Pointed Sticks.

Studying the many ways that I can solve a particular problem, I was struck low by the details that emerged surrounding the problem itself, and how it'd been solved twice before, but the solutions were ignored.  Worse than ignored, they were initially demanded, then were ignored.  We need an answer, and many were offered, but none were taken.  Now the problem is a smoking crater, and the solutions are much more severe.  And we can only laugh and say "we told you so" but that gets old when we're the ones who have to fill in the crater, make it all golfcourse pretty again.  A life lesson: there is no joy in pointing out flaws when those flaws only affect you.

Suffering Haley.

I have a friend who had a girlfriend whose name is Haley.  Was Haley.  Her name is still Haley, and she herself is not past-tense, but she is now an unknown ex, a ghost to my friend.  She she was a girl called Haley for the purpose of his life.  He was young at the time, and wild.  She was older, but just so much more wild.  If someone had seen the Ramones at CBGB in 1979, she had blown the stage manager and snorted coke off of Joey's thighs a year before.  If someone had been skydiving, she'd actually base jumped from  twelve story tower and fallen to her death, was resurrected by angels and delivered, fully clothed in heavenly robes, to the door of Donald Trump.  She's not a one-up queen, she's a one-way-up queen.  She's named for a comet.  The first time I met her, she showed me her pierced nipples and her  lacey black undies.  She headbutted me once at a concert.  When the breakup, inevitable, happened, she stalked my friend and his friends for about two months, then crashed her car into his house and walked away.  No-one has heard from her since.  The universe swallows people like that at times to balance things back out.

My Shoes.

I purchased shoes form zappos.com.  I showed them to my office mate, a skinheaded rugby-playing tattooed genius called Gabe.  He approves.
I can't begin to tell you how strange all of that paragraph is.  I can tell you that my shoe requirements border on fetish, and my current choice of footwear is elitist and trendy, which raises much self loathing.

The Back.

While doing press ups the other night, working on my McKenzie exercises, doing some basic pilates stuff, my dogs both joined me: I'd press up into cobra (or sphinx) position, they'd both do a down dog pose.  When I laid on my back and did the hundreds, they both lay on their backs and waved their paws in the air like they just. didn't. care.

The Car.

Racing to work, I was passed on the shoulder by a cop going at least 100 miles an hour.  He had his lights on but no sirens.  He startled the Dodge Monster Hemi Truck in front of me so badly that the Dodge Monster Hemi Truck jumped into the middle lane, nearly killing a Corolla with a type C secretary at the wheel.  I used the gap to my advantage and lept ahead of the fray at roughly 92 miles an hour.  The cop was smoking a cigarette furiously, one hand on the wheel, the other lazily flicking ashes at my windshield.  He didn't notice me until I dropped behind him for my exit.  He waved me past and slowed, shaking his head as though I'd waken him up.  I waved at him as I slowed for my turn.  He drove into the FBI parking lot, across the street from me.

Four Score and A Million Bees.

It is roughly summertime outside.  My head is spinning with springtime compressed, a million bees buzzing my brain.  Girls these days make it too easy to get distracted.  I go through my day blinders attached, fully ready to jump from windows if confronted with any more cleavage.  I am not prepared for this.  My blood is too thick for this place.

The last thing on the list:

I am selling my digital drum kit, a Yamaha DTXpress, if anyone is interested.

< Operation Gut Reduction | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The many, many things. | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Shoes. by calla (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:31:38 AM EST
Nothing makes me feel more girly (and I mean that in a negative way) than shoe shopping. Had to get shoes for my interview this week. My shoes are on zappos.com also. Maybe we wear the same shoes?

Maybe? by blixco (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:23:26 AM EST
Mine are Projekt4, these and these.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
nice shoes by sasquatchan (4.00 / 3) #12 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:34:06 AM EST
IF YOU'RE A NINJA!!!!

