Print Story You watch out, you better not pout, you better not shop at Hot Topic,
MC Lars is coming to town.

He may be more punk than me, but he's far less punk than Suicidal Tendencies

Plus, contemplative session, no MILFs no cry but a better workout, our $20 a day drug habit and no side effects, alternate timelines and the fragility of life revealed in yet more small city moments, Irish food is an aquired taste,  goodbye to CP, gonna be a hard weekend and more!

Poll: Most expensive drug you've taken (pre-insurance cost)?

The local alternative station has MC Lars' Hot Topic is not Punk Rock in heavy rotation, mostly because he's coming into town to play a show in a month or two. I'm getting tired of it, while I understand and appreciate the anti-poser sentiment, I find the song trite, repetitive and boring.

It's probably my age, but when I feel a need to express my angst through punk, I find it hard to beat Suicidal Tendencies' Institutionalized. I guess I prefer my punk with guitar, bass and drums, I do like rap and spoken over music, but in it's own place (Rollins excepted). So give me the thundering drums, driving bassline and shrieking guitars while the angsty teen screams about his parents blaming him for their decions when all he wanted was a Pepsi.

Had a contemplative and sobering therapy session last week, we skipped week since she was in the Bahamas, and lately other things have interrupted the work at home. Got to get back to that grindstone.

I was able to workout yesterday at the Y, I'm not back to where I was in early January on the machines, but I'm getting there. It's amazing how much you lose when you take a 6 week illness break. No MILFs either for a change, well, maybe one or two.

My prescription insurance is better than I realized, unlike my former one, this one will pay for Mobic without a long detailed report showing every other concievable option was tried. My price was high, $45 for a 30 day supply, but the cost billed to my insurance company was $180. Mrs. Ha's antidepressants are billed at $450 a month ($30 at the register IIRC) so we're easily costing someone over $20 a day for drugs, but that's the price you pay so big pharm can have record profits and we can subsidize the Canuckistanis.

My Mobic is made in Mexico, at least my samples were. For $180 a month I could get better Mexican drugs, I bet. Another funny thing I noticed is that I rarely get the cool side effects, the Mobic said I might feel drowsy or dizzy, no such luck.

In yet some more Rochester is a small town moments, we experience alternate timelines and the fragility of life.

Mrs Ha. took Irish_girl to the hospital the other day and ran into Irish_sister with newborn baby S__. The small town thing is that she ran into a co-worker of ours from our group home days 16 years ago, who is now a nurse. I was attracted to her, something about cute, curvy redheads who didn't drive me up a wall. We almost went to a Ren Fest together, but I had to get back to school, so it didn't work out. But, I can imagine an alternate timeline when we dated, I wondered how it worked out?

In the next small town moment, there was a big article in our paper about a brain injured woman and the trouble she's been having since the accident. She used to work in Mrs. Ha's club, and Mrs. Ha found her to act very oddly indeed. The injury was never mentioned though, and she left, otherwise there might have been some understanding.

Irish food is an acquired taste. I made Irish soda bread last Saturday, and it didn't do a lot for me, it was hard and salty. But, preschool mom and Irish_girl tried it and loved it, as they have had it previously. I guess I made it right after all.

I may never go back to Chase-Pitkin again, I stopped in the other day for their last few weeks with 50-80% off, but didn't find much that I wanted. Goodbye.

It's going to be a hard weekend. Mrs. Ha is taking off to Buffalo this afternoon to pick up her mom and bring her back. Now that I know how much this wears me out, I will be taking time for myself, but we're still not going to get much of our Sunday alone time. The whole deal brings up family history and dynamics and just a whole barrelful of stress. I should have bought more beer.

< Reviews from a proactively wasted day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
You watch out, you better not pout, you better not shop at Hot Topic, | 44 comments (44 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dude. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:14:36 AM EST
I paid: $300 for 10 flexiril (when I was between jobs).  Insurance companies don't pay retail.  On the other hand, my Norco is $7.50 if I pay for it retial, $10 if I pay the copay(?!), so I normally pay for it off-insurance, which raises more than a few eyebrows.

My new SSNRI, Cymbalta, is pricey ($800) compared to the neurontin (generic, $250).  Heck, Dr Wife has one of the big four allergy meds (zyrtec?) and she pays $50 copay for $200 worth of stuff.

All Mobic is made in Mexico, where you can buy it at a pharmacia without a scrip for $20.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Those lucky Mexican athritics by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:20:12 AM EST
though with our byzantize tax laws, the $45 i pay for Mobic really costs me about $15.

