Print Story Saxomophone and a quickie entry
Music
By mmangino (Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 08:14:22 AM EST) puppies, saxophone, fart loving cowwqas (all tags)
Puppy pictures for MNS (3 months late), food stuff (as always) and a musical Friday

First, the puppy pictured promised to MNS for posting pictures of office doggie. Sure, their 3 months late, but better late than never.

I got out my Saxophone today. I used to play the sax. In fact, there was a time when I wanted to be a professional jazz musician. That lasted until I realized I have no talent. I haven't played in about 6 years, until today that is. I was listening to the Mingus Big Band, and had a strong urge to play along. I got out my sax, and was pleasantly surprised that I had a good reed. I was shocked when I was able to play immediately. In fact, my low range sounds better than ever. The higher stuff is horribly sharp. Still, I was able to play "Self Portrait in Three Colors" which is one of my favorite songs. I am definitely going to be picking up some more Mingus today.

I don't understand the cowwqas thing, but I feel like I should participate.

I'm cooking for a small dinner part today. Butternut Squash Bisque, Rosemary Foccacia and a Salad with a wonderful dressing is on the menu. I really hope I can find butternut squash or at least a pumpkin or two. Dessert is Creme Brulee.

I've been incredibly productive today, so I'm heading to the store. I don't have a car, so I hope I can carry everything on my list (including a 24pack of pop and 3 squashes) Then I'm going to make the creme brulee. I'll probably work for a few more hours after that.

Running update, My speed is up .2mph and I'm still doing well. My 10 miler last weeks was a breeze. We'll see how it goes in two weeks with the increased speed. I also think I'm running a 25k in Grand Rapids, MI in may.

That is all

< You watch out, you better not pout, you better not shop at Hot Topic, | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Saxomophone and a quickie entry | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
+1, Contains Puppies by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 08:23:33 AM EST

Also, watch your back in Grand Rapids. That town is crawling with pyramid schemers!

I have family from muskegon by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:25:47 AM EST
so I'm used to that part of the state. The only worthwhile thing (other than family, of course) is the musical fountain in Grand Haven. My wife disagrees, but that's only because her one visit happened to coincide with the "Women of barbershop quartet" show. Not their finest hour.

I liked Muskegon State Park by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:59:58 AM EST

But not enough that I'll miss it, once Operation: Huge Combined Great Lake Instead of the State of Michigan is a reality. I do recall some tasty crabcakes in Grand Haven, but it's all a blur, and I'm pretty sure they import crab from Maine, anyway.

kalamazoo air zoo by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:16:54 AM EST
send one of you're operatives to get the blackbird out of the airzoo before you sink the state. Then use the blackbird to fly around over the puddle and cackle.

Cowwqas. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:32:59 AM EST
Check out the front page, the tags used by Dr. Thrustgood while he was drunk out of his mind.  At some point shortly after he posted that I mentioned an urge to tag everything "fun loving cowwqas." (the period is important) since it was sticking in my head.  So I started doing that, and other people started doing it sort of simultaneous-like, and, well, Thrusty has started a new meme.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
*ahem* by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:39:45 PM EST
History Revisionist!

Who used the tag after Mr. Thrustgood?

Me. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 02:57:50 PM EST
You just submitted faster.  I had all those pictures to upload.

Kidding.  You know I love you.  Imitation, etc.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I would love to learn how to play sax by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:43:05 AM EST
sadly, I have yet to stumble across a decent one at a garage sale for $20 or less.

I wouldn't expect you will by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:03:40 AM EST
When I was young, stupid, and didn't understand the value of money I bought a professional sax. It's a Selmer Paris Super Action 80 and it is far and away the best thing I have ever played. On my old student horn, I couldn't hit any of the low notes cleanly. Now, even 10 years after I stopped practicing I can hit them at will. Good equipment is cool.

You can usually pick up a cheap trumpet for under $50, or a clarinet. They aren't quite as sexy as a sax, but they are still a blast to play.

I would pay $20 for a clarinet by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:13:33 AM EST
at least I could decide if I like playing woodwinds.

My dad found a cheap saxophone at a garage sale, the music shop told him to hang it on a wall, it looked to be a poorly made Korean one not worth repairing.

Yep by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:42:05 AM EST
That's often the case. I actually have two trumpets and an electric bass hanging on my wall. All three are playable, however. I plan on picking up a couple of clarinets to use as candle sticks. Ideally, I want at least one to be playable. I love playing the clarinet.

As far as liking woodwinds, I far prefer to play brass instruments. unfortunately, the only brasses I've spent any time playing are tuba and euphonium. They tend to be expensive and there isn't a lot of good swing music for them.

That reminds me by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:46:38 AM EST
I need to check ebay for a cheap trombone mouthpiece. I have a cheap trombone, but my sister took the mouthpiece, and now it's gone.

IMHO, aside from the trombone and french horn, the brass instruments are pretty interchangeable. I mostly played baritone, but I could pick up a trumpet and play it okay, the fingerings are all teh same.

$3800 for a sax? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:12:37 AM EST
Yeah, with an engine even by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:17:39 AM EST

That sounds heavy. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:17:48 PM EST
How do you get the energy to pedal?

Yeah, but that was 10 years ago. by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 07:40:24 AM EST
I was young and stupid then. It does play beautifully.

if you come to houston again by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:48:51 AM EST
then i have a clarinet for you.  it was an ok instrument when i got it back in....a million years ago.

Cool! by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 07:41:37 AM EST
It's looking more likely. With 2 places left to interview, Houston is probably still in the lead. We'll know for sure in May!

I want to play sax by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:13:06 AM EST
and join a ska band.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.