few years.

WIPO by TPD (4.00 / 1) #39 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:56:19 AM EST
you can't hit one without sneezing... (thows up too much dust)

No idea about online portfolio, but please post a link once it's up.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

"aaachooo" by calla (2.00 / 0) #42 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 07:38:02 AM EST
I've posted a lot of the pretty art I've done. Some of it in this diary, but you've seen all that.

The online portfolio is more design - like this:
Bresner Artists Brochure

generally nothing people outside of the industry care about.

eh, try again next time | 42 comments (42 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback