Print Story You are PATHETIC
Music
By TPD (Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:24:04 AM EST) SWWNO, Art, Guitars (all tags)
so am I...

however this is not really a diary about you or me (well actually there's a fair bit of me) but this is a diary mainly about SWWNO.

She Who Will Not Tiebreak: She who will not ....

with da boy PEPSI and SBOH off up to where they divent speak proper, I'm looking after the girl on my own.... (well me and the TV). SWWNO's reaction to hearing this.... "Mummy's not going to be able to boss us about!"

My girl has teh M4d Art Skillz.... oh yes she does

Angelina Ballerina

She also has someone else's school shoe......... hmmmmmm.

Mr Crowley... it's coming together I can now almost play some really bad bastardisations of the widdly bits (to bring them into my finger speed and ability range). Yesterday my fingers were really burning up the fret board. I'm going to try recording my attempts either today or tomorrow (before the wife returns.

I find the places where it gets into the high end of the fret board really fiddly with my big fat fingers. My guitar has a 25" scale maybe it's easier on a strat scale(?).

They really should make a guitar where the frets lower down were closer together and the ones past the 12 fret are further apart. Bad planning if you ask me! Also my intonation is fucked.

Wasn't there some mention of London beers for sometime in the next couple of week..... or am I dreaming that.

Work I have come across a big "ha that last refactor was fundementally flawed" stumbling block not too hard to fix... but to fix nicely that's the bugger!

< Tunick's Teacakes | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
You are PATHETIC | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Breaking the tie by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:30:02 AM EST
She who will not .... own up when she's done something wrong in the hopes that it'll all just blow over and she'll get away with it scot free.

Or is that just my daughter?

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

I didn't realize you knew my daughter. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:32:02 AM EST
Hrm.... I'd better check the lock down settings on her web browser.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
No 3 out of 3 so far by TPD (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:42:25 AM EST
but even when questioned my daughter is quite happy to blame mum (or dad depending on who she's speaking to), PEPSI, any friend, Father Christmas, the tooth fairy, lizard or society (amongst others), rather than take the wrap herself!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
she needs a brother by martingale (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:46:14 AM EST
Then she'll take the wrap before he can get his grubby little paws on the christmas present himself!
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
curse you homophones by TPD (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:49:57 AM EST
once again you've defeated my feeble brain box!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
In all fairness, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:04:54 AM EST

Lizards really are responsible for a lot of stuff that they never get blamed for. Same with bears, and the tooth fairy.

Dads too by TPD (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:09:06 AM EST
wasN'T me

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
A future party leader? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:47:59 AM EST
tiebreak: SWWN by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:32:33 AM EST
eat her vegetables.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
SWWN by TPD (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:35:10 AM EST
get any pudding unless She eats her vegetables!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
But.... Daddy.... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:42:27 AM EST
you're not really angry, are you?

(said with head cocked and one finger slowly twirling her hair...)

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

Dude, by blixco (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:03:50 AM EST
that's creepy.  Quit it.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
It would work a lot better if by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #15 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:25:02 AM EST
you couldn't actually see the gears turning in her head as she decided what technique she was going to use.

How do you think big girls learned those techniques for manipulating men?

They start when they are very young, my friend.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

They *can* start when they're very young. by calla (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:00:15 AM EST
Not all women/little girls pull that shit.

Oooo. Struck a nerve? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #26 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:23:53 AM EST
Seeing how my 3 sisters were all complete tomboys, I have to agree.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.
I get frustrated with stereotypes. by calla (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:29:13 AM EST
I also have a 12-year-old daughter that couldn't be manipulative if her blogs depended on it.

Don't look to me for advice. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:35:24 AM EST
What's interesting is her brother is the opposite. When he was young he was so utterly honest and straight forward - even when he knew it would cost him - it was breathtaking.

He was almost 14 before I caught him, not even in a lie, just hiding something from me.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

I'm wondering... by calla (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:44:59 AM EST
does a girl learn that manipulative crap by having a dad respond to it?

Nature/nurture by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #30 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 08:54:53 AM EST
I suspect both play a role - but I have to say that, in my case, it usually has a negative effect - because I can tell when she's really in distress and when she's faking.

It's unnerving the way she can turn the heads of an entire group of adults though - male and female - with that kind of a routine. Then I stomp up and lay down the law and people think I'm just awful.

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.

One night, about 5 years ago give or take by Cloaked User (4.00 / 5) #14 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:11:45 AM EST
We were all preparing to go to bed. Our daughter was still so young that she slept in her cot in our room, and at the time was sat on the floor by our bed.

A friend of mine had bought her a lamp as a birth gift - it had a little piece of plastic surrounding the bulb that rotated, shining pictures of fluffy sheep onto nearby surfaces.

She was playing with it, touching it, generally messing with it, and my gf had told her a couple of times not to touch it (for fear of her burning herself). She wasn't doing as she was told, so I came round the bed to tell her off and take it off her.

As I stood there, just about to start, she turned, looked up at me, and said "Dada!" for the first time ever. We both melted into little pools of goo, all thoughts of chastisement forgotten.

Manipulative little cow.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Cool rat by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:36:01 AM EST
I like the way there is a small rat to the right, thus showing us that the middle rat is actually a scary four foot high one.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Scary?!? by TPD (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:07:26 AM EST
but it's wearing a pink tutu.... even godzilla wouldn't be scary in a pink tutu!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
My MiL is scary in a pink tutu by lm (4.00 / 2) #16 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:31:13 AM EST
But that's a different kind of scary.

Cicero, The Republic
but wouldn't she be by TPD (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:41:25 AM EST
even more scary out of it

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
That all depends by lm (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 04:04:01 AM EST
On what, if anything, she was wearing under it.

Cicero, The Republic
Addendum by lm (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 04:53:27 AM EST
Perform this simple thought experiment.

Imagine a clown. This is scary.

Imagine that same clown in a pink tutu. This is terrifying.

Cicero, The Republic
Intonation by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #18 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:44:20 AM EST
Changed your strings recently?  New strings hold their intonation far better than old ones.  Fuck knows why, it doesn't really make sense.

But if you're still out, fixing the intonation isn't actually that bad as long as you've got an accurate tuner (assuming you've got a strat-style bridge).

Basically, you tune the string in question very accurately - VERY ACCURATELY - and then play the 12th fret and see how it shows on the tuner.  If it's sharp, you need to move the saddle further from the neck.  If it's flat, move it closer.

How much you need to move it will come with practice, but as a guide you're unlikely to need to move anything more than 2-3mm.

There are some subtleties, such as the fact that fretting a string will naturally sharpen it slightly compared to the open string (so fret lightly) but the chances are you can get it "good enough".  And as intimated above: don't do this with old strings!  You'll end up compensating for crappy strings rather than an incorrectly set up guitar.

Exactly. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:47:23 AM EST
Fine tuning is a bit of a pin, though, depending on the bridge.

And it helps to have decent tuning machines.  I changed the ones on my Ibanez, and goddamn if that didn't make it a thousand percent better.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Old strings by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 04:37:51 AM EST

Its down to two (maybe three) things, or so I read.

Firstly, the oil, dead skin and general hand-scuzz slowly laquers itself over the string and deadens the whole thing. This is particularly bad on the 'wound' strings as it can get in the grooves between the 'winds' and essentially act like an uneven cushion. This effect is naturally much heavier at certain places on the string (common hand / finger positions) than others (12th fret of low E rarely gets played, for example).

Secondly, over time, the string suffer from localized stretching. When you finger a string over a fret, to a certain extent the underside of that string bites (or at least drags) on the fret as you pull the string down behind it. There's a similiar, but more attenuated, effect caused by the string curving round the placed finger whilst being simultaneously crushed against the fretboard. Over time, these effects accumulate.

Thirdly, I heard some scat of dubious provenance regarding 'chemical weathering' due to the effects of sweat on certain alloys. I don't really buy it (haven't looked into it), but thought it might as well get mentioned.

Still; at least decent guitar strings are cheap; you could be unlucky and play a double bass ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
In that case you're probably not playing correctly by komet (4.00 / 1) #32 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 10:47:35 AM EST
Do you perhaps always play in the same few keys? You should try to play in all 12 keys around the circle of fifths, otherwise the frequency response of the strings wears down unevenly, and the less-used frequencies exert localised Van der Waals forces which unbalance the tonal response. As proof, when your strings sound old again, try jamming only in D-flat major for two weeks. You will find your music suddenly sounds brighter and happier when you go back to A, E and G major.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Drinks: by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 04:19:01 AM EST
I mentioned a couple of times about doing something while Millman was in town, which is this weekend, but I'm not up to a night out in the pub (wa, wa, wa, waaaa), and a bit skint, and besides which, there were no blue moons during which I could post about it.

is that an amputee rat ballerina? by 256 (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 09:11:14 AM EST
AWESOME!

i suggest she option out the movie rights.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

No it's an Angelina Ballerina by TPD (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 12:18:07 PM EST
As seen here