Print Story Late night, early morning low clouds
By ad hoc (Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:30:35 AM EST) mlp, puppies, planning, ads, film, no bikes (all tags)
Photo!

A HuSi tale?

"Special Stunt Speedo"

Puppies!

I just like this idea

Today was a trip to the v-e-t for yearly shots. $130 later and he's pronounced very healthy. A slight fogging of the eyes due to age, but no sign of cataracts. A few old dog fat lumps, but nothing bug, unsightly or nuisance making. But he does not like the v-e-t and was continually trying to leap off the exam table.

Parental 50th Anniversay status: ongoing. I think the B&B, with a dinner on anniversary night, and limos to and from both airports is probably a doable thing. Beyond that, they'd be on their own. Rough estimates peg that at around $3500 which I can probably split with my brother, so that's within the realm of possibility. Now on to planning... Things to figure out: how to pay for certain things from here. Possible solution. Paying for the B&B is easy, as is the limo, both of which can be done over the phone at reservation time, but the dinner and a few other things might be troublesome. A chauffered limo for dinner that night might be a nice idea as well.

You would not believe the ad I got in the mail yesterday. It came in a separate deliver since it wouldn't fit in my mailbox. It cost $1.65 in postage. It's a 9½ × 7 inch box from Mercedez Benz USA, LLC. Inside a grey overwrapping is a black velvet covered box with "A Great Leader Always Makes A Lastiung Impression." along with the MB logo written in silver on the top. Inside, on the top, is an 8&frac12 × 5½ inch onionskin paper with "Introducing The 9th Generation S-Class." printed in bold, black latters. Under than is four very heavy cardstock photos of, what I assume, is the 9th generation S-class Mercedes each with a different quote: "Imagination Rules The World -- Napoleon Bonapart", "Patience And Perseverance Have A Magical Effect -- John Quincy Adams", "Give Us The Luxuries Of Life And We'll Dispense With The Necessities. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes" and "What Is Genius - But The Power Of Expressing A New Individuality -- Elizabeth Barrett Browning". The back of each card has two more photos and a small description of a performance or luxury characteristic of the car. Under that is a small, grey invitation syaing "You're Invited" to experience the new 2007 S-Class, the foremost luxury sedan in the world.

What the hell mailing list did I get on?!?!?!

The Eyes of Tammy Faye
[Netflix] [IMDb]

A documentary of the rise and fall of the careers of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker as told through the eyes of Tammy Faye. Tammy Faye comes across as a sympathetic character with truely boundless optimism and a relentless innocent drive. Whether that's true or not, who can really say, but it is true she's been through the wringer more than once. Building not one, but three sizeable television networks only to have them yanked away by, in order, firstly Pat Robertson, then Paul and Jan Crouch, and lastly Jerry Falwell. Falwell, especially, is portrayed as the snake we all know he is. His orchestrated takeover of PTL was stunning in its audacity.

RuPaul does a creditable job in narration, but the sock puppet introduction of the chapters doesn't work. Told through interviews (Robertson, Crouch refused to participate, a Falwell didn't even bother to respond), archival footage and fly-on-the-wall live footage, the viewer really has a lot of sympathy for Tammy Faye by the end of the film. She certainly doesn't live in the real world, claiming, as she does, that she's "lost everything" but lives in a gated community in Palm Springs and doesn't work for a living. Nevertheless, she never gives up and is always out trying to do something. Her pitch for a new tv show to Steven Chao, head of network programming for (was it NBC?) was squirm inducing. Chao was nearly in a fetal position by the end.

It's hard to know how much of this to believe, but I have no doubt that Tammy Faye believes this is the way things went. We see Jim Bakker's new wife, although she says nothing, we meet Roe Messner the builder of the theme park and Tammy Faye's new husband, and are party to Tammy Faye's meeting with the Charlotte paper's reporter who brought down the whole house of cards. He asks her for an autograph. She's a puzzlement.

; would not watch again

< Review: Irn-Bru | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Late night, early morning low clouds | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I saw the bike thing earlier by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:38:06 AM EST
but aren't cars usually around 35 PSI while (N speeds, anyway) are more like 3 times that pressure?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
It depends by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:40:12 AM EST
Road bike tires are much higher pressure (100+ psi) but MTB and city bike tires are much lower (35+ or 70+ psi). For those, 30 psi is enough to get you to the next bike shop where you can use a proper pump.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Yes, third or fourth comment down by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:40:25 AM EST
I meant RTFA lam3r.

Track tires take 200+ PSI <nt> by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:10:30 AM EST

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
But by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:20:33 AM EST
you'd probably have a pump available at a track.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Oh yeah. by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:25:28 AM EST
My coach uses a Silca pump, and it goes to 230PSI.  I'll probably get one since they're a lot cheaper than I expected ($60) and my Park pump is finally giving up the ghost after three years of service.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Golly Mr. Living in a $ 400k USD house by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:39:20 AM EST
I have no idea why a Mercedes-Benz dealership thinks you can afford one.

I am amused at my mass market demographic standing. Either they just go by my magazine subscriptions, or they don't work with credit agencies, since I often get financial planning stuff.

I already know my financial plan, pay off high interest credit card debt.

You may be right by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:41:58 AM EST
My zip code is shared with Back Bay where all the *uuml;ber rich people live.

That makes me an Atlantic Monthly subscriber in 02116. Yes, I guess that is their demographic, now that you point it out.

The Mercedes dealership is in Somerville, though!!!
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Oops by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:43:00 AM EST
Are you listed with the Chamber of Commerce? by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 01:59:43 PM EST
Or any other business owner groups?

That's where 90% of my "what rich bastard was this intended for?!" mail comes from.

If I am by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 02:06:11 PM EST
Hey by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:03:43 AM EST
I got a catalog from "International Male" the other day. My wife and I just laughed and laughed.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That was by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:15:12 AM EST
the single most popular catalog at the Diaz house.  Four females...the thing would disappear for days at a time.

I guess since there are lingere catalogs, with the same sort of plastic unrealistic scary models, then a male version is only fair.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

That and by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:21:51 AM EST
Yeah, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:26:14 AM EST
that one too.  The Diaz girls would get all squeaky when those came in the mail.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
haha by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 02:57:49 PM EST
my English roommate gets those catalogs all the time.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Ah, L'amour. by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 02:24:54 PM EST
I'm not entirely sure why, but Don Hertzfeldt always reminds me of Staplerfahrer Klaus which, as it turns out, someone also uploaded to google video.

Oooo, someone uploaded Rejected too. So many pirated short film classics, together in one place, it brings at tear to my eye..

Vive le Montréal libre.

Junk mail: by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 03:47:54 PM EST
You've been trollerized by Mercedes Benz. I'm sure Zipcar could use this whole situation as an ad of some sort.

Mercedes by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 04:33:39 AM EST
There must be some connection between your biking and the "Mercedes lifestyle".  I know a lot of middle-aged upper-middle class people are into cycling.

---------------
Cycling is the new golf by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 04:51:49 AM EST
Way cool by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #22 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 07:04:07 AM EST
where can I get long spandex pants in garish Tartans?

+1, Contains puppies by glamorgan (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 05:19:15 AM EST
That's all.

Sorry, but... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 03:35:56 PM EST
You know, I'm on my mother's side for this one - Anniversaries are meant for two people and everyone else should just butt out.

Birthdays are different - for mom's 60th we all pitched in and sent her to Vegas for a week.

My wife and I always do the same thing on our anniversary. Velcro the kids to the ceiling, head down to the bit city and redacted.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

Well by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 04:55:45 PM EST