Print Story A strange sight at the gaming store
Wizards and Hobbits
By georgeha (Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:36:05 AM EST) Gollywhompers, spoiled children, Pirates, Lent, Robin (all tags)
Plus, stress level red but dropping, spoiled kids and busy Saturday morning, if the Bishop can do it so can I, my Robinisms, xth update, and less.

Poll: What are you giving up for Lent?

Gollywhompers, will it ever get warm again? It's March by Jiminy, and it's still below freezing. My hands and face are raw and chapped from the cold dry air, I haven't felt warm through and through in months, I just want this heinous winter to be over.

I think I passed a stress level rubicon yesterday, at some point my nerves just get so burnt out from overload I stop caring. I'm in the stop caring mode right now. Just one example, my therapy appointment is at a time when I can usualy make it on time, but since it's preceded by a conference call I run, I may not. Yesterday the call ran long, and while I was running to my car to make the 10 mile trip in 2 minutes my cell phone would not connect. I had to pull over, use my work phone after figuring out my therapists number from my cell to call and say I was late, all while screaming like a maniac. I got there late, and had a shortened session on a day I sorely needed a full session. Today, who cares, I'll be dead in 50 years and $product will be end of lifed in 20. TGIF.

Plus, we're out of beer at home, I had to have takeout Chinese with wine last night, when will the injustice end!

Yesterday afternoon I left work to get my hair cut. Of course I got two calls on the way to the appointment, flagrantly violating local laws to talk on the phone. My barber's is right across from the Y, and in one of those Rochester is far too small moments the preceding patron was a gent I used to work with. So, I got my #3 fade, then went to the Y to sign the kids up for swimming. Sadly, the Thursday night class was full, since signups started two weeks ago and I was too busy being sick to get there, which made four year get sad when I told her, and she went off on a 20 minute crying jag. But that was in the future.

Next, I decided to treat myself to two more Pirates packs, rationalizing this since my therapist said I needed to do something for myself. I bought a Barbary Coast and South China sea pack (chock full of galleys!), and ran into a strange sight at the gaming store. Most likely the person who checked me out was a slight pale skinned gothish boy with a bun and earrings in both ears, but there is a slight chance it was a woman. Whoa, will wonders never cease.

Finally I got home to the spoiled kids. Four year old had a long crying jag because I could not get her into the Thursday night class. Next, my dad, suffering from some sort of upper respiratory infection, drove in with a recent ebay win, a gray market Tamagotchi 3 he bought at nine year old's insistence. Nine year old acted the spoiled shit because it was different than her friend's Tamagotchi 3. I have no idea how she'll make amends.

We now have a busy Saturday morning, four year old swim's at 9:30, nine year old at noon. It would be even busier, but Mrs. Ha is taking a leave of absence from her job, which includes the Saturday morning dance class.

Like I said, we had take out Chinese for dinner last night. Today's lunch is leftover Chinese, including pork and chicken. As a lapsed Catholic, I am amused by this, but more amused by the Bishop's dispensation for March 17th. Sure, you have to remind yourself of Christ's suffering in Lent, but not if it will interfere with heavy drinking and eating corned beef.

I have realized I channel Robin during the day, mostly due to Microsoft. For instance, yesterday I was getting ready to send out an important email, but started getting the feeling that the Exchange server was going to puke. So, loud enough for people in the nearby cubes to hear, I shouted:

No, no don't go down on me

I imagine that's rarely heard. Of course, when I click the wrong thing in Outload and my mailbox decides to resort itself based on date or something, you hear me say

Stop stop stop

xth update:

My jaw seems a tad worse, the mooshu and spring rolls were a bit much for me. I blame stress level red.

My internist and podiatrist are discussing if I have rheumatoid arthritis, or overlap syndrome due to ankylosing spondylitis. I'm still being treated symptomatically.

My cough is there, but lessening.

So yeah, it's Lent. In the past I was encouraged to give something dear up, but I haven't in years, though it does make a good conversation starter. Right now it's mostly traditions to me, fish fries (I think I'll get fish, taters and beer on the way home),  and spring is approaching. Maybe I'll just give up trolling. What are you giving up?

< There's three fundamental elements to a hit record | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A strange sight at the gaming store | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: Giving things up for Lent (nt) by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:40:36 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
WIPO: Catholicism by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:57:32 AM EST

I gave it up years ago, and am a better man for it!

Servers that use teeth are the worst!

I have decided to give up impatience. by toxicfur (4.00 / 3) #3 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:01:43 AM EST
No, this isn't a joke. I spend far too much time wound up because something is getting in my way and I can't accomplish whateveritis right. fucking. now. So I'm going to practice letting go, and just staying in the moment. It's a half-assed, catholic twist on Buddhism. Or something.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood
Give up some of that for me too by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:09:18 AM EST
I don't have time to do it myself and I want to be patient RIGHT. NOW.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
WIPO: Whining about borked body parts. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:15:53 AM EST
After making contact with several old college buddies recently and discovering problems ranging from schizophrenia to liver-transplant-time to the big C, nails through my hands achy joints just don't sound all that bad.

Yeah, for all my complaining by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:48:56 AM EST
my feet barely bother me when I'm sitting or laying down, that's something.