The whole drug pricing thing is mind boggling, but I won't complain too much, I have a cousin working at Merck, and big pharm buys a lot of our melt the plastic on paper thingies.

What side effects did you get wth Mobic?

Heartburn, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:25:37 AM EST
no pain relief, and bad jitters.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
That would do it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:33:24 AM EST
I get better pain relief than ibu, though not as good as cortisone, no heartburn, and no more jitters than usual.

Wouldn't it be nice by blixco (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:39:13 AM EST
to be able to take steroids?  I mean, I axed my doc about it and he sez: I can give you a five or eight day medpac(tm), but past that you will start to (and here it is important to use my doctor's south Texas hispanic accent) "lose your goddamn mind and make angry and be covered in acne and your bolls, they will slowly shring and you will become woman!"

Versus losing my mind / being reprogrammed by whatever serotonin and norepinephrin floods I'm putting my brain through now, eh?  Hrm.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Good wine by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:17:14 AM EST
say, maybe in the $50/bottle and up category. Hardly a regular habit, but one helluva good delivery method.

That would be the Petrus option by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:21:26 AM EST
$50 might get you a shotglass full.

hah, show's my wine knowledge! by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:24:33 AM EST
since we stick to $10-$20/bottle stuff and are quite happy there. I've had the $$$ stuff, and boy it is good, but that's a very expensive habit to get into.

I've never tried it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:26:14 AM EST
but I do electronically hang with deadheads (not real deadheads, since one has a PhD and is famous in the online opera world, and the other is dead but went to high school with PigPen and knew Jerry on a first name basis) who rave about it. But then, they can afford to go to Bayreuth for the Ring cycle, they can afford Petrus or LePin.

Speaking of beer by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:17:54 AM EST
The Octoberfest started at the end of Janurary was bottled last Saturday with next weekend marked as the first taste-testing. Eight pounds of grains plus another 8 of liquid malt should make this batch have quite a kick. I lost about a gallon of fluid to the yeast which I have mixed feelings over. On the one hand, I know this is going to be a strong beer becuase of it. On the other, I lost a gallon of beer.

Gollywhompers, those poor yeasties by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:22:26 AM EST
what did you use to survive all that sugar, a champagne variety?

White Lab's by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:27:49 AM EST
Octoberfest/Märzen Lager. Though I have to say it didn't like the 45-50 F range that it said it would. I eneded up sticking it in the bathroom again which was averaging about 60-65 F. It went at a full bore for about three days before it backed down to a more even pace over four to five.

Whoa, insurance covers cocaine? by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:18:50 AM EST

I feel so used!

Actually, voting in the poll was complicated, as it wasn't clear just how much supply was in question. For instance, 180 bucks may seem like a shitload of money for pharmaceuticals, but I presume that's a month's supply. From what I hear, 200 bones isn't entirely unreasonable for a night's supply of cocaine, so, extrapolating out to a full month, that'd come out to about 6000 a month.

Have you made sure to overconsume alcohol with the Mobic? That might be what's causing the drought of dizziness and drowsiness. Only one way to find out.

Alcohol is a CNS depressant by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:24:30 AM EST
and I know even without Mobic I feel sluggish the next day if I have more than 2 (gack, I've become such a lightweight).

OTOH, alcohol is a lot like Rush (the Canuckistani prog-metal band, not the small vial of heart medicine) to me, I have very pleasant memories of consuming a lot of it, but nowadays any more than a small amount is tedious.

how many people are you HEARING about by 256 (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:15:57 PM EST
this cocaine lasting one night for?

at toronto prices one person would be hard pressed to go through seventy canadian dollars worth.

or so i hear.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Well, I HEARD that'd be for two people, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #37 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 02:06:18 PM EST

but it'd only be one person's HALF of the cost. Though, in all fairness, from what I HEARD, the amount is staged; there's the first delivery, then the second call goes out around 2am or so, after which the second delivery comes, sometimes with a price break. Also, keep in mind, the situation I HEARD about was all in NYC, so the price might be a little higher than elsewhere.

But, as you know, this is all hearsay... Just like yourself, I'm an upstanding, law-abiding citizen who would never engage in debaucherous and illegal activity like buying cocaine. That stuff supports terrorism, after all!

absolutely by 256 (2.00 / 0) #39 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 02:25:37 PM EST
we should get together sometime and talk about how we don't do any of that stuff.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Fertility drugs by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:23:17 AM EST
For the wife. A little vial cast $50 bucks and at one point we were doing 6-8 vials twice a day. (Though usually for only 7-10 days a month.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That totally sucks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 07:27:23 AM EST
ad I'm glad we never had to deal with that, even with the pain of a miscarriage.

worst part by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 08:30:56 AM EST
Having nine months of treatments fail and a year later discovering a drug with almost no side effects that was $68 for a month's supply.