AND I AM! by blixco (4.00 / 2) #15 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:53:19 AM EST
It explains why I often FLIP OUT.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
ooh by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 04:20:38 PM EST
ninja, with a bad back. (does the creaking make you less stealthy?)
Send me to Austria!
They are nice. by calla (4.00 / 2) #18 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:19:35 AM EST
Clean and simple. And on SALE!!!

zappos has only summery Bongo shoes now. Here's mine:
Bongo

I didn't know that by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #23 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:18:40 PM EST
Michelin made shoes.

Just call me wreckin' ball by calla (4.00 / 2) #24 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:26:54 PM EST
'cuz I'm the baddest of them all.

Serious question by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:34:22 PM EST
Why are you buying shoes with laces?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Serious answer: by blixco (4.00 / 1) #32 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:54:14 AM EST
I can't find any decent shoes that don't have laces.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Good God by Improbus (4.00 / 3) #2 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:40:02 AM EST
I have worn the same shoe style for years ... ankle high steel-toed work boots.  I do have other shoes for special occasions but I do love my boots.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
I have by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:24:41 AM EST
always had a pair of Redwing steel-toe workboots somewhere nearby.  I wear them anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week.  They are comfy as heck, tough as nails, and last at least 3 years.  I've never been unhappy with Redwings.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Cleavage, yeah, I think I remember that by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #3 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:40:36 AM EST
If you remove enough layers of nylon, wool, fleece, and Goretex it appears, right?

Shoes. by toxicfur (4.00 / 3) #4 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 06:47:31 AM EST
The one true shoe brand is Dr. Martens. I wear my Doc boots in the winter and the shoes in the spring and fall.

The summer is, of course, for Birks, the one true sandal. What else could you need?

I say this, of course, with a laundry basket full of shoes that I've collected and, ultimately, rejected. Being a black belt packrat, though, I just can't seem to get rid of the combat boots that give me blisters, or the sneakers I bought in college, or the girly flats I bought when I needed to do the job interview thing. I should haul the whole mess of them to the Salvation Army.
damn it, lif eis actually really *far4 too good at tghe momnent, shboyukbnt;t whilen. --Dr Thrustgood

Docs are no longer Docs. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:26:31 AM EST
Sometime in the early 90's I purchased a pair of Docs.  The tread seperated from the boot after 6 months of wearing.

Since then, the only boots I buy are Redwing.  Sure they're pricey (my last pair cost $235) but they last years (my last pair, I bpught 3 years ago and they still look brand new).

I don't wear sandals.  Yikes.  I have the ugliest feet this side of a hobbit.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I used to love docs by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:08:06 AM EST
But they stopped fitting me last year. I bought a pair online in the same size I've been wearing for 10 years and I was crying in pain at the end of the day.

I finally settled on a pair of Timberland boots from Walmart for my work boots and a pair of Timberland dress boots from Nordstrom for my nice boots(I'm wearing them right now) and couldn't be happier.

I'm really disappointed in the doc martens.

Your ex sounds HAWT!!!! by atreides (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:04:56 AM EST
Got her phone number? I mean, that's OK with you, right?

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Wasn't my ex, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:29:24 AM EST
and she's totally disappeared.  Gone from the universe.  She Has No Number.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Maybe she wasn't... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:36:40 AM EST
...but she should have been. And who are we to let facts get in the way of a good story?

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

ZAPPOS WEIRDO! ZAPPOS WEIRDO! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:07:37 AM EST

I have a friend with fetishistic shoe tendancies, who wears a size 14. He pretty much has to get his shoes from Zappos, and tries pretty hard to persuade everyone else to do so, too.

I once knew a Haley, and when I say "knew", I mean that in the Biblical sense. Within minutes of meeting her, she described her name as "Haley, same as the comet, except I come more than once every 76 years."

She did, too, and put in a lot of effort to make sure I did, as well. Good girl, that Haley. Crazy, but good. And by "good girl", of course, I mean "had gigantic, sturdy thingies."

That may have been by blixco (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:30:02 AM EST
the same chick.  Was she a skinhead with pink bangs?
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Sadly, she was not by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #14 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 07:51:32 AM EST

At least not that I remember. Funny how memory fails me, and time reveals only images of her sturdy, ample thingies. I'm not sure she even had a head, to be honest.

Haley by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #17 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 08:09:11 AM EST
I think I know the lady. She got rid of the piercings, bought a nice pantsuit and sensible shoes, and got a job as a tester at $OtherBigDefenseCorp.

Then she married a sensible accountant and they settled down in a sensible house in a sensible neighborhood. The kids think Mom is boring, and never did anything of note. But someday, yes, someday, those pictures will turn up. Then the kids will realize that, once upon a time, Mom was wilder than they could ever imagine being.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fridays, they are for by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #19 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:37:18 AM EST
Fuck! I love every word, every beat of this diary, from the tags on down. I have nothing useful to say about shoes, comets, or pain, just this: Goddamn. Don't you ever stop. Ever.

"Slick Loons Cow Stumbling Readers."toxicfur
Well, damn. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 11:21:53 AM EST
Thanks!  I've been avidly reading your train diaries, but have been useless so far as commenting is concerned.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
thanks by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #27 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 03:08:26 PM EST
Diaries are one of the few services we provide at Kellnerin-on-a-train, Inc. We thank you for your continued support.

One of these days, I'll get around to writing something else, but my brain's all a tangle.

"Slick Loons Cow Stumbling Readers."toxicfur

dotcom stories by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:53:18 AM EST
Zappos had a storefront for a while. I know this, because when I worked for a dotcom, we had to walk through Zappos to get to our offices.

Once, while working there, I ordered shoes from Zappos. They were sent UPS, and then arrived where all our mail was placed: at Zappos' front door.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

That is hilarious. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #33 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 04:55:44 AM EST
And typical.  But damned hilarious.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
the drum kit by skippy (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 12:16:42 PM EST
I'm interested, but all I have available to use as currency is old 8-bit computers, some random PC bits and pieces, and some string.  Sadly, I don't imagine that such things are accepted as currency in Blixcounty.

Or anywhere, for that matter.

zappos! by 606 (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 01:43:23 PM EST
Hot damn they have a lot of shoes, and most in my size (size 13.. oh yeah!) That is sweet!

I would love to have that drum kit, but I think shipping from the deep south to Canuckistan might kill me. How much you want for it, and what's the approximate weight/size of the boxes and such?

-----
imagine dancing banana here

As it happens, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #30 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 04:35:14 PM EST
I have found a local buyer for $400.

I purchased it for 600, so that's not too bad a loss.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

good deal by 606 (4.00 / 1) #35 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 02:04:18 PM EST
What I really want is a real drum set. Not allowed with these paper-thin walls, though.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
I never meet those types of women. by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #26 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 02:08:20 PM EST
but I hope to some day

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Zoom. Zip. by grendel (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 04:05:40 PM EST
I fear your shoes. You know me though. I wear Red Wings. I've had other boots and shoes and frankly they hurt. I have a pair of brown ten eyelet steel caps that I've been wearing since June. My only complaint is they used a gum sort of sole so I've walked away much of the tread in 8 months, but I can have them resoled with proper lugs. If a nameless cat hadn't decided my old oxblood redwings were a fantastic thing to scratch I would have gotten 6 years (three times resoled)out of them.

I want to play with your car. I've realized I do not need obscene high speeds. I need decent top end and acceleration like a monster. It was cool and all that my Galaxie could go 130 MPH, but it took a while, and was utterly unruly.

You call it Summer. I'm having twinges of Spring around here. It makes me restless. It'll soon be squashed by three foot of snow. It is March after all.

I've nothing else to say about the girl, except I think it may have been early 98.

I'm debating taking a yoga class. I dunno if I can deal with the scene though.

Flaming rubble can be its own reward.

I would probably hurt myself with an electric drum kit thing.

whoa! by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #34 Sat Mar 04, 2006 at 11:44:49 AM EST
zappos has man purses! I am sold!

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

The many, many things. | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback