Print Story This is a tag
By ad hoc (Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:10:58 AM EST) intro paragraph (all tags)
This is a title

Regarding the closure of the bar next door. The paper came out yesterday, and I was correct in assuming they were evicted for non-payment of rent. Almost $40,000 in rent, in fact. So I called the licensing board to find out what happens now. That is, what happens to the liquor license and can they reopen without a hearing, can the license be transferred, &c &c &c. If they're closed for some unspecified period of time, they have to appear before the board for non-use of license. Apparently, if you have a license you have to use it or lose it since there are only a fixed number of them. Once that happens, they have to have another hearing in order to reopen. The license can be transferred without an abutter being notified. (That's not good.) It all seems very iffy. The only way to know for sure what's happening, is to get on the licensing board notification list for the entire ward! Jeepers! Do you know how big Ward 4 is? That includes the entire Prudential Center, Copley Place and the entire retail district of Back Bay. [PDF] (It's the #4 in bold white, the small numbers are precincts.) (I'm not sure but I think MillMan lives in 22, but it could be 21.)

It's supposed to warm up a bit this weekend. I'm hoping to get out for a really decent ride.

Next weekend is the Boston Bicycle Show. And while it's a bastard stepchild of the NYC Show, it's still worth going to. The thing is, Performance is having a really good sale, and I need some new bibs. Can I hold out without buying them for a whole week?

I'm glad the weekend is here.

The "storm" yesterday turned out to be nothing at all. Really. No flakes in the sky, no flakes on the ground. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

My desk chair has suddenly sprouted a hole in the left armrest. Right where I rest my arm.

Only tarists pay off their debts.

Have a swell weekend.

< Feed Me to the Lions | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
This is a tag | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
bondage desk chairs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:14:59 AM EST
or amusing typo, you make the call.

We were supposed to get 3-8 inches, but the winds shifted, so the towns south of us got hammered. We still have a typical Rochester winter, bitter cold and no snow.

What typo? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:34:01 AM EST
I'm not above a little revisionism.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
I am inconvenienced by those banking law changes by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:22:39 AM EST

Every month, I transfer my entire paycheck from an account in one state, to an account in another. Since the amount transferred seems to be above some (in my opinion, lowly-set) Mark of Interest, I am often told it may take a day or two to clear. Mind you, this is between an account at Bank of ${HyperPower} in Cullifornia, to another account at Bank of ${HyperPower} in Cakalakia. It is TEH ANNOYING. I suppose, though, I could just divide the transfer into two transfers, and stay below the limit, though marginally. Or I could make less money. That option: not so appealling. Also, I suppose I could just finally fucking fix the auto-deposit, so that it goes into the bank account I actually use, or just go back to using the old Cullifornia one. I can't remember why I even set the new one up, to be honest, but I'm sure there's a reason I would remember as soon as whatever inconvenience I had before reemerged if I were to close said account.

But I digress. What I meant to say is duct tape will fix anything. Even a hole in an armrest.

But... by The Fool (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:35:20 AM EST
will duct tape fix an annoying flaw in interstate banking practices?

yes by joh3n (4.00 / 4) #6 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:38:11 AM EST
when it is placed upon the mouths of management.

----

Third option by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:35:47 AM EST
give it to me.

In re armrest: let's see how the chewing gum works out first.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

banking laws have been screwy for a while by garlic (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:35:13 AM EST
banking rules are state rules, not federal rules. so megabanks that exist in multiple states aren't really all the same bank, they're only state wide and happen to have the same name and CEO as the bank in the state next door. At least this is the impression I've gotten from the fucks at NBD / bankone / chase. For 7 years I've been asking about being able to have accounts opened in different states associated on their online system. For 7 years, they've been saying it's right around the corner.

Ah yes... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:00:19 PM EST

"Right around the corner", indeed. Same spiel from Bank of Northern America, minus the Northern. Vacation-time discussions with a friend's Scandinavian wife just made me more depressed, upon hearing the awesome details of the electronic control Europeans get over their money. Transferring from bank to bank? Not a problem! WTF!111

At this point, I've stopped asking BoA when, exactly, this integration is going to happen. It's just retarded. The last time I asked, they told me they just completed NC and NY, but 1) I have no verification they've actually made this progress, and 2) I don't have an NY BoA account, so I don't much give a fuck about that. CALIFORNIA, BANKERS! INTEGRATE WITH CALIFORNIA AND TELL ME ABOUT IT THEN! UNTIL THEN, STFU N00BS!

Dude, say the word by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #11 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:52:10 PM EST
I'll open a NY BOA account, and you can transfer money into it. I'll even spend the first $400 on Apple products.

On-line banking by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 04:03:28 AM EST
I do all my banking on-line. Haven't been in a branch or even spoken to a proper banking person on the phone for a few years now. I can set up direct debits, standing orders or pay any of my bills directly to the utilities' accounts if required. Move money around between accounts at different banks, pay my taxes, check my balances and statements going back at least 3 years, pay off cards, apply for loans and even apply for new accounts. All without ever having to leave my parent's basement.

I write one cheque (check) each year. And, ironically, that is to my accountant who does not take credit cards or bank transfers.

I do that too, mostly by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 05:32:31 AM EST
But for the corporate accounts, I still do it the paper way. They charge a fortune for online stuff for corporate accounts.

But online and ATM is definitely the way to go.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?

I am clever, see by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Mar 06, 2006 at 07:45:45 AM EST
I have my corporate accounts managed by my co-director (another company), who consolidates all of its 'clients' accounts into one, thus saving mucho moollah.

But, yes I do still use cash machines when I venture out. My local pizza place doesn't accept CC for deliveries.

Right around the corner by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:46:45 PM EST
Like a peaceful stable secular Iraq?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I have been clobbered by Federal Regulation D by cam (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:32:09 PM EST
twice. The bank wanted to close down my account and transfer it to checking. I have finally relented as it fucks up me managing my money properly and got a checking account - without checks. But work wants a voided check so they know the account is real.

I am WTFed.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Bwa-ha, work is very naive by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:49:45 PM EST
You can buy Versacheck off the shelf, and print as many checks as you want. I think there's Open Sauce alternatives, too.

Can't you do what your leaders do by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:47:54 PM EST
And move all your accounts to Switzerland?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I haven't figured out how yet. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:32:56 AM EST
Apparently the "easy to do" threshold is above my current holdings.
Would you rather battle Klingons or trolls?
I think it helps by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 07:03:27 AM EST
If your ancestors made some local contacts for you.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
This is a tag | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback