Print Story What is that I am bleeding on my desk
By cam (Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 05:52:35 AM EST) Project, Flightsim, Current Account Deficit, Giorgio Agamben (all tags)
it isn't blood, oh, it is hours ....

Project

Feeling pressed for time with this project. I am not able to complete things fast enough. Worse this project has been wearing my brain out. At night I am reduced to a game playing zombie, barely able to think critically or absorb high-falluting philosophical concepts. My writing output on such subjects has dropped dramatically.

Game

After posting this video yesterday, I pulled out the joystick and played Pacific Fighters for a while. I started off with a Zero (Zeke) and shot down a bunch of American Wildcats. Then had fun in a Val dive bombing the Saratoga. It was cool to sweep in and destroy Wildcats on deck with 30Kg bombs.

Once I got bored of that I started flying around in a P39 and then a P40. I love the P40, it is a quintessential American design. Tough as Hades, not brilliant, but in the right place (ie everywhere) in the right numbers and with the right amount of performance to do the job.

I got bored of shooting things with .50 cals, so looked to the 20mm cannon. Started flying around in an RAAF Spitfire VIII with "sharks teeth" and making a mess of the Japanese opposition. I am out of practice though, my deflection shooting is not what it was. The Spitfire is pretty vulnerable to engine hits too, so attacking Bettys from behind and below usually ends up in pain.

As the night wore on, 20mm cannons were not enough, so ...... BRISTOL BEAUFIGHTER .... 4x30mm cannons, 4x .303mgs ... rockets, bombs etc etc. So I flew along, shooting up airfields, diving on Japanese fighters and giving them a cone of cannon and mg fire. Fun, fun, fun.

Data

Australia's Current Account Deficit in graphs. Australia has very little public debt, running balanced budgets has been a priority in Australia at federal and state level, so most of the deficit is private consumption/use.

Text

State of Exception is becoming an increasingly important text. The innovation of the constitution has made it harder for absolute power to be achieved. In this century the executive has been achieving it through claiming exception - tumultus - a long war, that will go on forever, and emergency powers are needed forever too. We end up in a state of voters legitimizing an executive who acts without law, not above, but without.

cam

< I'm naughty by nature | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
What is that I am bleeding on my desk | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You've got time coursing through your veins! by lm (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 06:34:34 AM EST
I think Locke had a pretty good go of showing that being ``above the law'' is equivalent to being ``without law'' and, in his view, results in the need for the people to rebel.

Cicero, The Republic
I have been meaning to write more on Agamben by cam (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 06:38:11 AM EST
I dont do him justice in those couple of sentences, I wanted to do a detailed essay on his ideas which started with dicussing Cincinattus and Cicero ..... He has one passage that I grapple with as to why a dictator is different to the state of exception. I have been meaning to dump it on Gary Sauer-Thompson too.

Instead of need, how about a moral duty? If the natural state of mankind is to deny tyranny against his person, then surely it becomes morally imperative to rebel.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Locke's Second Treatise on Government by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 07:44:02 AM EST
IIRC correctly, Locke argues that a law saying that anyone has unlimited authority is no law, but a self-defeating contradiction. You can make the sounds to say it or write the words on paper, but it has no more meaning than a square circle or an invisible pink kitten. Rather it's merely an artifact of language that allows contradictions to be expressed.

If I remember I'll look it up tonight.

Calling Locke's conception of rebellion a ``moral duty'' rather than a ``need'' is probably more true to Locke's thinking as far as most people see it, but I think the worlds are roughly equivalent in context. A duty is an imperative, an ought, a need, and a necessity. But I can see how the equivocal and analogous uses of the word ``need'' might get some people's bowels all in an uproar.

Cicero, The Republic
Spitfires in the Pacific by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 01:31:52 AM EST
Did that ever happen?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yep by cam (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 04:34:42 AM EST
Australian and British spits. 80 Wing was moved from Europe to Darwin to protect it against the Japanese raiding that was going on. It comprised 452 RAAF, 457 RAAF and 54 RAF.

79 Sqn RAAF flew in New Guinea and Moratai with Spitfires, and IIRC No.85 RAAF flew Spitfires in home defence protecting Broome/Perth?

The RAF also built up a couple of squadrons in Australia really late in the war, like June 1945, in preparation for the invasion of Japan. Those pilots were mainly Australian EATS anyway.

I will post some pics in a diary of them. The Au camouflage and markings were real odd in the Pacific theatre as they were so far away from officialdom they often just made up their own camouflage and markings with whatever was handy.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

You really know your stuff by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 05:44:59 AM EST
Will look forward to the pics

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I am a bit of a sucker for history by cam (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 05:57:04 AM EST
Though I had to fiddle around with Pacific Fighters' config files and skins to get an RAAF Spitfire into the campaign.

This is what I was flying around, a "Grey Nurse" 457 Sqn Spit.

457