Print Story I'm a waffle iron, I cook a little slow
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:15:06 AM EST) Java, music, tough guy, here comes the sun, runch, all this and more!! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Burping snot bubbles through my nose since 1972...

• Werd, Spring may finally be sprunging here in Clevia. It's about freaking time too, I, for one, am a right bit tired of always being cold. Cold cold cold, cold.
  • I got a new key-chain and I just got done swapping keys onto it. It's got a little hunk of leather hooked on it, so it's the kind that a "tough guy" would carry. Now I'm not a tough guy, no sir, but it's sometimes good to give that impression. You know, just in case you're in a tight spot sometime, all you have to do is flash your leather key-chain and BLAMO, instant respect baby. Along those lines, there are 3 keys on here that I can't seem to remember the respective locks they're associated with. What's a bloke supposed to do?
  • I picked up a copy of CakeWalk Sonar HomeStudio 4 XL over the weekend, and, woo, golly, it's a right beast. Thus far I've been pretty lucky though as it setup fine and I've got the midi working with my keyboard (although I've yet to really wrap my brain around it - the midi sequencer is a real beast) and the ASIO drivers are giving me 2ms latency with my SB audigy soundcard! Hoofa! No more time shifting every track after recording it. I'm able to record both midi and audio and have worked through about half the tutorials in the "users manual" without too much trouble. Well, the first couple hours were rather frustrating but after that things started to get better. This is going to be a long term project for sure.

Here's a short little doodle I put together yesterday (it's all midi except the guitar parts) that I'm not completely unhappy with, I think the flanger/tremolo on the lead guitar gives it a vintage 60's kinda vibe. The rhythm isn't real tight but given that I'm uber rusty from not having hardly played for 6 weeks I'm not stressed about it. I really dig being able to loop the recording and make take after take without having to "click stop, click create new track, click mute old track, click record" every time, Sonar automates all that for you so you can really get into a groove and not even think about the fact that your recording. Anyways, it's certainly light years beyond Audacity, although I still think Audacity is great to get started on.

• Chicken ~y~ Blocorri will be on the menu for runch today, sans the cholesterol laden wildcard egg lorr of course. I go back in to be retested for that in a month and I hope to get a good reading so's I can go back to eating like the pig that I am. Bah.
  • I've got no Monday morning meeting to attend today as Mr. McMurphey is off skiing in the Alps somewhere, so I think I'm going to head on down to the commissary and get me a nice hot cup o' java1. Woo, no cholesterol in java!
[1] The refreshing beverage, not the ponderously slow "carpal tunnel inducing" programming language.
< Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm a waffle iron, I cook a little slow | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Why the spandex hating? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:26:13 AM EST
I wear it, as an athletic undershort to keep the heat in on my hips and such. I always cover it baggy shorts, but it's there, underneath.

I agree on that Coldplay stuff, that's worse than phenobarbital.

Keep in mind by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:41:16 AM EST
My polls are very scientific and sometimes things go on the list that may or may not belong there. It's the only way to produce 100% accurate results in these matters.

re: Yep, I'd rather have a limb amputated than listen to that Coldplay crap.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I Would Rather by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:48:07 AM EST
Listen to Vogon poetry than listen to Coldplay.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
Good thing it's warming up by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:29:37 AM EST
opening day is nigh upon us, my good man. I look forward to the BAB baseball round up each week.

Right On! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:47:42 AM EST
It's only a week away! Crikey, I can't believe the time goes by that quickly. At this rate we'll all be dead soon.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I can mail you a bunch of keys if you like by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:35:01 AM EST
Nothing says that you're a real man like a keychain dangling from your belt by a leather strap with a couple fistfuls of keys. As fate would have it, I've got oodles of extra keys that I could mail to you if you like so that you can keep up appearances.

But what we're all really dying to know is if you have one of those yo-yos school janitors wear  that let's them pull the keyring up to the door to unlock it without taking the leather strap off of their belt.

Cicero, The Republic
No yo-yo! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:50:45 AM EST
I'm now down to only 4 keys.

I just made a command decision to damn the torpedoes and take the "unresolved" keys off the ring. I'm a bad bad man.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

You want heinous? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:40:58 AM EST
Take a look at this bug report for FireFox. Proof that Open Sores Software is Bad and Evil.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's classic! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:46:19 AM EST
How can that not be a troll? I mean, the bug may be real but the write-up just screams troll.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

This Is Why by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:55:22 AM EST
I run my personal "not to be read by anyone but me" stuff from an encrypted usb thumb drive.  Some day my paranoia will pay off.

that's got to be by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 08:36:50 AM EST
the most heart wrenching bug report ever. lol.

Nice mp3 by cam (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:49:47 AM EST
You have a good sounding guitar/setup.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thank you kind sir by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 06:14:41 AM EST
Having better tools is a big help.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Excellent by TPD (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:56:25 AM EST
That's a real quality recording!

the drum track is really good too!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Thank you kind sir by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 06:11:43 AM EST
Sonar comes with a REX plugin which lets you create/manipulate REX2 files then drag -n- drop them as a midi track which you can further manipulate then bounce to an audio track. The REX files they include all sounded great.

My mixing skills still leave a lot to be desired but now with the proper tools I'm hoping to make some strides forward.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

WIPO: People who abuse apostrophe's by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 06:12:26 AM EST
Losers, all of them.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
more like loser's by webwench (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:51:14 AM EST
am i rite guyz?

"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

O, Rogerborg by dr k (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:30:36 AM EST
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

:| :| :| :| :|

Worse than Coldplay?? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 10:02:10 AM EST
You kidder you.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Whilst we approve of the disdain by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 06:53:16 AM EST

we feel that a serious omission occurred by failing to place additional ironic "quote marks" around the phrase "programming language".

----