Print Story Throb throb throb
By ad hoc (Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 10:20:43 AM EST) illness, bikes, mlp (all tags)
Pound pound pound

My cold is starting to wane. My abs hurt from coughing, my head is pounding, and my throat is as red and raw as something from a Wes Craven movie. My voice is now a rousing basso profundo instead if its usual pleasant 2d tenor. But it's getting better. I don't want to see any more tea for quite some time.

I don't think I'll have recovered enough to go to Arctic Monkeys tomorrow night. Shame. But all I need is to be laid out for another week.

Ultracommuter

Some day.

You're all terrorists

My horoscope today says:

After days -- or maybe even weeks -- of rooting around, trying to find someone you can truly get close to, you'll be more than happy with today's events. The universe has seen fit to get you connected with someone who'll be able to let their hair down, become truly intimate, and partner up. Ready? Because this is the real thing. Of course, you can't win if you don't play. So, if you know someone who answers this description, make sure you're with them. If you don't, get dressed and prepare to mingle.

You need no further evidence that horoscopes are bunk.

The exterminators were here today. What I thought was a mouse that died in the wall was, in fact, a mouse that died in the wall. The stench that creates, you wouldn't believe. He found a big hole where they'd been going in and out, so he put some expand-o-foam in there to plug it up. Why would a mouse want to chew its way into my office closet? There's nothing to eat in there. It started when the company in the unit downstairs moved out. I think packing up all their filing cabinets and stuff made them search for a new home or something. But, it looks like it's now been taken care of.

Purchases:

*Nashbar Deluxe cork tape $5.26
*Nashbar in-line cable adjusters $4.46
*Continental Ultra Sport Hometrainer tire $31.46
*Nashbar Moustache Handlebar $13.45

Mdse: 54.73; Shipping: 8.25; Total: 62.98

Attention crispyduck infidel: I saw a Brompton this morning. It wasn't orange, though.

Radio Paradise is playing some guy named "Tom Waits". Step Right Up
< Meltdown | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Throb throb throb | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The solution to your mouse and horoscope by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 10:29:23 AM EST
you need a cat, preferably a dog friendly one.

Ah, but I have a cat-hating dog by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 11:05:46 AM EST
You should invite MNS over by Forbidden (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 02:46:19 PM EST
Tell him to wear his special suit.

You once was.
Change your shorts by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 10:32:31 AM EST
change your life, change your life, change you into a 9 year old Hindu boy and get rid of your wife.

----

Can we get a NSFW on the intro to this diary? by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 10:35:33 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
No. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 11:06:34 AM EST
Attention Americans by cam (4.00 / 3) #4 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 10:38:22 AM EST
"rooting" in Auian means copulating.

Your horoscope just called you a slut.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I love Auisms. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 11:09:13 AM EST
He's winding you up - it means shaking hands by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 10:10:34 PM EST
So always be sure to ask OZians to give you a good hard rooting when you meet them.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I think I saw that in a movie once by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 06:26:25 AM EST
Bike the continent by ChiefHoser (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 11:17:44 AM EST
That would be so much fun. My stepping-stone-goal is to bike Calgary to Thunder Bay when I finish my current degree, and then the rockies.

Vancouver to St. John's would be the ultimate ride.
--------------

Chiefhoser

My neighbor by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 11:39:10 AM EST
did the northern US route.

Canada is much wider than the US, assuming you're going coast to coast. Start and UBC and end at, what ? St. John's? I guess you'd hit the Atlantic in NB. The question is, would you go through Maine or around?

Thunder Bay is only half way.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Interesting handlebars... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 12:29:52 PM EST
Pardon my ignorance - but they seem awfully inexpensive, compared to other bike hardware. Are they really that good?

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
Sure by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 02:15:29 PM EST
They're plain aluminum. They're for my new around town/cross bike. These are one sale (they're probably being discontinued). The usual price is $30 which is about normal for aluminum handlebars. If you get more exotic aluminum alloys, more aerodynamic or hard to manufacture shapes, or go into carbon, they'll cost more. There isn't anything terribly difficult in manufacturing handlebars. It's just a bent tube. Other parts have intricate CNC machining or intricate mechanics which cost a lot more.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Trainer Tire by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 03:23:55 PM EST
That's the first time I've ever heard of a tire meant specifically for riding a trainer.  I've always used tires too worn for road use or the el-cheapo tires on the trainer.  The CompuTrainer I got last year has a rubber roller, so it's really easy on the tires.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Mine just eats tires by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 05:03:46 PM EST
This year I got a ultra cheap tire just for the trainer. Now I have a bead of melted rubber down the middle of the roller. And a spray of rubber dust on the wall behind the trainer. My used tires always wore out with cuts that puncture tubes when up to pressure, so I can't even use them on the trainer.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
Yay, Brompton by crispyduck (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Mar 22, 2006 at 11:05:10 PM EST
I don't see so many of those now I'm out of London, so now it's all Bromptons that are exciting, not just the orange ones. :)

Throb throb throb | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback