Print Story Zero Wing
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 08:28:04 AM EST) Reading, Watching, Museums, Whisky, George Foreman (all tags)

What I'm Reading
Read Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore. Alternate-reality SF novel from the 1950s, reckoned to be a bit of a classic which helped start off the genre.

Read it as a teenager and thought it was a bit dull, but found it a lot more interesting this time around. It's fairly slow-moving, but the ideas are developed pretty well, though there's a lot of philosophical argumentation and tell-don't-show. Quite liked the picture of the Utopian academic commune. Thought it was a good touch that after losing the America Civil War, the North becomes more racist than previously after a backlash.

Also had a look through spoof travel guide Molvania: A Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry Captures the inanely patronizing guidebook tone pretty well, but the joke's spread way too thin over an entire book. Could have done with a bit more elaborate world-building as well as ugly/stupid jokes. Reminds me of that old "Not the Nine o'Clock News" sketch where Rowan Atkinson pretends to be a Belgian and the make jokes about burping and how bad Belgian food is. Dammit, do we have to make up countries to be prejudiced against now?

What I'm Watching
Saw that BBC dramatization of the famous "Rite of Spring" premiere, "Riot at the Rite". Concentrated a lot more on the actual ballet than I expected, seemed to pretty much do the whole thing through at the end (it was only 33 minutes and part of a larger programme). Moderately interesting, pitched at a fairly low level so fortunately my complete ignorance of ballet wasn't a handicap.

Museums
Tried to see the Michelangelo drawings at the British Museum, but even by 11 AM they'd sold out of anything before 4. Bah, come on people, it's not like he even bothered colouring them in. Looks like the summer tourogeddon is upon us and booking in advance is actually necessary sometimes.

So, dropped in at the Whitechapel gallery instead. Couple of exhibitions there: upstairs they've got a dozen or so models of buildings by architect David Adjaye, which are fairly interesting. Downstairs there was an Ugo Rondinone art exhibit entirely unpretentiously called zero built a nest in my navel. Quite restful actually: there's a kind of black plastic zen forest, a bunch of carved masks on the wall, soothing music and an artificial snowfall of shredded paper. Also a sound installation of people having an argument in a black room at the back. I got there on the last day apparently though. Observer review, interview.

Whisky
Still no Mackmyra. Bought a bottle of Suntori Yamazaki 10yo: has a kind of light, crisp, lemony flavour.

George Foreman
Still haven't had much luck with rare Tuna steak. Marks and Spencers have a horrible habit (with beef as well) of doing really good steak but cutting it very thin, so it's hard to cook rare. When I did manage it, with some Tesco tuna steak, it didn't seem that great: much fishier than tuna is when well-done, but not a particularly nice texture. Probably just my cooking though.

Found the swordfish steak a great success though. Didn't do that rare, just well done with salt, pepper and lemon juice: that was fishy but in a good way: kind of meaty texture but fishy flavour.

< Being Drunk With Family | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Zero Wing | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ahi by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 08:33:38 AM EST
I've never managed to cook tuna to a level that justifies the price. It always comes out crappy. Most other fish, I can cook. Salmon is dead easy to cook well. But tuna always comes out grey and dismal. Too bad, because when done right (at a restaurant) it can be wonderful.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Aha by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 08:35:55 AM EST
I thought it might be just me (and it probably is) but it seems to go from pink and totally raw to grey and overdone in about 4.5 seconds...
Exactly by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 08:38:10 AM EST
I suspect it requires attention to detail and accuracy not availble to most people in the home.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Freshness could also be a consideration by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:04:50 AM EST
Some types of fish get most ``fishy'' with every passing day while others tend to remain mild for a fair length of time. While I'd expect tuna to be fairly fresh out your way on the coast, it may not have been. Out here in the midwest, it's rare to find fresh fish at the market.

Cicero, The Republic
I don't think so by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:34:27 AM EST
The last attempt was on a really expensive cut from Whole Foods, claimed to have never been frozen, and I live where it's presumably freshest.

Anyway, it doesn't get "fishy" for me so much as gray and tough, like the stuff in the can. Not thrilling when you paid $14.95/lb.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

It was cooked the same day as purchased? by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:35:54 AM EST
If so, then I'm almost certainly wrong on the specifics.

Cicero, The Republic
oh yes by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 10:16:08 AM EST
We're talking multiple attempts and failures on the part about both my wife and I.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I've only had tuna success... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:53:32 AM EST
by scouring M&S for the odd couple of pieces cut thick.

Tescos was a complete washout.

Actually, I did have some good luck at one Morrison's fish counter, but then they changed monger and the quality of tuna coming in went down.

I did mine in pan though, coated with pepper, so YMMV.

pan by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 10:35:21 AM EST
We were trying the oven...probably our mistake.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Gah! by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 11:48:06 AM EST
There is One True Way of cooking tuna, and that is to fry it.  The exact specifics don't matter (I use thick steaks with a bit of salt+pepper, moderate heat, and a bit of olive oil) and then cook it for a couple of minutes each side (or more if you're not such a fan of raw food as me) and serve with lemon.

But leave plenty rare - it's almost like meat rather than fish, and really rather nice.

I'll try that. (nt) by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 12:05:52 PM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The only way I've done it. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 03:35:53 PM EST
And there's a layer I get which is delicious, in between the raw bit, and the exactly like in the tin bit.

or grill by garlic (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:11:49 PM EST
but direct heat is necessary. Baking is a definate nono.

Yes, or grill by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 10:13:07 PM EST
I relax my frying-based dogma to allow for grilling.  Though frying is my choice.

WIPO: Them all together by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 11:53:39 AM EST
which maintained so politic a state of boring that they will not admit any interesting part to intermingle with them.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Fishy tuna by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 10:58:28 PM EST
It might have been a bit off.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Rare tuna is rarely achieved by glamorgan (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 05:24:28 AM EST
Like you said in a previous comment, in goes from raw to well done is 3.8 seconds.  If you can time it right it's melt-in-your-mouth tasty.  Add wasabi mayo and a dry white wine......

Zero Wing | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback