Print Story 0819: Make me somewhere I can call a home
Travel
By stark (Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:20:29 PM EST) sleep, nightmares, work, brussels, ghent, beer, art nouveau (all tags)
Early support again. I love the faint headache you get as your body protests against the unnatural time of day. I couldn't get to sleep last night, and this morning the alarm woke me in the middle of an uneasy dream about an exam - I had filled in answers to all the questions and was feeling pretty confident, until the invigilator persuaded me to check my paper. At that point I realised there was an entire section that I hadn't completed, involving having to draw a sketch of a still life involving marbles.

Luckily I was able to snooze for ten minutes, which was enough to allow my brain to complete a sketch and reassure me a little. I'm slightly depressed that my nightmares are so cliched.

Poll: What is your most common nightmare?

Have had to apologise to someone at work after sending a rather terse email yesterday. I get rather too passionate (read: angry) about people who don't read emails - if we make a change and ask people if they have any objections to us checking it in, they don't have the right to complain when we check it in a few days later.

Trip to Brussels over the weekend was good: went to a beautiful town called Ghent on the Saturday, out for a Thai and to a traditional Belgian cafe, Cafe Cirio for a few beers. Saturday's booze count:

• Palm
  • Hoegaarden Premier Cru
  • Two glasses of some rather too sweet Gewurztraminer
  • Corona
  • Chimay
  • A brand of Gueuze, whose name I forget
  • I think I had another, but I really can't remember

Sunday was spent on a wander around the centre of Brussels including the Grand Place (astonishing), a Chimay in the Cafe Metropole, then to the Horta Museum (virtual tour), a gorgeous Art Nouveau house.

We were staying with friends of the gf, whose hospitality was magnificent, including providing wonderful breakfasts and a lovely dinner on Sunday evening before our Eurostar trip back. Thanks!

0852

< Bloody hell it's quiet round here. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
0819: Make me somewhere I can call a home | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: Hippies by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:39:24 PM EST
Hippies everywhere, spreading their filthy messages of peace, love and tolerance.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Take a chill pill, man. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:45:52 PM EST
No need to come over all heavy, like, man.

Is it the long, greasy hair, by stark (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:48:20 PM EST
badly thought-out ideologies or their operating systems that you find most frightening?

U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
The above, plus the can't be reasoned with by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 12:30:30 AM EST
They just stink and toke, and make little baby hippies.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
WIPO: Teeth falling out. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:43:26 PM EST
Not that unusual. I think the fact that I'm really worried because I know I've dreamt it before, but this time, it's actually for real.

WIPO: I dont have many by creo (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:51:35 PM EST
but the most common would be the trusty teeth falling out one. I forget what its suppossed to siginify, but I believe it's fairly common.

I get it 3 or 4 times a year.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

How interesting by stark (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 20, 2006 at 11:57:46 PM EST
I can't ever remembering having that dream, but as you say, it seems to be pretty common.
So, I had so many pursuit dreams by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 02:40:24 AM EST
and missing-class dreams that they stopped being frightening and started being annoying. So, one night, I actually realized (a) I was dreaming and (b) if this was all in my head, then I should be able to change it and I began manipulating my dreams.

Lots of people can do this - the weird part is that the dreams actually reacted to my attempts to change them - if I tried to get rid of the pursuers the would come back in another form. If I tried to change the environment, the buildings would become huge and baroque and I'd get lost.

I also knew I had played way to many video games when I realized my dreams had save points.

Because of these bits and my willingness to screw with my own head, for a couple of years my dreams were a cross between The Terminator and American McGee's Alice

The doctor said it was the worst case of cookie-blindness he'd ever seen.