Print Story Allergy Update
By LilFlightTest (Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 10:41:15 AM EST) allergies, red 40 (all tags)
So, last round of tests yesterday, plus the "now what" meeting with the allergist.

only food i'm actually allergic to is shrimp. all my bloodwork and stuff was fine, so no thyroid disorder. no identifiable cause of hives. WTF, mate? so, we discussed my theory of #40, and planned a line of attack. for the next two weeks, i completely avoid anything with red 40, and keep a daily record of hive symptoms. for the two weeks after that, i have no restrictions (and will certainly purposely eat red things) and still record hives. if there seems to be a definite correlation, which there seems to have been, we can set up a double blind test. insurance will pay for it, so that's not an issue. also, since it seems that dye allergies are that rare, i could be a publishable case study. especially since i developed the allergy, and wasnt just born with it. however, i dont really care so much, since zyrtec completely prevents any sort of reaction. yay, zyrtec.

so, i recall one of you offering a sample of red 40...if i could get that, it'd be awesome. my other option is to check food coloring, or just use pure kool aid powder. drinking less than a quarter cup of kool aid has made me break out. eep.

that's all i've got right now. i'll keep you posted on what happens.

< Something in the way she moves | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Allergy Update | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If by ni (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 11:14:25 AM EST
this mysterious husiite can't provide, these guys can.

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown
heh by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 11:17:05 AM EST
what would i do with 100g of red 40?
Send me to Austria!
What WOULDN'T you do with 100g of red 40? /nt by ni (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 11:26:15 AM EST

Think metahistorically, act locally. -- CheeseburgerBrown
Paint the town? by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #5 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 01:43:52 PM EST
Sounds like a good idea.

How trusting are you? by Idempotent (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 01:24:07 PM EST
I mean, what noxious substances could be posted to you?

someone out to kill me by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 02:14:12 PM EST
wouldnt have phrased the offer the way it was...
Send me to Austria!
Not unusual at all. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 05:04:38 PM EST
One can become sensitised to nearly any compound.

did i just eat too much red? by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 06:06:00 PM EST
i'd really like to know why...
Send me to Austria!
If it truly is an allergy ... by dn (4.00 / 3) #9 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 09:32:32 PM EST
... I expect what happened is that something like a virus activated an immune cell clone, causing it to produce great gobs of a particular antibody. By coincidence, that antibody just happens to also match up with red #40.

It would be neat to do a gel electrophoresis of your antibodies, hit it with the dye, and see if a red band appears.

I ♥
 TOXIC
WASTE

Yay nerds! by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 08:26:47 AM EST

Just remember to use non-denaturing gels.  Probably the old rocket electrophoresis might be best.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

damn by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 09:21:57 AM EST
that would be a fun project...now i wanna try it.
Send me to Austria!
I'll get in touch with my friend... by fencepost (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 06:57:44 PM EST
Who runs a dye company's research lab and see what he can put together - the offer came from him when I asked his advice as he's seriously allergic to one of the yellows.

yep, twas you by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:50:03 PM EST
or, ask his opinion on using plain ol red food coloring. my other potential option is red kool aid mix, since less than a cup as made me break out..
Send me to Austria!