Ok, that wasn't the worst part. The worst part is the hell all the hormones put my wife through.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Could be worse by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:08:56 AM EST
You could have had quints!

----

Don't laugh by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:46:38 AM EST
Our doctor wouldn't even prescribe the medication unless we expressed willingness to consider selective abortions.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Oh I'm not laughing by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 12:56:42 PM EST
ROFLWIFE worked in the IVF for a while.

----

Ho. Ly. Crap. by skippy (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:24:32 AM EST
I don't even want to bust out the calculator to figure out how much THAT cost.  Ouch.  That's like in the renovate-your-entire-house-OR-try-to-have-kids range.

Damn.

Yes by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:32:58 AM EST
We spent like $10k trying to have kids after taking into the account that the insurance picked up half.

I dunno which was worse, having that $10k fail, or discovering a year later that a $68/month medicine worked better and made my wife feel better (as opposed to fertility drugs, which made her feel worse.)

But I'm not bitter...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Out of curiosity by skippy (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:57:33 PM EST
What medicine did you end up with?

metformin by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #41 Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 04:58:30 AM EST
Anyone having fertility issues should google metformin infertility before doing anything.

(Also called glucophage.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Suicidal Tendancies Represent by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 08:18:57 AM EST
Of course, I prefer their alter ego, Infectious Grooves. Trujillo rocks!

$225 a month for Mobic? by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:02:10 AM EST
Just how much of the stuff are you taking?

12 a day?

15 mg a day by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:26:34 AM EST
or 2 7.5 mg a day.

Someone is making money off this, you can get it for $20 in Mexico.

Sweet Jebus... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:56:52 AM EST
The sooner you guys in the US get up off the barrel that Big Pharma has you over, the better.

Yeah, for something invented in Europe by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:59:12 AM EST
in 1966, the patent should have run out. You gosh darn patent controlling Europeans, drug recipes want to be free!

I hear there's this 14-year old dude by dmg (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:05:07 AM EST
Making drugs in his basement from an open-sores recipie...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
WIPO: bottle of 68 LaTour by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 09:09:27 AM EST
mmmmmmm

----

Fudge you Worst Pills, Best Pills by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 10:00:22 AM EST
I went to the libary over lunch and read up on Mobic. They say ibu is just as effective.

Yeah, right, maybe for most people but I feel a huge difference, and I don't like taking 1800 mg if ibuprofren a day.

MC Lars is a wanker by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #30 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:11:08 AM EST
Hes so "Punk Rock" he comes from a town thats 94.5% white, 69% of the pop is over 45, and teh median income is $90K/year. He wouldnt know punk rock if Ian MacKaye slapped him with a trout.

PS: All I wanted was a Pepsi

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

sounds like a good punk rock breeding ground by 256 (2.00 / 0) #36 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:57:10 PM EST
to me
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
MC Lars is awesome by 256 (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:19:34 PM EST
i didn't know that Hot Topic was the radio single. that makes me sad. when i downloaded the album, that was the only song that i ended up not putting on my regular playlist.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
What does he do good? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:24:27 PM EST
I expect that station has about 50 listeners, so my request has a good chance of going through.

my favorites are: by 256 (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:33:09 PM EST
Straight Outta Stockholm
Mr Raven
Ahab
Space Game

Signing Emo is also good and was released as a CD single, so i would be surprised if the station didn't have it
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Well, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #38 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 02:12:45 PM EST
£5 a day for my food supplements. I've not managed to peer over my GP's shoulder to see the price of my other drugs.

I managed to get myself some pills prescribed that I saw on the shelf for 14p each in the shop. I confused Loritadine with Lansaprazole. Hmmm, OTC antacids are no good.

They're planning to get me some, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #42 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 03:42:00 PM EST
which is about £1000 a dose, those. Taken intravenally, and only a few times, to acheive clinical remission.

Good luck with that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #43 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 03:45:49 PM EST
I have a good friend from high school who went into remission from leukemia with Gleevac, I think he's even mentioned in the writeups on it. I don't know exactly what it costs, but in the neighborhood of thousands a month.

Cheers. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #44 Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 04:42:03 PM EST
Hopefully it will stop the apparent delamination that appears imminent in my colon.

I had an appointment due to sort it on Thursday, but I was awoken (at 8ish) this morning by the sound of my Dad shouting it the hapless person who called to give the message. My parents then proceeded to exhaust the goodwill that could have got me squeezed in early with calls to all & sundry. I was pissed off.