WHAT?! by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:44:19 AM EST

You make things that'll be around for twenty years?! I'm lucky if I get two out of the things I do during the days.

Re: "Don't go down on me." Last weekend when we were building the new wall in the bedroom I was working on building part of the frame when the nail bent down hard. So, to anyone outside our bedroom they would have just heard, *BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*"SUCK" then silence. I took a moment or two to stop cursing the nail and laugh at myself for what the neighbors must think.

We all have a little Robin inside of us. Most of us just don't admit it in public.

I recently discovered by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:57:55 AM EST
that a DOS (remember dos?) program I wrote in 95, which runs on a 486, is still in use.

So is the 486, and so are all the devices plugged into the ISA bus.

Frightening, isn't it?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Holy crap. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:55:23 AM EST

I mean, sure, I've got a Pentium at home running a version of Debian from 1997 and a couple of little shell-scripts running some fancy-dancy calculations at home, but DOS? FREAKING DOS? On an ISA BUS COMPUTER?

That's just mind-boggling stuff right there.

lol by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:48:01 AM EST
we got guys here designing software changes that have to work on 286s.

i'm not kidding.

Damn. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:59:38 AM EST

How do I get that job? Seriously, I'm thinking that'd be a little on the simpler side than some of the shit I have to deal with on a daily basis. ("How can we make app X on the iSeries talk to app Y on the Linux server talk to app Z on the Windows desktop?")

I believe it. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:10:53 PM EST
especially because some of the people here deal with the Z80.

Until my dad died in 98 by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 09:13:13 AM EST
My mom was tracking his gas taxes with a BASIC program I'd written for a C= 128 in 1987.

I was terrified the monitor would die. Composite monitors were not easy to come by, by 1998.

Composite monitors by skippy (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:12:45 PM EST
Do you need one?  I think I have a working 1084 monitor around somewhere at my parents' place, taking up space.  It's one of those "it seems so wrong to just get rid of it" things that I'm sure I would have a use for one of these years, if only I had time to finish off my homebuilt Z80/C64/NES hybrid.  But that seems pretty unlikely now.

No, not any more. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 04:22:42 PM EST
After dad died mom stuffed the 128 in the closet; I don't think it's plugged in since then.

lifespans by garlic (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:50:04 AM EST
ALQ-162 and ALQ-135 have had some pretty long lifespans, although they've certainly had some upgrades as well.

The $product that got me hired by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:04:27 AM EST
launched in 1990, and in some ways is still unsurpassed, some of which is due to running on a completely homegrown computer and operating system, close to a mini, with backplane, custom boards and everything that was optimized for our special needs. Back in 1996 it still outclassed a Sparc 20, for our special needs. I expect we still have a few out there, and it may still be running in the 2010s.

My $corp does have an end of life problem, I think only a handful of products have successfully been EOL'ed. Just last year I got a call on a peripheral for the above $product, someone was still using a 2 gig SCO based 486 server.

But, we make capital intensive things. How old are the big tools in your factory?

We've only existed for six years. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:57:27 AM EST

I think the oldest big tool in our factory is probably around the four year mark right now, as we went through upgrade-itis during our second year.

But I'm trying to imagine working with a computer based product that could stick around for more than a couple years and just not able to wrap my head around it. That would be awesome.

We still support big printers driven by by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 09:07:17 AM EST
Sparc Ultra II's. They're about ten years old. It kind of sucks, as it makes us unable to distribute sw on DVD, we still have to burn a handful of CDs for each upgrade kit.

That is cool. by Awakened Dreamer (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 09:10:17 AM EST

Any time we look for software updates even on our saws out in the plant we get told you either have the latest rev hardware, or we sending you a new computer to drive the saw. (At our cost of course.) Nobody with any computer involvement wants to or is willing to support old stuff around these parts. And we're talking about the most non-IT related industry you can have that still uses IT.

Woodworkers are a bunch of technophobes. You should see how the freak when they get told their saw computer is getting replaced.

We were technically founded in 1906 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 09:44:25 AM EST
though there's no mention of a Centennial, and most people consider our start from when we moved from making photographic paper to the melting plastic on paper business.

I hate that by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:07:45 AM EST
I go to click on an email message and aim a little high, thus hitting the date or subject tab which makes Lookout sort all 833,234 itemii in my inbox!!! That one drives me up the wall.

I've got to tell you, Mr. Ha, everytime I think it might be kinda fun to get hitched and make a few babies I think about your diary. Wooo!! Thanks for keeping me out of trouble.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

And just a little mouse action and you delete by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:32:11 AM EST
a field, how often does that happen? Gahh, I really, really like the from field, why is it so easy to delete!

and I really like my find option, I can't tell you how many times i've lost that.

The kid thing is frustrating, but rewarding, you really can't explain it, you have to live it.

i am not usually a robin-like curser (or sursor) by 256 (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 03:27:39 PM EST
though i do find myself occasionally doing really creepy things like subvocally repeating conversations i have had recently or mumbling the names of girls i've slept with.

particularly however i have noticed that, while couriering, i have acquired the habit of cursing loudly and vocally at my radio phone when my dispatcher pisses me off. Saying out loud things like: "Back to Carlton, NOW, you fucking asshat?"

ah well.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni